Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Rear Wheel Studs Replacement
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Westy Rear Wheel Studs Replacement Reply with quote

Got two broken studs in the rear wheel, so doing a replacement job. The castle nut came off a lot easier than I had thought. I bought these studs way back from VC, and now just realized they need to be cut as well as the base is a lot thinner than the original.

My question is anyone had used these studs before on a full camper and no problem? I am a little concerned if the base of the stud would crack in the long run since I drive my camper fully loaded with wife, kids and bikes and go camping up at the mountain. I was gonna do all five, and am thinking I should only do the two that look beat up.

I drove around for two weeks with at least one bad stud and I was surprised to see some wear on the hub opposite of the bad stud.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Rear Wheel Studs Replacement Reply with quote

I don't think you'd have an issue with the stud pulling through the hub when torqued and under full load. You do need to consider that the splines are not protruding past the drum very much. You also need to pay attention that your lug bolts don't bottom out on the longer stud before the wheel is tight.

I would contact Christopher at T3 Technique. He knows about all there is to know about wheel mounting. I would not mix and match though.
mbwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Rear Wheel Studs Replacement Reply with quote

Duh, I mixed and matched already. It turns out 4 were bad, one was still ok. I fit checked with the wheel on before buttoning up and torqued everything down. I did have to cut down the studs.

Now, as I pulled the hub off, the axle spine had some grease on it. Not bad, but a coated layer. Is that expected? Or should I be concerned with the bearing seal started leaking grease?

Thx for your help!

Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: