Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear drum brakes
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rr8325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Anybody have this issue? On rear drum brake I am reassembling from new parts and the notch in the push bar seems to be just a smidgen shallow. Even with the star adjusters all the way in the drum does not want to slip on. This is only on one side. If I could deepen the notch on the bar it would solve my problem. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

I would compare the push bar to the one on the other side to see if they are different. If they are the same then I would deepen the notch on the shoe.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Double check your adjusters to be sure they are the right type (angled or straight) for the type of shoe you have AND if angled, the angle matches the angle on the shoe. You would not be the first person who mismatched shoes and adjusters or had the adjusters in upside down. Embarassed
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

I believe the shoe is straight where the shoe contacts the adjuster for '58-'64.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rr8325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Yes, both the adjusters and the shoes are straight. I guess I'm thinking this is a case of aftermarket parts not playing together so well...
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Loosen adjustment nuts at E-brake handle then retry. Also, some shoe spring pins and springs are too long. I reused the original shoe spring, spring retaining pins and caps.
fly2kads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like there is a bit of a gap on the right hand star adjuster, like the shoe is not seating well in the slot. It may be the pic, or my old, tired eyes, but that would be worth confirming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Usually the culprit should be identified by increasing testing.

Try to remount all with the e-brake cable detached from inside the drum.

If not success: try to remount drum without the push bar, checking if upper part of shoes does deeply push-in the cylinder halves.

If not success: re-check shoes if they are definitively straight by posing them on a flat surface.

Be sure that both (cylinder and adjuster) have the NARROW slot, i.e. the shoe should be firmly seated into the slot and perfectly aligned with drum internal face.

Only a few parts maker (LPR, FAG...) have the correct narrow slot cylinders, while others declare compliance for large slot cylinders that are wrong.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Did the other side go together OK?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Things I see: The forward shoe is sitting slightly higher than the rear shoe on the backing plate.

Things I’ve experienced: the wheel cylinder is not fully compressed. Loosen the bleeder screw and squeeze the two brake pads together so the pistons go in the wheel cylinder more. Then make sure the shoes are centered vertically

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Don't alter the E-brake shoe connecting link. Loosen ebrake cables and compress shoes in by hand. Looks like ebrake lever is slightly activated in picture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: