Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wonky charging
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Wonky charging Reply with quote

My 74 thing kept getting a low battery and I eventually took it to Adam at Kirkwood VW.
The generator and brake-indicator lights on the dash went out and then glowed when revving.
Adam checked and the generator was fine, but then he checked the Voltage regulator, and it was marginal. A new regulator and everything is fine./ No glowing lights on the dash and I feel that I can safely drive at night.
I have never seen a regulator die before, but this was the fix. The new regulator was unpainted shiny tin, labelled Bosch, made in Mexico, and apparently that is what they are selling now.

He did snip the wire that went to the diagnostic connector in the top of the engine compartment, on the old regulator.
Anybody ever used the diagnostic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonky charging Reply with quote

I doubt that the diagnostic system made for our Things has been used anywhere since well before the turn of the century.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those of us who remember the "advanced" diagnostic system of the '70's live in total amazement when we plug in our VCDS cable on a current VW.

The only drawback to removing the diagnostic receptacle (where keeping the car perfectly stock is not a consideration) is the necessity to disconnect the diagnostic wiring at its source; especially terminals 30, 15, 50. Nobody wants hot wires flopping around in the breeze.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonky charging Reply with quote

Does a "key" exist for the diagnostic plug? Never seen one that I can remember, but I am pretty oblivious about such things. Would think such would be out there somewhere. Should make troubleshooting that much easier, not that it isn't easy to start with.

In forty plus years of driving VW's, don't think I have ever so much as put a VOM or test light on the plug. Crying or Very sad
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonky charging Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: