Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure/ alternator light keeps coming on???
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuekwik4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Oil pressure/ alternator light keeps coming on??? Reply with quote

I'm new to owning a VW, so maybe I could get a little help on this issue. I was driving my thing the other day going about 65 and my oil light came on. Car was running fine nothing out of the ordinary. When I got back into town at, lower speeds, the light shut off. Also when I drive at night, my ALT light is dimly lit, maybe cause I'm running the lights??? Thanks for any input.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure/ alternator light keeps coming on??? Reply with quote

If either light comes on, pull over immediately and check! When the oil light comes on that means ZERO oil pressure. When the gen light comes on it may mean you have lost your fan belt.

Since you made it, check your oil level, check your wiring and make sure the ground wire to the speedo is connected well.

Do you have a generator or alternator? Old generators use an external regulator, alternators have an internal regulator. Increased load (lights) may cause a glow from the idiot light with the old system and may be wearing out. Check wiring for good connections.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure/ alternator light keeps coming on??? Reply with quote

I had the same problem and it turned out it was the voltage regulator for my generator. A new regulator fixed everything
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: