Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no turn signals- help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

yeah, it is probably 215c on the flasher. I was trying to remember it all, my bad. when I move the turn signal to make a right turn nothing happens as in flashing inside or any flashing noise, but I did not check to see if the lights were coming on and just not flashing on the outside. I did have to swap the tail light wires so I would have running lights instead of brake lights in the rear when the lights were turned on. I did not mention this but I have the turn signal lever out of its housing as I had to re solder the solid brown wire back on to the high beam copper section. I thought I would let you know about that. not sure it matters and the switch is really dirty inside, but it does move and hold both ways. all the help so far is great, thanks to everyone!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

where do I find the legend of what each component on the wiring diagram is?

like what is M12 or x2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

ragtop man wrote:
where do I find the legend of what each component on the wiring diagram is?

like what is M12 or x2

It should be in that very first archive link I posted.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

for some reason the wiring diagram for 1970 bus does not have a key or legend. do you know anywhere else I might find it?
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

the blinkers are working for the most part on the front. I am getting the correct side blinking but the other side faintly blinks , so I think it is a ground problem with the fronts,. I will check that out. the rears are both blinking when I turn on either right or left turn signals, I think I have extra wires connected wrong in the back, I have checked the wiring diagram and it shows side marker lights with bulbs and wires going to them. Mine does not have any bulb housings at all in either side marker. I think this is the problem with the rears both blinking. can you tell me if that sounds correct?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

The side markers won't play any part in the signals. The weak light on the front sounds like a bad ground or dirty socket. The rears both blinking could be caused by a wire on the hazard or signal swith in the wrong place, or a bad ground or three.

I never noticed there wasn't any key for some of those diagrams around that time, the slightly earlier or later version diagram is essentially the same aside from the fuse box (and signals on 68/69), the rest of the components match. If there's something you can't identify ask here and we can tell you what it is or where it's located.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

okay, got to looking at the wiring on the tail lights. I found someone had connected the black and red passenger side tail light wire and the black with yellow striped for the drivers side rear tail light together. I have them separated now but I left my key on while going in to eat dinner and the battery was dead when I got back out to work on it. I did not get to check the turn signals after I separated the two tail light wires. I hope that will do the trick. battery is charging overnight. I will be trying again tomorrow after work. thanks for all the help so far!! Smile
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

hey! I have turn signals now!! I have a couple more questions though.
when I turn the turn signal lever to the left I get a blinking light on the left front turn lens, but the right light has a very faint blinking also. I think it is ground issue, but I am not sure which light to check? can someone please help with that. I really appreciate all the help you all have given me to help me diagnose this problem and solve it! VW people are the best!! Very Happy Very Happy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

One of the left signals is not grounded or the socket is dirty so it's finding a ground path through the parking light circuit, that's why the RH blinks dimly, look closely at night and you may even see the rears glowing a bit.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

Quote:
the rears are both blinking when I turn on either right or left turn signals,

although you solved this problem above it appears - what it and the front issue with the faint blink usually mean is that with the bad ground, it is easier for the electricity to travel thru the common ground wire back to ground thru the other bulb which has a better ground. As BusDaddy suggested - once you clean up the grounds and connectors that issue should go away.
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

thanks again for the help! I will clean the front grounds on both parking lights and hopefully that will do the trick. I have already cleaned the rear grounds. should I have separate turn signal lights in the speedometer? I am only getting one, the right signal arrow flashes for both turn signals. please let me know if that is correct, thanks! Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

Cleaning the grounds will help, but may not solve the issue, you also have to clean the insides of each socket so the shell of the bulb can make good contact with it, that's how it grounds in the socket.

The arrows both flash regardless of which way you turn, sounds like one of yours is burnt out or loose.

Слава Україні!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

okay, I will check the bulb sockets tomorrow and see what I find. I do see another bulb flashing in behind the speedometer when I have the emergency flasher on. I will have to check on that also. hopefully it is just a burnt out bulb, I have more of them. I will let you know what I find out, thanks!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

okay, I worked on it some more this evening. I got the front turn signals corrected. the PO painted the whole passenger side bulb holder black, including the inside of the bulb socket. I got that cleaned up and the faint blinking went away, even in the dark. the rear passenger side is still acting up, but I am almost positive it is a bad bulb holder. I did replace the other wheat bulb in the speedometer and it started working. I thank you all again for all your help. I hope this post will help someone else that has a blinker problem in the future. Very Happy
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

can someone please tell me why when I tighten my turn signal housing down as it should be the lever will not park or stay up or down to make the turn signals work? If I take it loose from the column it works as it should and stays for left and right signals. I do not know what is causing this. I have the collar in it. I have tried to put it as close to the steering wheel as possible. anybody have any ideas?? Confused
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

The C shaped steel insert (shaped like an elongated horseshoe) has been crushed by previous overtightening and savagery, flatten it slightly to reduce the curve so it clamps against the column and stops the switch from squishing into the cancelling ring.

Слава Україні!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

bus daddy do you mean bring the ends closer to make the c shape smaller or tighter?

I did notice every time I take it apart the c shape ring is stuck to the steering column.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

Ends further apart.

Слава Україні!
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: no turn signals- help Reply with quote

okay so spread it apart. I will try that tomorrow and let you know what I come up with thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: