Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no turn signals- help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

okay I have a 1970 bay bus that has no turn signals at all. I have traced the wires for the turn signal switch and all of them appear to be correct. I would like to know where to start looking. I have just cleaned all fuses and the fuse box to make sure I was getting all the juice to the correct places. my headlights work but no high beams. when I touch the contact points together there is a small spark, but no change in the headlights. I have power to the copper bracket on the turn signal switch when I turn on the headlights, but nowhere else on the turn signal switch. please help, thanks! Confused Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

first place I would check would be the relays. they like to fill up with water.

the flasher relay is '70 only' and get kind of hard to find. you could have a bad switch another '70 only' but others can be made to work.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

I will check them out. I have one little square one that is SWF
there is a black square one that I am almost positive is after market.
and then I have a big square silver one with rounded corners.in the middle.

can you tell me what each relay is for, thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

is this bus new to you or have you owned it for awhile. Did they ever work when you owned it?
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

this is a new bus to me. they have never worked that I know of.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

From the archives: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php
The turn relay is J2 here, which one of your relays has the same color wires going to it?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/1970bus_signals.jpg
The headlight relay is J here, same deal, which of yours has those color wires connected?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/1970bus_schematic_headlights.jpg

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

busdaddy, I just checked and I have the correct color wires in the fuse box but it looks like they are in the wrong place for the relay to engage them all. there is a double brown wire in the fuse box that is not plugging into the turn signal relay due to it position. and the blue wire is the same way it is in the fuse box but does not plug into the relay due to where it is in the fuse box. the blue and double brown wires are not connected to the relay. I hope this makes some kind of sense.
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

just checked the headlight relay and the wires at correct on it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

How many wires are on the back of your emergency flasher switch?, 4 or 9?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

just noticed the turn signal relay is a Wolfsburg west relay. I am removing the wires from the fuse box and putting them in the correct place as per the wiring diagram. I will check the hazard switch then, thanks for all the help so far! Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

Good plan, it's always easier to figure out if everything matches the diagram.
But do check that hazard switch, there's 2 different systems around that time and you'll want to make sure you are wiring for the correct one.

Слава Україні!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

okay just got through connecting the turn signal relay back up per the wiring diagram. now when I turn on the passenger or right turn signal and both front turn signals blink, but no rear signals at all. the emergency flasher was not working but now it makes the two front turn signal lights flash but still no rear flashing. oh yeah I do have a signal light working in the speedometer with the turn signals and the emergency flasher. what do I look at next?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

ragtop man wrote:
what do I look at next?

The hazard switch, we need to know what system you have Wink

Слава Україні!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

just pulled it out and it has 9 wires. that is including the ground wire on the side of the switch
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

before you tear into the front any further, use a VOM to check for voltage at the rear when it is flashing. It could be as simple now that you could have a bad ground back there.
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

okay was just cleaning the grounds up in the back. when I move the turn signal to the left or drivers side it flashes all 4 lights just like the flasher does. when I move the turn signal lever to the right or passenger side turn signal there is nothing. flasher is now working as it should.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

Tell us more about this WW relay?, any photos?, what's the part number on it?
A 9 terminal hazard switch means your bus uses a 3 or 4 terminal flasher, if someone has attempted to install the 68/69 unit you'll be beating your head against the wall.

Слава Україні!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

it is a four terminal flasher WW 211953915C flasher
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

Sure you don't mean 215c?

If that's what you have then carry on, so far the parts seem compatible and it is indeed a 1970 style system, now we have to find the PO suprise or bad ground.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

when you say "nothing", you mean no lights or the lights just come on and don't flash? Is the car running when you do this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: