Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia potential?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cisumvw557
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

Discovered this bus on my sister in laws fathers land in Northern CA. I’ve owned a half dozen beetles and don’t know much about type 2s, but have always wanted one. From the plate tags it looks to have been sitting outside since 1999. I didn’t take any pictures of the inside because I didn’t want haunta virus but it’s not too bad on rust, wildlife and sun are a different story. It’s gonna take some trouble getting it out of here. I don’t think there’s a more remote place in CA. Is it worth it? Or what would help decide that? Thanks!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

that top is going to be fucked. chances are a hinge blew. it will take decades for that thing to relax and sit right again.

looks like a solid original paint bus. price? if the interior is ALL there I would offer 1K....unless there is something horrid with it.

that top may turn into an ordeal, and they do pop up for sale (see what I did there) but shipping/transport get expensive. that photo looks as if the top has a bend to it

if you're afraid of a little mouse piss, that isn't the bus for you

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cisumvw557
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Yes the top is what is most troubling to me. I’m not sure what type of aftermarket replacements or other options there are for a completely messed up top. The rats don’t bug me; I have a solid experience in biohaz and pest mgmt so I can clean it up, just didn’t want to expose myself for the pictures. Interior looks kind of complete. Drivetrain and engine is all there. He just parked it one day when he couldn’t fix it.

Not really selling it or I’d put it in clasifieds. Just really don’t know much about these later buses and if people are gutting them these days. It’d probably take 2 hrs and $500 just to get it out of the mountains and into Willits.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

Well, of course it's worth it.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion that they should almost all be saved or at least preserved to help others live. Just depends on who is adopting what. How tooled up you are or how much time and money one is able to commit. It doesn't always have to pencil out in the money department

It's an exciting time for bus restoration as most all information needed to complete one is a finger tap away and several companies and resources created around that platform to help source the tools and supply one may need.

The license plate 321 AHA is like a countdown to an idea! Hopefully a good one!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

The top will clean up with some TSP, the paint will clean up with Simple Green, been there done it. The front hinge is screwed to wooden strips glued (Glassed) to the top, the wood rotted just replace it and clean up the hinges. Buy it if the price is right.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

Save all the buses
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba.

Based on the pics looks to be a '70.

I'd bring it home !

Laughing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

If it has a title and is a reasonable price, I’d say buy it. With no title it should be really close to free. Sure the top is a bit screwed up but the body looks good, it has both bumpers and it still has the tall cabinet.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
Save all the buses

What he said!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

pre 75 with a 1600 cc engine no smog required,your for the cost of moving it,now that's a good deal.you will love it.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Cisumvw557
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

I appreciate all the feedback. Long time VW owner and Samba lurker here. I can’t believe you noticed the plates the current owner of the bus was worried that since it’s been unregistered for so long that someone else may have taken his plates. I told him that yeah CA is big but I think they’re still his

Growong up my father had a similar Westfalia that I always thought would be mine. He did a similar thing and parked it one day and eventually had too many fees that he just gave the guy the bus. Since then I went beetle but maybe cause I’ve always been salty about losing my free Westfalia... well I guess here’s my second chance.

The bus is FREE to me and I’ll inquire about the title tomorrow. I was laughed at for a few minutes just for wanting it. This area is difficult to reach without 4x4 (15 miles to nearest maintained dirt) so the fact that this bus was there, and was used often to get in and off that land is impressive in itself. I cant imagine hauling a trailer on the road but a wrecker or flatbed out of the question so trailer and 1/2 ton is the only way.

I live in DC so I’d have to find storage for it and could add it to the query of cars I own that don’t run. It would be a dooZy. My mother looked in the window and thought someone was storing wood inside but she’s never heard of wood rats. I’ll try and get more photos next time I’m out there.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

That plate has bad karma. When that band tried to emigrate to the US they were told to go back to their s* hole
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

Find a local with a tractor and drag it to the dirt road and load it on a trailer.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

You can tell the landowner you are going to furrow their land for the cost of the Bus - go back and forth a few times and you will be all set.

Send us pics on the extraction or we will roast you here.

Very Happy
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

welcome to the fold,
a VW bus is superior to a beetle in every way.

in fact as that bus sits it has more value than most beetles.

here's a little deep woods rescue inspiration for you.
sure not a Bay, but still great footage.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cisumvw557
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

That’s a great video.

It just doesn’t seem to be that rare of the van. I agree that everything should be preserved or at least used to preserve other vans and maybe that’s what’s best here. Are there any particular fail points with these Westfalias besides rust? Something that would make you just not want to delve into a project? Is there anything Any particular part or issue with these vans that’s just impossible to fix? I know if the average folk taking a super beetle convertible with rusted rail buyers is pretty much a project killer.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

Cisumvw557 wrote:
That’s a great video.

It just doesn’t seem to be that rare of the van. I agree that everything should be preserved or at least used to preserve other vans and maybe that’s what’s best here.

If you don't want it, I'll take it Laughing These buses are getting rare man, it isn't the '90s anymore.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

Cisumvw557 wrote:
That’s a great video.

It just doesn’t seem to be that rare of the van. I agree that everything should be preserved or at least used to preserve other vans and maybe that’s what’s best here. Are there any particular fail points with these Westfalias besides rust? Something that would make you just not want to delve into a project? Is there anything Any particular part or issue with these vans that’s just impossible to fix? I know if the average folk taking a super beetle convertible with rusted rail buyers is pretty much a project killer.

The VW Bus was VWs truck so it is heavy duty everywhere. You can load them full and stack stuff on the top and the performance is about the same.
Cisumvw557
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potential? Reply with quote

Update: Bus was running just fine and was parked. One thing leads to another and it just isn’t touched for 20 years. He had no idea where the title is but I imagine that him being the same owner he shouldn’t have too hard a time getting a duplicate. I’ll update if and when I drag it out of the sticks!! Thanks for the encouragement!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: