Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Rich65square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

Hello All

Im having a bit of an issue getting a carpet set for my 65 type 3 square in so much that all retailers only seem to spec their carpets to fit type 3's from 68-72

ive curerntly placed an order with heritage for a TMI 9 piece set but they are reluctant to order as my vehicle is a 65. they looked on the TMI website and its also unclear on there as to the fit and compatibility.

SO im wondering is there much if any difference in pedal layout, floor pan or heater gromit locations in terms of type 3 years, should a carpet fit all years?
Also my 65 only came with carpet up front the rear only had rubber matts so would only use the front pieces anyway.

Current status is that heritage are currently checking with TMI directly, but i cant see that obtaining a carpet set for a pre 68 type 3 is impossible

Any thoughts appreciated
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

Have you seen this?

http://type3headquarter.de/epages/7b2adfc2-5ed3-413a-a890-a7d330065b6b.sf/de_DE/?ObjectID=588296
Rich65square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, no dont believe i have seen that and it looks good. SO going by the information it seems the only difference is the squared bezel for the heater outlet. if no other options arise this maybe the only period correct carpet option available to me. which would be a shame as it says only available in this color which going by the pictures is blue or grey and i need grey so is it a gamble? do you get grey or blue?? Confused
UPDATE just used google translate and it seems default color is Anthricte/Grey
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone has seen or ordered this kit
VW Type 3 1600 Variant Squareback FULL CARPET SET COGNAC VELOURS https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122888354

I see it is missing the grommet holes for the heater channels, but curious on fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

It seems to be hit or miss as to getting the heater outlet in the right place when ordering from TMI. It's come up several times...
Rich65square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all

Im just still a miffed as to what the difference is between a pre and post 68 type 3 when it comes to the world of carpet shopping. other than the heater channel output im guessing the rest should be the same, with perhaps the odd small modification for adding holes for the central heating controls on early cars
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

Rich65square wrote:
Thanks for the replies all

Im just still a miffed as to what the difference is between a pre and post 68 type 3 when it comes to the world of carpet shopping. other than the heater channel output im guessing the rest should be the same, with perhaps the odd small modification for adding holes for the central heating controls on early cars

The big issue is TMI not getting the front heater outlet in the right location. Some have been put in to high, while others are too low. You might try and see if Heritage can order the kit without the front heater outlet holes. It shouldn't be that big of deal, since you already have to put in the rear kick panel heater outlet holes.
But yes, the rest of the kit is on, except for the lack of a hole for the early style heater control (on the side of the tunnel).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

Fabrik Mike in Manchester sells real nice square weave carpet etc for your or his custom installations. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1000060924...riends.all
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nikon-User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

I have a similar issue to get a nice carpet for my 64' notch...

At the end, I tried 2 suppliers and now I will do it by myself.

Just bought the material from a local upholstery (Haargarn-Bouclé square weave) and will start to make the paper pattern in the next days....

If I remember well, T3HQ have it only in dark grey but the quality is really good.

Fabrik Mike will do custom made carpets and I think he has already a few samples..

I would go first with Mike to see, what he can do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich65square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

Hello All

Had an update from Heritage/TMI

They have confirmed they can supply a carpet set for early type 3's via TMI

If you google: RHD Carpet Kit 7pc. Standard Transmission, W/Heater Grommets, 1961-67 RHD Squareback, Fastback, Notchback

It will come back with a TMI link to this set, usefully though there is no image on their site of this set.

I have gone ahead and ordered so will post back with my findings on quality and fit etc

Comes with a STANDARD yarn binding – can upgrade to cloth or vinyl at extra cost
Product code is 34-F3034
Nikon-User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

Current status from my car at local upholstery...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich65square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet set for Pre 68 Type 3's Reply with quote

Thanks for the Pics Nikon, keep them coming, looking good too.

Will post some pics of my carpet set too once it arrives Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: