Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remanufactured engine - need value help please
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsa914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm a 914 guy and trying to gather info on value of a remanufactured what I believe is a Vanagon motor. I purchase a project 914 over a year ago and sitting inside the engine bay was the engine. The owner had passed away and the family couldn't really tell me anything about the 914 or why this engine was installed (but not completely).

I pulled the engine and it has been sitting on my engine shelf ever since. I do turn it over once or twice a month. There is a Michigan Buggy Builders show next month and a buddy is getting a space and asked f I have anything I would like to take. I don't have a need for this engine anytime soon so I think it is best to move it along.

So I am asking for some help here on fair value of the long block. The serial number is CV005433 3 and has remanufactured sticker on it from VW Canada. I'm not looking to retire off the sale of it, just looking for a honest value for it.

So what do you think? I will clean the dust off of course before I take it to the show. Hopefully the pictures will load.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

INR SCCA #70 DSP
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

Air Cooled?
There is a market but you don't know who did the work or exactly what they did.

Failing having that knowledge the value will be relatively small.

You can enhance value with compression numbers and oil pressure readings.

If it rotates my gut feeling is maybe $500. There is value in a good rebuildable core.
Are the heads cracked? New rings? New pistons? New Cylinders? Was the case split? If so what was renewed inside? Was it an shade tree garage rebuild or a Boston Bob rebuild?

If you knew more and had some basic engine health numbers, more $$'s, maybe a lot more $$'s if you knew a lot more.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itsa914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I wish I had more build info on it, but I don't. I was thinking $500 - $750 value and to be honest I would be happy with that. It does me no good sitting on my engine shelf and it needs to go to someone that can use it.
INR SCCA #70 DSP
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

Remember, that engine has value not only to Early Vanagon owners but the late Bay Windows used that same power plant.

It may have a greater market with the Bay owners. Vanagons are very easily upgraded to water cooled power plants........ Bays are not.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itsa914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

Thanks for the education.
INR SCCA #70 DSP
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

IIRC, Wasserboxers remanufactured by VW Canada have a hit or miss reputation. Not sure about aircooled motors, though.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

There are enough differences between the vanagon air-cooled engine and the late bay engine that it's irritating to mix and match. Engine tin is different. Alt is different. Exhaust ports in the head are different and consequently the heater boxes and the rest of the exhaust as well. Etc, etc etc... Point is, it's not a desirable engine for the late bay vanagons compared to the one that actually fits.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
There are enough differences between the vanagon air-cooled engine and the late bay engine that it's irritating to mix and match. Engine tin is different. Alt is different. Exhaust ports in the head are different and consequently the heater boxes and the rest of the exhaust as well. Etc, etc etc... Point is, it's not a desirable engine for the late bay vanagons compared to the one that actually fits.

He's only talking long block.
Thanks for the info on the head ports, I wasn't aware of that game changing difference.

BusDepot indicates differently on the heads..... there ia an overlap but only 1979.

79-83
http://www.busdepot.com/071101061dx

76-78
http://www.busdepot.com/039101351k
Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

The only problem with the heads, assuming they are good if that they require one to find a pair of '79 Federal heat exchangers. This could be as simple as a call to Busted Bus or it could take months of searching. In a way this is a good thing though, as '79 will take the early '72-74 mufflers instead of the pile of spaghetti used on 75-78 buses.

FWIW, if I can not run an engine and get it hot and put it under load I am just not very apt to want to pay very much for it. I have one supposedly zero mile engine I need to tear into sometime that I bought from a respected Samba member. I was able to start and run it but not put it under load before buying it, but once installed it I drove one trip around the block and pulled it right back out as it was beating itself to death when under load.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

I got $900 for my AC motor here in Tucson. Good riddens!

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Remanufactured engine - need value help please Reply with quote

That does not look like Vanagon tin work. It also does not look like 2.0 Porsche tin work either. Probably tin work from a 1700 or 1800 914.

The main difference in the VW type 4 heads was the exhaust port shape. Early heads had oval ports and used a copper crush gasket to seal the exhaust. The later heads had "square" ports and used a conventional type of exhaust port gasket.

My guess is the previous owner was going about getting the car back on the road with that engine. I assume you have other plans for the chassis. An examination of the intake and exhaust ports should give you an idea of the mileage. As mentioned a compression test, but probably easier to do a cylinder leak down on the bench to get some comparison numbers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: