Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakelee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

I bought a vanagon and it's missing the VIN label on the dash. The registration matches the VIN on the door jamb and stamped on the frame, so everything is legit; just missing the label on the dash.

Does anyone know where to get a replacement made? Thanks!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

I don't have that answer, but I would verify the title and registration match the vin numbers you have. I have a syncro that is missing the dash vin tag. It was also issued a new Colorado vin that appears on my title and registration. The explanation I got when I bought the van was that someone stole the vin plate. After taking possession, my guess is the van was totaled at some point and the VIN was pulled and a new one was issued from Colorado. There is a new VIN decal from Colorado in the door jam above the original.
dub01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

You can order it from your local VW dealership still, but they sell for $110 and take up to six months to get. I also suspect it won't be the stamped metal tag, but a newer appearing label.
jakelee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

Thanks all!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

CHeck your state regs first, and ignore out of state advice.

In my state , possession of a detached VIN plate is a crime
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

well what the heck am I supposed to do with all these vanagon dashes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Hmm... Detach THEM!! Quick!!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Dylan, I thought you were banned. Wink
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

I simply went to a local trophy shop, picked out a black piece of metal. Provided the dimensions I wanted. Clearly wrote down the information I wanted engraved (the VIN). In a couple of minutes I had a VIN plate. Had the shop drill two mounting holes. Went home, drilled my holes in the dash (which was already out for another project) and pop riveted my new VIN plate.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

Interesting question. I am under the impression that the visible VIN is no longer required, some exceptions of course. For those that buy a new VIN you should be aware that the pop rivets are NOT the hardware variety. Close inspection can tell if they have been changed, although I would doubt that anyone really cares. You can buy OEM rivets, they vary by manufacture, they are not expensive at about a buck apiece. Just FYI.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

In NY they care if yourvVZiN is missing or altered

Vehicle is seized and auctioned by local muni.

https://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/information-about-vins
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

Interesting.. I read the link you posted. Not having the dashboard VIN plate ia not mentioned or I missed it. All of a vehicle's VIN information would need to be altered etc for that particular law to apply. Correct me if I am wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
In NY they care if your VIN is missing or altered

Shocked

Quite shocking! Imagine you have imported a GDM van from Bussman!
EU Market vans don't have a VIN in the windscreen!

Imagine then, that the Revenue Department can then steal your very valuable van, and turn around and sell it to some college kid for $500 (after all, it's 'just' an old Volkswagen!)!

Shocked

Oh, the HUMANITY!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!

Last edited by Team WorldTour on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
Interesting.. I read the link you posted. Not having the dashboard VIN plate ia not mentioned or I missed it. All of a vehicle's VIN information would need to be altered etc for that particular law to apply. Correct me if I am wrong.

Totally at the discretion of the officer who pulled you over. If your VIN is missing on the dash, and the local muni is on the prowl, ymmv.

You can google for some stories about car confiscation to decide if this is a real issue for you.

Just check your home state regs and make sure you understand how it works for use and/or resale
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Imagine then, that the Revenue Department can then steal your very valuable van, and turn around and sell it to some college kid for $500 (after all, it's 'just' an old Volkswagen!)!

Shocked

Oh, the HUMANITY!

Not quite. If it is proven that you are the legal owner of the vehicle, you may be issued a new VIN and be on your merry way (after paying for a potential legal wrangle first). http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/lawssrch.cgi?NVLWO:

That seizure law has more to do with theft/car thieves who remove/alter VINs for nefarious reasons.

That said, the law is about original VINs. If a Euro T3 never had a dash VIN, but has the chassis and door jamb VINs, and you prove you are the legal owner of your import, no worries.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

For OP, I just wanted to make clear that, in my state, a " reproduction vin plate" is likely possession of a forged instrument, 2nd degree

Coincidentally a local women was arrested on same charge for a forged inspection sticker this morning.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

How would they know it is supposed to be there, not wanting to be argumentative, if you get pulled over, show them the sticker on the door pillar, and the one stamped into the out rigger.
2 points where the VPN matches, and have a nice day officer.
When I took burning to get her infected at the DMV the nice lady who came out to look burning over, was not as polite as she maybe could have been, so I showed her the sticker on the Beach pillar, then I told her that the VPN was also stamped into the out rigger, she wanted to see 2 matching VIN plates, so she got on the floor and had a look, { in my defence, I did take a photo with my phone for her} but she wanted to see it for herself Smile
she was unaware of the vintage plate on the dash, it was there, I had something on the dash that had slid across and covered it.

Abscate wrote:
In NY they care if yourvVZiN is missing or altered

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

I believe it was 1968 when dash VINS were made mandatory at Federal level, so if you have a 1968 or later, LEO will expect it, if they are enforcing it.

I know there are huge variations in State and local regs and enforcement of this issue - I know that we have counties here that look out for this stuff.

Just be aware that internet advice like .."Ive been driving for 20 years on Prince Edward Island with no VIN plate" might not apply to you.

What really sucks is if you end up with something that is imported incorrectly - CBP crunches it up, by mandate. Whole new ballgame.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Coincidentally a local women was arrested on same charge for a forged inspection sticker this morning.

Since I'm seeing ^that way, way, way too often these days all over the Internet, I have to finally say something: A woman! Brick wall

Thank you, and carry on...
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone make a VIN label replacement that is on the dash? Reply with quote

I agree it is a very specific thing you should contact your state on to know for sure what you can and can't do. And adding a plate that represents itself by location, appearance or contents as an official original VIN plate may surprisingly be illegal. Even if you meant it to help or as a good hearted attempt to conform.

I say this as someone who for nearly a decade carried papers in my wallet allowing me to drive nonconforming vehicles without VINs, or vehicles not available in this country, or vehicles that do not conform to our NHTSA, DOT or other vehicle regulations. I was often challenged by law enforcement and they do not mess around. It was such a big deal that I carried the home telephone numbers of the GM legal staff also, and had to use it once. Yep, he answered, and yep he got me out of the US border impound area. Pronto.

You may not be allowed to explain why you did something like this as it is considered a "defacto" crime meaning there simply IS NO ACCEPTABLE explanation for installing a label or tag purporting to represent your vehicle's VIN. Even if its accurate. So be careful here.

When I was about 20, I purchased a gorgeous rare Alfa Romeo for peanuts. It was collector grade and was quite a story how it all happened. It turned out to have been stolen more than 20 years prior from the port before it ever reached a dealer. Because of this, that beautiful car (2600 miles). By law (no logic here, no appeal process, nothing) it had to be crushed into a cube. It was a tragedy by anyone's definition except for the numbnuts bureacrats who probably got some twisted satisfaction one nice day when they got to watch a beautiful thing get crushed in a machine rather than spend the day in their sad cubicle playing solitaire on their computer. This state had strict laws because they had an image problem due to car thefts and the laws were never intended to destroy a car like this, but it happened. I still have the Alfa badge I pried off it 40 years later sitting in my memorabilia drawer.

So do not risk running afoul of these laws, or the faceless bureacrats who stand ready to take a field trip to ruin your day if you give them the chance to do something interesting vs sitting in their cubicle.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader

Last edited by IdahoDoug on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: