Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

They say this is OEM windshield is it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

They say they have OEM windshields what is your opinion?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-2003-Volkswagen-Beetle-Windshield-OEM-Brand-New-/142568615629
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

Nope! Says 'Made in China'
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

Not sure how or where you will find OEM glass. Price is not bad with shipping included. Its sucks that you will pay as much or more to ship a windshield than the glass itself costs.....BUT inspect it carefully if you get it. I bought a couple last year that were starting to delaminate around the edges. I dont remember the brand though.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

planenut wrote:
Nope! Says 'Made in China'

It isn't an OEM brand .........

But...... Admit it, a LOT of OEM brand merchandise is made in China.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

anyone know of a better source for a front windshield, Had my original for 7 years now that I am ready to install glass I went to the shed and somehow it got cracked.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

ilustr8tor wrote:
anyone know of a better source for a front windshield, Had my original for 7 years now that I am ready to install glass I went to the shed and somehow it got cracked.
the classifieds here.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

ilustr8tor wrote:

FWIW when I replaced mine a local glass shop had one in stock. Think it was like $150ish all together including installation.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

Pretty sure the last couple I got were from Jbugs, but they were for 58-64. The later style in my inventory came from MTM. Had the delam issues from EVparts, but they took care of the problem. Apparently I got the only 2 bad ones. Neither of us had ever seen that before and I had got good ones from him before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

Go to a local autoglass shop or call Safelite. They'll put it in for you too.
Robert H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

Actually the eBay ad is deceptive. OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer". The ad was clearly meant to trick you into thinking that the windshield is OEM. But further down in the fine print it says:

"What is OEM Glass?
An OEM windshield will be identical to the original, factory installed windshield that came with your car when it was brand new. These windshields may not necessarily be manufactured by the company who made the windshield originally installed on your car, but they are nearly identical in every way."

Very deceptive indeed. Don't be fooled. Someone should report this to eBay.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

ilustr8tor wrote:

We have a place here in Connecticut, Bug City. The price was about the same as J Bugs with shipping but I picked it up myself. He also has used glass. There has to be somebody like that near you. I also got one from a guy at a show who I think is from PA. Price was the same there too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

The issue with glass is that many places wont ship it. And if they do, the shipping charge is really high. Correct packing is not trivial and many places actually double box them. Since I have a shop, I usually buy several at a time and get a break (no pun intended) on shipping costs, so that helps a little.
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

OK JBugs has the windshield for 54.00:

http://www.jbugs.com/product/113845101D.html?gclid...RAQAvD_BwE

Mid American Motorworks for 119.00:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/clear-windshield-sedan_309512

and there is the one on EBAY that is FUYAO brand, not sure what the others are. Need to order this soon. Wish I felt better about my sources. Anyone have a good experience with buying front windshield?
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

Do you have a local glass shop near you to check?
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

I have called every shop in the area the ones that have the glass are either XYG, FYG or FYUAO. I have read nothing but horror stories about these companies. Looking for someone with PPG or PGW brand. Anyone?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

there is a Samba member that is a very professional Glass installer who has sourced me glass for my VW. He knows his stuff very well, knows which brands are good, which are not, knows where to get the good stuff. Very good resource for the VW and an expert in glass.

link to his page...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=18076

Contact him, I am sure he can source you the best glass. He owns and drives vintage VWs, glass is his profession.

His name is Stacey

Drop him an email.

good luck Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

just sent him an email hope he gets back to me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Betty needs a front windshield.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

FYG is an OEM supplier to many newer cars. Not an original OEM supplier to VW back in the day, but they are an OEM supplier. I do remember a FYG front windshield fitting better than a PGW in a '65 Chevy C10 we had in our glass shop a while back. I woudn't be afraid of it.

http://www.fuyaousa.com/oem-glass/

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

ilustr8tor wrote:

Is it a windshield for a '65 youre looking for? Editing this cause it was a dumb question after I saw your last post. I may have an og Sekurit or Sigla or Duro-glass one around here but I'd have to check if you are interested in it.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: They say this is OEM windshield is it? Reply with quote

The company name is OEM

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: