Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
. Probably 25,000 of them are in Ballard, Seattle

I call BS on that, I just watched Harry and the Hendersons with the the kids tonight and only counted 5 bay windows Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

Once when visiting a FLAPS, I peered around at the clerk's computer screen as he looked up a part for my '83 (isn't that really all they do anymore?). As he burrowed down through the menus of makes/models, I seem to recall seeing production numbers for the respective Vanagon models available that year: 2.0L air-cooled, 1.9L WBX, and 1.6L diesel.

Will ask again the next time I'm there ...

Last edited by Jeffrey Lee on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

I read on some government report that after 30 years, only 1% of that years car production run are still in existance.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I read on some government report that after 30 years, only 1% of that years car production run are still in existance.

I think that really depends on the model.
I think the percentage of Ford Tempos that saw the crusher is way higher than VW westfalias or BMW M3s
The few cars from the 80s early 90s that are collectible retained a greater percentage of their value in the intervening years.
A well sorted late model westy has never been worth less than 7 or 8 thousand.
You cant say that about many vehicles
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I think that really depends on the model.
I think the percentage of Ford Tempos that saw the crusher is way higher than VW westfalias or BMW M3s
The few cars from the 80s early 90s that are collectible retained a greater percentage of their value in the intervening years.
A well sorted late model westy has never been worth less than 7 or 8 thousand.
You cant say that about many vehicles

I agree it's make/model specific. Clearly VW's air cooled cars, Vanagons, Mustangs, and muscle cars survived in much greater numbers than say the Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega or other throw away cars from the same period.

I see TV shows from the early 80's. You can see the cars in the scenes. I'm always amazed that many of those cars from only 30-40 years ago are long gone and haven't been seen on the road in decades.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
HackAl wrote:
How do you get the month/day/year?

Or is it day/month/year?

November 8 sounds about right for 7,500 into a production year.

Busman’s web page suggests that #7,500 was built before the end of August 1983 (serial #17,130 produced by 8/31/1983...if I m reading that correctly which is not a great assumption Very Happy ).

1984 MODEL YEAR – E
SERIAL NUMBER MANU DATE FROM

000 001 01/08/83
017 130 31/08/83
030 692 30/09/83
043 403 31/10/83
056 804 30/11/83
067 824 31/12/83
081 562 31/01/84
094 461 29/02/84
105 852 31/03/84
117 870 30/04/84
129 579 31/05/84
132 312 30/06/84

http://busman.be/syncro-information/t3articles/t3-manufacturedays/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
Quote:
ours is in the 007500 range and built on exactly 8-11-83.

How do you get the month/day/year?

You can send away for a birth certificate from VW, or determine it yourself via the PKN, which is found on the van's build sheet sticker (below/behind the fuse panel) and/or build plate (under front left seat):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The PKNs for the above are:
Sticker: 16-1-7365 (translates to Monday, April 16, 1984)
Plate: 21-6-0079 (translates to Saturday, May 24, 1986)

Use this guide to decipher your PKN: http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Misc/BuildDate.pdf .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

the rustiest one i has is an east coast van, you have got me on that one, there's very little snow to shovel come winter, there are a good amount of rusty vans that live close to the beach, the sea air is very unfriendly, i have one i look after that is ABSOLUTELY a death trap, it's owner can't just throw it away, but that is what it needs, the A and B pillar on the passenger side are rotted though
there's a picture here, https://www.facebook.com/rubbachicken/photos/a.153...mp;theater

i think it would cost a fortune to make that van safe and strong again Sad

dobryan wrote:
markswagen wrote:
There are hundreds here in San Diego.
I look after about 80 regularly now, every day I'm out working and I still see vans I've not seen before.
There are 3 or 4 shops in town that have a larger client base than I do.

And I have 4 also Smile

Hmm let me guess.... where do they NOT salt the roads in the winter....basically west of the rockies and other areas. And those areas along the pacific previously embraced the VW bus culture before the Vanagons arrived.

Out here on the east coast it is hard to see one, and a rust free one is a unicorn...
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

I estimate that I saw 7 on the road last year, and 4 that were not drive-able, parked. There were 5 at a VW event I went to, so I figure that makes around 12, including mine. If I went through the "seen one lately" thread, and counted, I think I'd get up to around 200. I see more Pinto's with their gas tanks hanging out of the back bumper than Vanagons around here.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I agree it's make/model specific. Clearly VW's air cooled cars, Vanagons, Mustangs, and muscle cars survived in much greater numbers than say the Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega or other throw away cars from the same period.

I've been familiar with both Pintos and Vegas from friends & family that owned them. I regard the Pinto as a reasonably decent attempt to compete in the compact market, while GM's car haulers should have just driven the Vegas past the dealership and taken them direct to the crusher when new.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Abscate wrote:
levi wrote:
What's a Xevin?

It's just a xool name.

Laughing

If you think its funny to be K-dyslekic, I can't say the letter C

Khaki, Kuwait, Kipple, Kings Bollege Bambridge.....

What a silly Bunt.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

What does it matter how many are still legally registered?

I'm here, you're here,

Life is GOOD!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

According to my count, there are 303.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1562320&location=USA&add=1#

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:

That is a pretty nifty site! I'm the only one in the upper peninsula Sad
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
Forthwithtx wrote:

That is a pretty nifty site! I'm the only one in the upper peninsula Sad

My parents are about an hour SW of Marquette. Look for a white 84 westy, Dad LOVES to talk about his van.
-d

Edit: I guess 8000 left in the US.
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

Kamz: Thanks. Unfortunately, my sticker under the dash is gone and I have no plate under my seat.

I did, however, find a long, rectangular sticker in my driver's side door jam that includes the VIN.

It also says:
"MFD BY VOLKSWAGEN AG GERMANY, F.R. 04/91"
"INCOMPLETE VEHICLE MANUFACTURED 01/91"
"assembled in Austria"

Then, at the bottom, I see "4990 5016224". I'm wondering if those digits correspond with my missing PKN numbers somehow.

Another question: At what point in the year did the production stop for the "model year" so that they could start producing the subsequent model year. For example, 91's were available for sale in the third quarter of 1990.

Dave: You're right. None of this really matters. Just a nagging curiosity for me.

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
Kamz: Thanks. Unfortunately, my sticker under the dash is gone and I have no plate under my seat.

The plate on a full-camper is difficult to see without a) an inspection camera or small mirror, or b) removing the welded-in swivel base.

HackAl wrote:
Another question: At what point in the year did the production stop for the "model year" so that they could start producing the subsequent model year.

Production run for model years is August 1st to July 31st.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

Are we including Area51 in this count?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

Our '84 ends in 7500-something and was born on August 11, 1983. Party Hats.

I called 1-800-DRIVE-VW and read my VIN.

But I presume the Westy stuff was done later, anyone know?

Matters little, I figure "born" to mean "engine installed." Cool

— Colin Chapman
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an estimate on the number of Vanagons on the road? Reply with quote

Quote:
while GM's car haulers should have just driven the Vegas past the dealership and taken them direct to the crusher when new.

Epic line, Jim

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: