Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just wondering how this will be fixed
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Just wondering how this will be fixed Reply with quote

I have been in the process of returning to the road a 1978 Super. The car itself is so solid and I have it legal now in CA. I have the mechanical done and it passed smog, so I have been enjoying driving it.

At this point, I am at a stopping point. I need a new top, which I am confident I can install. But I can't do the top until I address the convertible top rail that is rusted out. And that means this panel will need addressed also.

The top was there, but the back window was gone, so I ended up removing the top frame and I am just driving it like that. The only rust on the whole car is this area around the convertible top channel. I can't weld and bodywork is not one of my skills, so I will need this done elsewhere.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I already purchased the replacement metal channel from Chuck. I am just curious as to how they will break these panels apart to repair them. As I see it, the outer panel will need cut out and replaced. It meets with the inner panel from the rear shelf. Then the inner channel is attached. The inside channel from Chuck's will have hooks welded to hold the headliner in place. The outer lip of the channel will hold the top retaining wire in place when installed.

Even though I can't do this repair, I still would like to understand how they will do it. I just don't have the body work experience to understand how it will be done.
Thanks in advance
Kevin

Click to view image
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Just wondering how this will be fixed Reply with quote

The amount you cut out will either be the same size as the replacement panel;minus overlap, (flange) or smaller. Very Happy I don't recommed overlap because you basically can't hammer and dolly it.It's too thick.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just wondering how this will be fixed Reply with quote

I guess my point is we have 3 layers here. The outer panel, the inner shelf and then the ring that hold the headliner and top wire in place. How will they separate the layers to fix the out rust as well as the J channel that holds the top in place.
Thanks
Kevin

Click to view image
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just wondering how this will be fixed Reply with quote

It would be helpful if an image of the replacement panel was posted ,front and back.

The panels at the lip are going to be spot welded together. I don't have vert experience but the sedans have a brace in between the inside and outside. I think the brace is glued to the outside piece. I cut all of the observable attachments off of a panel and then make like an archeologist and pull/pry on the panel to find it's hidden attachment points. I would remove the spot welds on the lip, make a cut on the circumferance of the piece to remove. lastly if the piece is still attached, peel small parts of it away to find whats still holding it on.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Just wondering how this will be fixed Reply with quote

Take the car & replacement panels you have to a good Hot Rod Shop. They will explain how they will repair it & quote you some estimates to get it fixed.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just wondering how this will be fixed Reply with quote

Kind of hard to tell from the photo, but doesn't look to bad.

I think you would want to cut out all the rusted area, then weld an "upside down V shaped piece" of sheet metal to the body right below the top finished edge. It would need to have gaps cut into it to weld the back piece to the existing body metal.
Then you could take a "flat" matching patch and weld that to the "V" piece at the top and but the three other edges to the patch you cut out.
Did that help?
Holes punched in the V piece and flat patch would allow the weld to join the two pieces together as you welded in the holes when the metal was overlaped, butted together.
Good luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: