Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super FTE master cylinder follow-up
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: 73 Super FTE master cylinder follow-up Reply with quote

I installed a FTE German master cylinder today, I did not bench bleed. I have spongy pedal on the top 3/4 of pedal. At the end of pedal it will lock the fronts down, skids. I hear the back drums click when I push pedal, fluid comes out when bleeding. Replaced old ATE cylinder as it was leaking badly out the pushrod. The brakes worked better than now, but leaked.

Now, I realize I need to do some brake adjusting, but why the difference in pedal travel? I have solid fluid stream from all 4 wheels. A quart of Bosch brake fluid has been run through the system today and while it stops, I have to go WAY down on the pedal, it stops straight too.

Brake lights turn on when pedal is way down and stopping, but half the pedal travel is mush and no lights.

I did not adjust the pushrod, it is a little slacky, but even this shouldn't cause what I am describing. Totally stock system. Thoughts????

Last edited by mascrappo on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

Loosen the push rod locknut and turn the pushrod in until it just touches the master cylinder piston. Now, turn counterclockwise one-half turn. At this point, using a ruler, check for the free play at the top of the pedal when pushing by hand. It should be 1/4inch, which provides the required 1mm freeplay between the end of the pushrod and the back of the mc piston.

If, after performing this adjustment, you don’t 1/4inch free play at the pedal, turn the rod a little one way or the other to achieve this distance. Tighten the locknut on the pushrod when done.

Bleed again if necessary.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Loosen the push rod locknut and turn the pushrod in until it just touches the master cylinder piston. Now, turn counterclockwise one-half turn. At this point, using a ruler, check for the free play at the top of the pedal when pushing by hand. It should be 1/4inch, which provides the required 1mm freeplay between the end of the pushrod and the back of the mc piston.

If, after performing this adjustment, you don’t 1/4inch free play at the pedal, turn the rod a little one way or the other to achieve this distance. Tighten the locknut on the pushrod when done.

Bleed again if necessary.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I gave up for the evening. I will adjust rod tomorrow. Just frustrated that I bought all the best and brakes worse than when I started...UGH
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

It because the rod was improperly set, like Tim stated.

When the rod does not enter the Master Cylinder far enough, it will not fully depress the inner piston and move fluid in a high enough pressure to fully inact the shoes or pads. It may push the piston far enough to create some resistance but not enough.

Good luck tomorrow!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

Well I spent all day working and adjusting what needed to be done. NO IMPROVEMENT. I took it to my friend who has a pressure/vacuum bleeder this afternoon and did twice, still no pedal. Adjusted all the brakes and pushrod too.

We are in agreement that it must be a shelf-dead German unit. As there are no date codes I could find, it may be 10 years old and weak rubber for all I know.

I emailed the place I bought in from and await the reply. Thanks for the tips guys
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

I installed a master cylinder once without bench bleeding it first. After a fair amount of normal bleeding, I had no pedal and adjusted the push rod, giving me some pedal right at the bottom. There was still air in the system. We had to bleed each wheel cylinder until the fluid was clear and then keep going, because there were additional bubbles farther back. We went around the car two or three times, continually filling the reservoir and bleeding. The process took several hours, but I eventually had good brakes. It’s unlikely that the master cylinder is the cause of your problem. If you have no pedal, no leaks, and good adjustment, then you have air in the system.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

I have ran almost 2 quarts of brake fluid through the system, bled it at least 6 times, plus a professional air evacuation over the past 2 days, there is no air left. It is just a weak master cylinder.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

mascrappo wrote:
... I took it to my friend who has a pressure/vacuum bleeder this afternoon and did twice, still no pedal...

Did you push the brake pedal to it's pressure point and fixed it in that position before you started pressure bleeding the system?
For correct bleeding results the pedal has to be fixed in this "compressed position" during the whole pressure bleeding process.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

Is it all drum brakes? Or do you have disc brakes on the front?
The drums need to be adjusted to full lock to bleed it proper. If not at full lock you can have similar issues. There is also a factory spec for the push rod length. You would adjust the pedal stop on the floor only. You do have to readjust the clutch though too.

VW Transporter production film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rceTqDtGgz8
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

I had great brakes before the change, only changed because old cylinder leaked badly out the pushrod. I adjusted brake shoes anyway since I have not done in several years, but they didn't really need it.

Now the new cylinder seems to be getting worse, so it tells me it's weak and losing what pressure it had. Plenty of samba posts describing the same things and new master was to blame.

Again thanks for all the tips, but I am not wasting any more time on this cylinder and will just replace it.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

Take that MC apart and see what's wrong with it, if its just a torn cup put a kit in it and bench bleed it.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

Alright, due to the guilt trips, I bled it again 4 more times tonight per right front, left front, right rear, left rear. Tonight I cracked and bled the fittings on the master cylinder, front then rear. Well, no air I can find and the pedal still went way down. Drove it, stops straight, and will lock up the tires--but you have to stand on it.

After the drive, however, I am able to quickly feather pump the brake pedal and pedal comes right back to the top and holds (where it was before the change). Let off the pedal and try again, almost to the floor. Quickly (not the full pedal travel) pump, brakes are hard and on top, per say.

What gives? Do I have my helper learn the fast/short pump trick to get pedal "up" then bleed again? Is the cylinder truly weak and bypassing? I have no hair to pull out, but if I did! Keep the suggestions coming folks, thanks!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

OK you bleed brakes Right REAR, Left REAR, Right FRONT, and Left FRONT. You are doing it exactly wrong per your post.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
OK you bleed brakes Right REAR, Left REAR, Right FRONT, and Left FRONT. You are doing it exactly wrong per your post.

I'm doing exactly the sequence genuine VW service manual says to bleed them? I agree it sounds strange, all the old Chevys I've bled say to do it your order.
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:

Wrong!!

For dual circuit master cylinders, he's doing it correctly!

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder follow-up Reply with quote

If you can pump up the brakes, and the pedal then holds firm at the top under foot pressure, then I would adjust the brake shoes out farther.
sokyjeepster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder follow-up Reply with quote

I had the same issue when I change the master cylinder in my 71 SB back in November. After replacement, I bled several times. I tried the push rod adjustment, but the rod came out before making contact, so I replaced it back to as original as I could. I ended up doing a Brake Pedal Travel adjustment (http://www.vw-resource.com/brake_adjust.html#travel) and then bled again. After that, all of the sponge was gone and everything ( appears ) to work great so far (just shy of 1,000 miles since).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

vernonc wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Wrong!!

mort

WELL MORT, He said he was using a PRESSURE BLEEDER.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder follow-up Reply with quote

green1303 wrote:
If you can pump up the brakes, and the pedal then holds firm at the top under foot pressure, then I would adjust the brake shoes out farther.

Agreed, the very first thing I'd do in this situation is adjust every brake shoe out until it comes into contact with the drum, sufficient that you cannot turn the wheels. Once adjusted so, test the pedal to see if it is satisfactory or if it still requires pumping to firm up. If the pedal now checks good, back off each shoe adjuster so that the wheel just drags -- three clicks of each adjuster is usually pretty close. If the pedal still required pumping however, then rebleed the entire system with all brake shoes still firmly in contact with the drums, then readjust the shoes after a firm pedal is attained.

If after all that you find no air when bleeding and the pedal still needing to be pumped up, check for obstructions in the master cylinder fluid inlet ports and the reservoir/lines.
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super FTE master cylinder question Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
vernonc wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Wrong!!

mort

WELL MORT, He said he was using a PRESSURE BLEEDER.

mascrappo wrote:

What gives? Do I have my helper learn the fast/short pump trick to get pedal "up" then bleed again? Is the cylinder truly weak and bypassing? I have no hair to pull out, but if I did! Keep the suggestions coming folks, thanks!

Sounds to me like he's using the "pump and hold" method. Besides, earlier he said he took it to a friend and used a "pressure/vacuum" system. I wonder which is was.....pressure or vacuum? With either, there's no particular sequence for bleeding. However, vacuum bleeders are known for drawing air around the threads of the bleeder screws.

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: