Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Go Westy ABS Door Panels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

I gave Sally some new GW ABS Door Panels for Valentines Day. Happy with the outcome. http://www.gowesty.com/product/trim-panels-clips/24027/gowesty-abs-front-door-panel-set?v=

Next is to move and hookup the new window switches on the dash with their Window Switch Relocation kit. http://www.gowesty.com/product/cup-holders/4456/power-window-switch-relocation-kit-?v=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

You forgot the beer holder on the driver side. JUST kidding! Nice job, it looks great.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
You forgot the beer holder on the driver side. JUST kidding! Nice job, it looks great.

I thought something looked missing. Twisted Evil
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

I understand ABS panels are more convenient than the original, but they really look dull and sad.
Is there a way to make them look better, and not give me the impression I'm in my fridge?
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

VicVan -- ABS panels don't have to be dull. Any competent upholstery shop can put any design on them with a foam backing to give it a custom look. In my case, I wanted a diamond pattern from 50/60's sports cars. The shop nailed it.

Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

Actually, I tried to do that but realized that the only realistic spot for it on the door was above the map pocket. But the steering wheel prevented proper access and it makes accessing the map pocket difficult. Currently it's down on the dash near the stick shift.

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

I like the clean look. But, you can cover them with what ever you want really.
They are completely customizable.

VicVan wrote:
I understand ABS panels are more convenient than the original, but they really look dull and sad.
Is there a way to make them look better, and not give me the impression I'm in my fridge?

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

Thanks Rainier. What did the upholstery cost you more or less (MP if you prefer)?
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

nice job. But your original panels looked to be in great shape - not sure if it's just the pictures...

I hope you did not throw them away...
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

They were in great shape, a bit of warping, but dealing with the window switches was a pain in the ass. I will put them in my storage for sale at a later date.

SyncroChrick wrote:
nice job. But your original panels looked to be in great shape - not sure if it's just the pictures...

I hope you did not throw them away...

RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

VicVan - The panels cost me a little over $500 to have done. Not exactly cheap, but the shop has been around for decades and they knew exactly the look I wanted.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:

With said setup, If one of the mounting to vehicle tabs were broken, how would one replace that? You'd had to remove the layer of fabrication right?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

Same as if something broke here, I imagine:

WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

True. I thought it was a different style. Like on Toyota's I have broke many of those things pulling panels. But the new replacements slide right in
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

On a related note, if you're buying ABS panels, the standard fasteners are worthless garbage, while the Deluxe ones work very well.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/trim-panels-clips/24338/replacement-clip-for-gowesty-abs-panels?v=

More specifically, the standard ones get bent out of shape if the holes aren't perfectly lined up, and even if they are lined up right, they can be loose and cause rattles. The deluxe ones are rubber and expand as they're tightened, creating a strong, rattle-free connection.

Well worth the extra cost.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

Yes, a broken fastener was one of the reasons I got fed up with the old panels. Once it tears out of the wood panel, there's no way to replace it.

Team WorldTour wrote:

SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:

The fasteners on the originals can be removed from the rear without affecting the covering on the front.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

Some thoughts from 4 am:
1/ Can I buy a ABS panel and just put the original trim on it? It will be a pain to remove from the original wood panel for sure. It's cheaper, and you keep the stock look (which I find nice).
2/ Since I'm covering the panel, I can buy whatever ABS sheet and cut it myself I guess. What's the gauge/thickness?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Some thoughts from 4 am:
1/ Can I buy a ABS panel and just put the original trim on it? It will be a pain to remove from the original wood panel for sure. It's cheaper, and you keep the stock look (which I find nice).
2/ Since I'm covering the panel, I can buy whatever ABS sheet and cut it myself I guess. What's the gauge/thickness?

Check out this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644954&highlight=gowesty++abs

EDIT: Although now that I read through that thread, I disagree with their observations about fasteners. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy ABS Door Panels Reply with quote

I did this to my ABS panels, cost me about $60 in cloth, jute, and 3m77, and it wasn't very hard. I like having some sound insulation, since you shouldn't put it inside the front door panels.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: