Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

30 Gallon Compressor?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: 30 Gallon Compressor? Reply with quote

I’m a total noob but I’m thinking of buying a 30 Gallon Husky compressor from Lowe’s and using that with an HVLP gun to paint my floor pans with the body off. I’m going to use a water/oil separator, etc but I’m still nervous this won’t work for some reason.

Am I right in assuming that since it’s a small area I shouldn’t have trouble with low pressure and heat build-up/moisture? I can’t really afford a 60 gallon tank plus an electrian to install.

If this is a dopey idea I’ll just pay a professional, don’t want I ruin a freshly blasted pan Shocked
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Gallon Compressor? Reply with quote

You don't need a big compressor to paint because it's done at a low pressure/volume.Look at the paint gun manual for the setting.Use a 'Filter' in the airline just before the gun. A big tank just stores some energy. The Price Point compressors these days are a 60 gallon 3.7hp. A 5 hp is really the way to go but hard to find in hot dog style that is maneuverable.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Gallon Compressor? Reply with quote

30 gallons is plenty for painting everything. www.masterseriesct.com black & silver is good stuff that can be brushed or sprayed on pans & chassis.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Gallon Compressor? Reply with quote

EDIT: ^^^ +1 on the MasterSeries products. You can also use their AG-111 paint as a top coat for the primer if you want a color other than black.

Eastwood sells a five CFM paint gun, Eastwood Concours 2 - Single HVLP (High Volume, Low Pressure ) Paint Gun Kit in Aluminum Case (Item #16287,) that is intended to be used with smaller compressors. Make sure that the compressor you get can produce at least 20% more CFM than your paint gun will need. The smaller the compressor, the more it will cycle. The frequent cycling is what will build up the heat and moisture. A cheap way to combat this problem is to run a 20+ Ft. coil of 3/8" copper tubing through a large bucket full of ice water followed by a water and oil separator. As theKbStockpiler suggested, run a filter and a disposable desiccant trap just before the gun. This setup should get you where you need to be for small paint jobs.

You can also use a traditional HPLV (High Pressure, Low Volume) paint gun which most small compressors can keep up with. The down side to this technology is an increase in paint consumption and more overspray.

NOTE: When looking at compressor specs, look at the CFM rating at 40 PSI. This is the important number for HVLP paint guns which typically require between 20 and 35 PSI. Oil lubricated compressors are a better choice but are typically more expensive than oil-less compressors. I was in you shoes this time last year and it took me four months of research to properly educate myself on the subject.

Look at the thread titled Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor for more information about compressor choices.

...we're all in this together,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Gallon Compressor? Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone, for these incredible responses. I've been scouring the internet but couldn't find the straight dope. I love the support you can find on this site!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Gallon Compressor? Reply with quote

For sound advice and healthy discussions on compressor related matters take a look at https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/, and http://www.practicalmachinist.com/. These were the sites I found most informative during my research process.

Cheers,
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Gallon Compressor? Reply with quote

These are great resources, thank you!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Gallon Compressor? Reply with quote

It's me again Rolling Eyes Glad I could save you some of the troubles I went through.

I ran across this information over on GermanLook.net in the WRX/Porsche Karmann cabrio 1303 build thread.
Quote:
For information, I used a cheapo spray gun for the etch and primer coats, then an Iwata AZ3 HTE2 spray gun with a 1.3mm tip for the colour and clear coats. This was all running from my 3hp 150l compressor that I made up a short copper section with water drain. It has actually given a really nice finish out of the gun with not a single run! A couple of small bits of dirt got in one wing but should easily polish out when it has fully cured. I had to paint the wings in two lots under my workshop porch bit as it was threatening to rain...

This Iwata gun is pricey and a bit spendy on air volume:
Technical Specifications
Nozzle: 1.3mm or 1.4mm
Air Cap: HTE-S HVLP 1
Inlet Pressure: 28 PSI
Air Consumption: 10.83 CFM

My 60 gal. 3HP compressor would barely keep up but it goes to show it can be done.

Cheers,
Emil

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: