Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

E1,

It sounds like you are getting some good advice here and I want to add my 2 cents.

First, you've mentioned something about "euro wheels that have the wrong offset." Since your problem is not bottoming out, but actually tire interference with the body, I think you should post that wheel and its offset so the experts can help you. You've installed tires that are more than 10% larger than stock, have tread block/shoulders that are much more square than the stock type tire, and pushed those tires closer to the body work, and the tires are also WIDER than stock. Without making a single change to the spring, I'd expect you to have tire interference with the body and that's exactly what you have.

I'd also expect you to have longer braking distances due to the larger tires.

I know I have a reputation for suggesting people keep things stock. But I will say I've had my Syncro loaded on factory wheels and stock tire size past its GVW and it drove perfectly acceptably. No sway, wobble, etc. Sure, it settled down on the springs but the thing was fine and Syncros have an amazing load capability right from the factory. A few months ago, we had our 2017 Subaru Outback loaded to within a couple hundred pounds of its max GVW and it also drove just fine for a 3000 mile trip. No wallowing, no bottoming, and I even performed a high speed emergency evasive maneuver at 90mph+ in Montana.

I point this out because everyone is quick to feel they need to modify wheels, springs, and shocks to drive heavy. I would suggest that changing so many variables can bring unexpected results (wheels, wheel offset, tire diameter, springs, shocks). For instance, I am driving with my 2WD Vanagon with 14" stock Vanagon wheels with new tires that are rated at over 2000lbs each. I would have no problem loading it to its max 5200lbs rating and heading out on a trip with rough roads. And I retain the factory handling, braking and can put chains on the tires with the proper factory clearances as I have done this winter already.

The purpose in my writing this is not to criticize what you're doing or why you're doing it. It is merely to make others aware that making wholesale changes to a vehicle like this can cause issues. It's a bummer the springs did not hold their shape and I'd agree that amount of settling should not be accepted. But would you be having any issues other than that if you were on stock wheels with the correct offset and smaller tires with the correct load rating?

I hope the issue is resolved, and I also hope the shop you are dealing with and also the parts vendor get engaged in doing their part. Frankly, a poorly engineered automotive spring is a liability nightmare, and if they don't jump on it, I'd be appalled and wonder who their liability insurance carrier is. You deserve better than this for the money you are spending to create a very capable vehicle.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Ugh, I have the GoWesty lift springs with Bilsteins too. I like the lifted look, but the ride has gotten so.... wallowy that it feels unsafe after about 4 yrs. They sounded so confident about these springs beind “progressive”. A little jag in the steering makes the van feel awful- I dread what it would do in an emergency. I may have the stock springs reinstalled.
Jivermo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

GW has a lot of innovative products, and it's great to have a vendor like them exist, during these times of diminishing quality parts for our vehicles. However, they seem to have given E1 here the short end of the stick, with his problem. The right thing for them to do is to FIX E1’s dilemma. If they are promoting their system, but it does not work (which is what I’m hearing), they need to get their hands on his Vanagon, and make it right. And then, use what they have learned to develop their product so that it actuall works for their clients. Why are they NOT doing that?
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

As mentioned before, what specs are the wheels, and what thickness are the spacers.
With Lucy, I run carat Springs and bilstein blacks, wheels are e class mercedes, 7j x 16 ET37,I think, 215/65/16 tires, no spacers, I'm not as careful as the wife would like, and I don't bottom out, or hit the fender lip.
I REALLY like how Lucy handles, so much better that when she had a stock front end.
I have the van cafe oversize spare carrier, I guess I do scrape it sometimes, that's as much me not paying attention, as anything else.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Quote:
In most of my cars I like a harsher ride for the handling benefits, and to really feel the road, but appreciate the nuance here.

The interesting thing is that while a common thought is to make a suspension system stiffer is to make it handle better, the stiffer a suspension system gets, the less pressure is put to the ground by the tire on anything but a perfectly smooth road. The suspension system needs to be compliant enough to allow the tire to follow imperfections in the road under all sorts of conditions while keeping the friction/pressure of the tire on the ground as consistently as possible. Many, many times a stiffer suspension system makes the driver feel better, but it does not equate to maximum traction.

Quote:
I'm no suspension expert, but watching serious off-road cars it at least appears they're using very stiff springs with pretty soft shocks and struts. Such a setup may not apply here, though.

It's actually the opposite. Those off-road trucks use the softest springs possible for the given conditions (that is not to say that they use the softest springs, but rather that softest springs that allow them full suspension travel without bottoming out) along with extremely hi-tech shocks. Think of it this way: Springs are the muscles of the system and the shocks are the brains. Without proper shocks, the springs would bounce wildly out of control. Yes, the springs can be made stiffer and stiffer which seems to control some of this wildness, but that's because the spring can't compress or extend as much for a given vehicle. weight. This makes an unknowing driver feel like the suspension has more control, but all that has happened is that suspension travel has been limited with the downside of limiting the available suspension travel and creating a harsher ride quality. Again, the theory is to run the softest springs possible for the given conditions and run the best shocks for the conditions. And yes, it is definitely possible to run very soft springs along with shocks that make the ride quality harsh. It's all about the balance.

Quote:
If my current combination could simply hold the weight up and hadn't sagged, I'd be happy enough, the pavement handling is fine in thanks partly to running higher tire pressures -- but clearly this setup isn't designed for anywhere near GVWR.
... I have suspected shortcuts were made to have these go from pretty damned good to sponge-like in a few short weeks. Very Disappointing.

It's not about the weight of your van that caused any issues with the GW springs sagging. It's simply about poor design, materials, and processes. The springs did not get softer, they simply lost their load height...which is the fancy way of saying they simply got shorter. They still hold the same amount of weight they were made to, but they do it at a shorter ride height. What I am saying is that coil suspension springs never lose their rate (assuming they haven't broken, been heated up, length altered, etc.). A spring with a rate of 450 lb requires 450 lb to compress it one inch, 900 lbs to compress it two inches, 1350 lb to compress it three inches, etc. Never in the life of the spring will it require much less than 450 lb to compress it one inch.

What a spring does lose over time is the load height. This is what most people refer to as spring sag. This is what you are experiencing with the GW springs. Springs that are made to high-quality standards maintain their load height for a much longer period of time while springs that are made with poor quality materials and/or have not gone through the proper processes of surface treatments and heat treatment will lose their load height much sooner. So...to reiterate, your springs simply got shorter, not softer.

And as has been mentioned, tire size, wheel size, wheel offset play a critical roll in making sure the tires do not contact the front fender lips. It's all about the overall combination of involved parts.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

My $0.02-

87 Westy half camper (Weekender). Moog 5660 springs, KYB Gas-adjust shocks installed 6-2015, 10,000 miles. My current ride height is 17". The 5660 springs replaced original springs with 190,000 miles. My 215/65-16 tires on GoWesty 16x7.5" ET 23 wheels used to rub the wheel arch slightly upon turning into fairly steep driveway aprons. This has never happened since. The ride could be described as "a little stiff or harsh", but nothing that I would call unacceptable. The biggest test offroad was on forest service access and private drives through Olalla Canyon and Hay Canyon outside of Cashmere, WA. This was mostly at slower speed - first/second gear. Also, driving Chumstick Highway/Chiwawa River Rd outside of Leavenworth, WA. This was a washboard section that we drove in third/fourth gear at 35-40 mph. We never felt unsafe or uncomfortable. I'm pretty happy with this arrangement.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig

Last edited by riceye on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

I missed saying something else I thought relevant. If your vehicle's wheel and tire combination interferes with the body during full suspension cycle, then part of the cure is proper sized wheels and tires. Curing it with a suspension so stiff it will not cycle into interference means the suspension is seriously compromised in its job to accommodate a choice of wheels/tires.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Sorry for keeping you all waiting for my replies!

I am on a critical project regarding our upcoming BusStudio features on a major computer monitor website, but should be back here later today.

So for now, please keep the info coming and THANK YOU ALL for your help!!! Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

E1,

A data point for you to consider:

A year ago I replaced springs and shocks on my 2WD. I read all the posts that I could find and chatted with Christopher at T3. I bought 2WD Schwenk (Syncro.org) springs and Rancho shocks. Key considerations for the springs:

- Too many posters here said they saw the GW springs lose ride height over time. Several folks were on their second or third set of GW springs.
- Schwenk springs were recommended by a few folks, incl. Christopher.
- I was replacing both front and rear so the Schwenk matched set seemed like a good solution (v. Moog fronts with different rear springs)
- I really wanted to go with the look and clearance of high-lift springs but I prioritized hwy road handling for my needs (others’ needs are likely different from mine, FWIW, YMMV Very Happy )

Ride heights (axle center to fender lip, starting at front passenger and going clockwise to end at the front drivers side) have remained steady at:
- 16 5/8” PF
- 16 5/8” PR
- 16 3/8” DR
- 15 3/4” DF

The driver’s front measurement bugs me and I have spacers from Syncro.org that I may use to adjust this. But I also have a 100 ah batt in the kitchen cabinet, a 50ah batt under the driver’s seat and the Westy camper gear weighing that front corner down.

I like all aspects of this set-up with the exception of the lower ride height on the driver’s front. The van is stable in winds and at speed even with the high-top.

Fully loaded: 2,500 lbs front axle, 2,580 lbs rear axle.

I also have the GW 16” wheels and 215/65 R16” Nokian tires and they don’t hit the fenders but they must be close since you have the same size tires and possibly the same wheels (E1, which wheels do you have? Any spacers?)

E1, you’ve gotten a lot of good advice here. Hopefully, you can get some springs that work better for you.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Good to hear your input Christopher.
Never have tried the schwenk springs, don't even know who sells them.

Steve Schwenk at Syncro.org sells ‘em. He was very helpful on the phone with me. Recommended.
http://syncro.org/

Also Van Cafe...
http://www.van-cafe.com/2wd-springs-by-schwenk

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
levi wrote:
Good to hear your input Christopher.
Never have tried the schwenk springs, don't even know who sells them.

Steve Schwenk at Syncro.org sells ‘em. He was very helpful on the phone with me. Recommended.
http://syncro.org/contact/

Also Van Cafe...
http://www.van-cafe.com/2wd-springs-by-schwenk

T3 Technique has them in stock too.
http://www.t3technique.com/suspension-and-drivetrain/vanagon-suspension/standard-2wd-spring-set.html

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:

T3 Technique has them in stock too.
http://www.t3technique.com/suspension-and-drivetrain/vanagon-suspension/standard-2wd-spring-set.html

All of the best seem to carry them. Very Happy (Eion just installed one of your yellow transmission mounts on my van - hopefully that will end the annual replacement of this part.)

Christopher, your website says that ride height will be about 17.5”. My van is at the ride heights below at 5,080 lbs road trip weight. Do you recommend adding spacers to the driver’s side front spring (no spacers installed yet).

Ride heights (axle center to fender lip, starting at front passenger and going clockwise to end at the front drivers side) have remained steady at:
- 16 5/8” PF
- 16 5/8” PR
- 16 3/8” DR
- 15 3/4” DF

E1, not trying to highjack, I’m hoping this might be relevant to your conundrum.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

From experience with conversing with Christopher of T3, I've had nothing but good advice, and a good experience with my Van. If he tells me that my choice of 16" rims is going to offer me the range of 195mm to 205mm to NOT hit the body, then I listen. If he says that a better ride is achieved with LOWER springs, such as the Carat has, then that is what I look for, etc.

My dad once had to sit me down. I had taken him to a few places where I wanted to do a project on our ranch. I asked him for advice. He gave his advice, and I didn't take it. His response was "If you are not going to take my advice, then don't ask"

Oh... and, did you Roll the Lip yet?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Issues and solutions

1. Ride height 15” causes tires to hit fender lip. Replace with different brand springs.

2. Overinflation of the tire that is 10 pounds heavier than stock, defeats the shock damping, because the tires bounce too much and do not dampen any impact. Solution, inflate to correct doorjamb pressure.

3. Tires hit fender lip because GW wheel offset is moving the wheel too far away from the body, and because 215x65x16 tires are 0.39” wider than stock, and 10 pounds heavier than stock, and wheels are 1” wider than stock. Solution, go to stock wheels and stock tires, at stock inflation.

4. Vehicle is overloaded, and carries people in both front seats, this causes low ride height, and increases load on the shocks, defeating their ability to dampen impacts. Solution, change to a vehicle capable of carrying the load in stock form, do not modify wheel size, rim offset, spring height, spring stiffness, nor stock inflation.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

And stay off Jon's lawn!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

I run the 2WD schwenk springs with revalved Bilstein shocks on my 2WD Westy and am very happy with the setup. It is a firmer ride than original but not harsh. I have not had any problems with the springs. They were installed over 3 years / 30k miles ago.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

I feel bad for the original poster in getting this variety of responses. He doesn't know which posts are just self serving and which ones were actually trying to solve his problem. He basically just needs new front springs. He could swap out the set for syncro.org 2wd springs but that is $60 vs. $360. What the heck, it's only his money.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

The quick reply for those who asked, we have the 16" Euro wheels from GW, having what I presume only come with one offset.

Late edit to clarify: I didn't buy these from GW but thought they were the source. Sorry, they're available to several shops from a different supplier.

To everyone else but one, I again apologize for my slow replies!

I will asap, and I really appreciate and respect all your help!

Except this one...

Jon_slider wrote:
Issues and solutions

1. Ride height 15” causes tires to hit fender lip. Replace with different brand springs.

2. Overinflation of the tire that is 10 pounds heavier than stock, defeats the shock damping, because the tires bounce too much and do not dampen any impact. Solution, inflate to correct doorjamb pressure.

3. Tires hit fender lip because GW wheel offset is moving the wheel too far away from the body, and because 215x65x16 tires are 0.39” wider than stock, and 10 pounds heavier than stock, and wheels are 1” wider than stock. Solution, go to stock wheels and stock tires, at stock inflation.

4. Vehicle is overloaded, and carries people in both front seats, this causes low ride height, and increases load on the shocks, defeating their ability to dampen impacts. Solution, change to a vehicle capable of carrying the load in stock form, do not modify wheel size, rim offset, spring height, spring stiffness, nor stock inflation.

1. As noted

2). Bottoms out on dirt at 30 psi.

3). Not my doing, and not a "solution."

4). Vehicle is at GVWR when measured to 15" as said (Edit: re-measured today with bus weighing approximately 5,000 lbs., 15").

Any further comment would be unfair and unproductive to readers and others with this same issue.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 pm; edited 7 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Have an auto body shop roll the fender lip? Could be a cheap way to get by for a while if you call around for best pricing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHfMKRhY514

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I feel bad for the original poster in getting this variety of responses. He doesn't know which posts are just self serving and which ones were actually trying to solve his problem. He basically just needs new front springs. He could swap out the set for syncro.org 2wd springs but that is $60 vs. $360. What the heck, it's only his money.

Gosh, I hope you weren't referring to me with this statement, Dave. I sure hope not, but if this statement was directed at me, I would like a chance to explain my position. Please let me know.

Last edited by Christopher Schimke on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: