Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More Buggies
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: More Buggies Reply with quote

I was in conversation about my Buggy with an older fellow today and he said he has 2 fiberglass Buggies at home. He hasn't run either one in 12 years and would like to sell them as he has lost interest in them. Both he tells me have Bus transaxles with reductions that he searched for a long time to find. These Buggies were used only off road and he wanted the lower gearing.

One Buggy he tells me has a 1600 single port and was running blue on one side. The other is dual port with a single Weber, counter weighted stock stroke and the case bored for larger jugs. He had trouble with it overheating.

Price wise he is talking around $2000 each so will have to wait and see what they are like... Very Happy

And no, as the wife says, I don't need more projects... Laughing
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

Interesting, post some pics when you see them
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

Yes I will. I tried phoning him yesterday but got no answer. I stopped by his shop in town and his house in the country today but no one home so maybe he is away for the weekend.

I have 8 fellows on an Alberta VW facebook page waiting for photos too. We should be able to move those Buggies to new owners. Very Happy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

It was a bit tough to get good shots as it was very crowded in there!

I will split these pictures into two posts to avoid confusion hopefully!

This one he acquired when the original owner brought it to his shop to have lights installed to make it street legal then could not afford the bill.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has a stock 1600(or maybe 1500)SP engine that ran fine when parked. (There is a lot of endplay in the crankshaft I noticed.)
Linkpin front end, extended shocks with holes cut in the body to make clearance for them. 5 wide stock wheels. Bus transaxle with reduction gears.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

Second Buggy now.

This one he bought just because he had so much fun with the first one.

This one is 90.5 bore with CW 69 crank a cam change and a Webber progressive. Again, link pin front end, Bus transaxle with reductions and 5 spoke white Jacksons on wide 5.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

personally io think $2000 is a little steep, especially looking at the first one with the hood and fender cut out like that.
just mt opinion

i see he has a few VW related thnkg there. do es he have any deep dish wide 5 smothies?

what part of alberta your from oprn?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

East Central. Ya he regrets the holes now on that one. The old "seemed like a good idea at the time" syndrome!

Not being Manx bodies you could be right. I see finished Buggies advertised anywhere from $6000 to $15000 in Alberta but that doesn't mean they sold! I really have no idea what they are worth, likely whatever someone is willing to pay.

Everyone would want them for $500 but I think the true value is somewhere in between. This is where he wants to start the price at so we will see how bad he wants them gone.

No wide VW rims, I checked! Very Happy
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

I would go $3000 (but I would start at $2500) for the pair and hope with a bit of clean up and insuring that they run and paperwork is good you can probably flip them for a little extra money for adult beverage of your choice...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

If I bought them to make money I would part them out. The parts I think would be worth more than the complete cars.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

I would just clean them up good and sell them complete. I don't see a whole lot of parts on there that are worth the time to strip them apart.
These are definitely a case of the sum of the parts is worth more as a whole

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

I was assuming there to be a demand for the old reduction box trannies by the early Bus crowd. I will soon find out as I posted in the Split Bus section.

Four 70s era Jackman wide 5 white spoke wheels,

Two link pin front ends that are stronger than ball joint ones for the off road guys,

A rebuild able complete 1600 SP core engine,

A 69 CW x 90.5 engine with a cam, lightened fly wheel that appears to just need a fresh set of rings.

Four fiberglass bucket seats with ok upholstery,

Two reasonably solid shortened floor pans,

Two glass Buggy bodies to make flower planters out of!
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

If someone installed lights like that on my buggy I'd be annoyed. If I then found out Shocked I couldn't even afford to pay for the work....
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

Glascon used to make buggy bodies way back when, in Lethbridge. They could be from them.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: More Buggies Reply with quote

As per usual there were some very negative responses to my post on the split window thread - and a few saying "yes they are in demand"! A couple of the positive guys are local too! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: