Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 amp alternator pulley with fan
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

I am in need of the subject.

I found that VW made a version for the bug. will that one fit?

WHat is the diameter of the shaft on a Bug Alt?

I believe the 70 amp alt has a 17mm diameter.

What do folks do when they need one of these?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

Not sure what your question is, but find a local mom and pops auto electric shop and see if they can help you out.
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

They have a WTB up looking for one of these...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2146887

I believe they want to know if it will fit a type 4 alternator shaft? Let alone the tins? I don’t know...

Not sure about them being hens teeth though... I bought mine from Moore Parts, just like the picture shows.

As I remember, the pulley I bought from Moore Parts didn’t come in an EMPI package.

It’s very heavy and decent quality. Which doesn’t scream EMPI at all.

Not sure if they really work for cooling but they are great quality.

I first had thoughts the pulley weight and fan velocity would eat the bearing in my cheap china type 1 style alternator, but I’m two years of daily driving without any problems.

I will soon be swapping engines from my Beetle to my 70 Bus. Maybe the fan will stimulate some engine compartment airflow...

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

I don't WTB this part...UNLESS I get someone that knows it will fit on the shaft of my type 4 alternator, 70amp.

If someone can find the fan that goes on the 70amp alternator I will buy it at the same price as the photo. But they are NLA. NLA. Junk yards maybe, but very few buses came with this part.

Since they are no longer available... HENS TEETH. I would like to know what the Bus People do.

If you have taken the 50amp alternator off of your TIV engined bus and put on a 70amp (factory option in 1979). What did you do about the pulley?

Last edited by malcolm2 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

One of my 1979 buses has a 70 amp and one has a 55 amp alternator. What do you want me to measure?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

Don’t worry about it. My 72 bus with a 76 2.0L engine has a 70 amp alternator. It does not have the fan style pulley. Has run fine for 20,000 miles and counting. The 76 bus has the fan style pulley on the alternator. I can’t tell the difference. If someone tells me I need the fan style pulley for the 72 for a solid reason I’m willing to change it out. But until then. I roll as is. Been doing so for 6 years. And yes I understand stand what the fan is supposed to do.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
One of my 1979 buses has a 70 amp and one has a 55 amp alternator. What do you want me to measure?

can you get to the alternator shaft? I am not sure how you would measure with it on the car. At least yours is facing so you can see it. My 914 would be impossible. Since my 50amp unit crapped out it is out of the car. I measured my 50 amp shaft to be 17mm.

2ndly does your 70amp use the alt pulley with the fan welded to the pulley?

Thanks.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Don’t worry about it. My 72 bus with a 76 2.0L engine has a 70 amp alternator. It does not have the fan style pulley. Has run fine for 20,000 miles and counting. I roll as is. Been doing so for 6 years. And yes I understand stand what the fan is supposed to do.

Been doing some searching on here and "going without" seems to be the thing to do. I suppose your 70amp ALT has the built in tube in the back to get fan air, right?

Maybe VW had 1 engineer working on the back of the ALT and one working on the front, and they did not work together. Rolling Eyes
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

This might help a little:

If you can take your 55 amp pulley to an alternator shop, perhaps they have an offset fan that can be welded onto it. The key is to find a fan with an offset, since most are for a flat pulley. Here is a comparison of my 55 amp pulley to the 70 amp pulley.

As with everything, yes it will run without a fan, and probably be ok, since the insulation used on alternator magnet wiring today is way more heat tollerant than 40+ years ago. If you're running a 70 amp alternator with 40+ year old magnet wiring, then you probably should consider a fan. the 15 amp increase still represents a 27% increase in power output, but that's also an even larger increase in internal heat generated, which is why VW used a larger air boot, and the fan. In my case, my 70 Amp alternator was rewound to produce 110 Amps, so it definitely needs a fan.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

AFAIK 50 and 70 amp shafts are the same and the pulleys interchange, I doubt that beetle pulley will work without issues so the fanless pulley may be your only option.
As WT's says a run down auto electric shop with blackened gouged up work benches, greasy handprints all over the walls and magazines from the 70's and 80's in the cluttered front room is your best bet, it has to smell like grease, coffee and cigarettes though, and the floors must be filthy except for a small path where everyone walks. Early watercooled cars used a similar pulley and they may have something amongst the mountians of crap under the bench. Other make alternators use a loose fan that sandwiches between the pulley and spacer sleeve, some mixing and matching could result in a reasonable facimile.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

Honest question: does the 70-amp alternator need the fan if it’s replacing a stock 55-amp setup with no fridge, second battery, or gas heater?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Honest question: does the 70-amp alternator need the fan if it’s replacing a stock 55-amp setup with no fridge, second battery, or gas heater?

Robbie

I have pondered that myself, is it a CYA contract requirement by Bosch to avoid a costly recall incase more than a few customers regularly run thier aux battery down to nothing and then drive off on a dark cold rainy night with every single electrical accessory cranked up to Max?
Most alternators rely on the fan alone, the VW installation is unique and has the forced air from the front since drawing air from near road level across a hot exhaust system isn't very good for cooling, the 70A already has a bigger duct, is the fan just added insurance?, or merely a placebo to make it look like it's serious about what it does? Or are they considering the cooling air flow path through the alternator is backwards from other systems on the bus and upper engine compartment pressures at highway speeds (side scoops on body) could stall the flow and result in smoke?, hmmmmm.....

When it all boils down I still like to trust that office tower full of OCD German engineers, I have yet to find anything they put on these vehicles a waste of time and materials, everything serves some sort of important purpose even if it's use isn't readily apparent. Eventually you discover that Ah HA! reason and it always makes sense.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Is it an optical illusion? some of the blades a different length or width? Man that looks funny.

I also found a chevy fan that slides onto the shaft. It has a notch for the key, but I don't think the key goes that deep.

Anyway, Once the ALT arrives I will try different things.

The ALT shop is a good idea. I have 2 that I will try. The one in downtown Nashville is the one that rebuilt my 50amp one. 2 times in 2 years!!! Evil or Very Mad but maybe they can help with the fan. Not near the description you laid out.

Next time add, "a room full of shelves made with 2 x 4s, full of starters and alternators from the 50s." and you got it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
Thanks for the input. Is it an optical illusion? some of the blades a different length or width? Man that looks funny.

I think you are seeing an optical illusion, but alternators are made with fans with blades of varying width. Doing so makes the fan a bit quieter.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

This is semi-OT but check out the 50amp rotor.

The brushes made the black marks. You can tell that they were not lined up properly. After 14 months of running the part of the brush that was over the gap was not wearing and I assume the brush was running in that crack and touching the shaft or the other copper piece.

Anyone know how the brushes could be adjusted? I don't believe these copper (commutators ??) move. every exploded parts layout I see has the rotor as 1 piece. And I have heard that part of rebuilding is the machine down the copper. You can see that the edge has an unmachined rib.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

Going to plead general ignorance here, but I am going to guess that some washer either got left out or was installed into the wrong position.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

Or possibly the replacement Chinesium bearing was too fat and pushed the whole assembly off kilter.

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

Yes the VW engineers had a reason to add the fan. And yes, the shade tree engineers will always find a way to un-engineer, myself included. I hate it when my mechanics at work say, "that will work" Shocked

There are lots of stories about people removing the warm up dampers or the t-stat in a type 4 cooling fan.

Yes the car works, almost the same as if the dampers or t-stat were there. But in this case we have been told that the t-stat and dampers help the engine warm up faster by re-directing the cooling air until the t-stat opens. What that does is make the engine last longer. With thick, cold oil the oil does not flow.

So really when the bearings do fail in 100,000 miles no one really knows that they might have lasted for 150 or 200,000 miles.

I know I over stated the removal of a designed in feature, but we really don't know the exact reason why the engineers added the fan. We can assume. And in this case it might be to extend the life of the 70amp ALT. Question

Thanks for the side-by-side picture. From that, I can probably make a pulley with a fan on it. When I do, I will add it to this thread.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

the slip rings are replaceable at an electric shop level, and maybe those were pressed on too far - perhaps when the rotor was made. Could be the rear bearing wasn't pressed on properly. The front bearing also controls depth so the wrong pulley might change the depth of the rotor. I don't know for sure without taking one apart.If the alternator was putting out current and not shorting out just remember it is a 40 - 50 year old mass produced car.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator pulley with fan Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the slip rings are replaceable at an electric shop level, and those were probably pressed on too far - perhaps when the rotor was made. Could be the rear bearing wasn't pressed on properly too. If the alternator was putting out current and not shorting out just remember it is a 40 - 50 year old mass produced car. The front bearing also controls depth so the wrong pulley might change the depth of the rotor. I don't know for sure without taking one apart.

Just for fun, I am going to add a couple washers to the plate that the brushes are on. THat should move the contact location to the center. Then I will take the alt to the shop and get them to test it. Just for fun.

I do not see how a rebuilder can check or measure where the brushes hit. all that is deep inside and you can't see it or get anything in there to measure. Probably how this one got all screwed up... no quality control.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: