Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

identifying this loose wire under the dash
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

That may have been power heading off to power a radio or something else. It would have been sufficient had they just removed the female spade from the switch verse cutting it off and taping it.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

That flasher switch looks like it starting to come apart,Put a zip tie on it to keep it together.no idea why they cut the wire,you were refering to that red wire with the tape on it.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

lil-jinx....Yes I was..

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

It appears the cut wire has a "piggy-back" type terminal. Remove it, and connect the secondary wire back to the switch. The schematic shows only one red wire going to the switch.

Note: this wire is "hot" all of the time. Might want to disconnect the battery before surgery...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

Something else odd is, the duplex connector (that's what that piggy back is called) and all the terminals are the same style, non insulated and have the same discoloration. Telling me they are OG. Aftermarket like the other nylon or vinyl insulated terminals that have been used, are a dead give away that someones messed with it. Defiantly pulling the switch and making things correct.

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

Yes, they are both hot, but 15 is only hot when the key is on. 30 is hot all of the time. Thus, working on #15 wires with the key off is no big deal.
The un-insulated piggy-back terminals are readily available (I use them all the time, although I prefer the tin-plated versions), so it's sometimes hard to tell if it's added on or not. The fact that it's cut, but everything still seems to work indicates that it's an add-on. A previously installed but removed aftermarket stereo would explain it.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

I agree with you about about the stereo. That makes sense. Even though no stereo is in the car. Zinc plated insulated terminals are best. Ones that are double crimp with support sleeves and funnel entry with diamond grip, like Amp terminals are best. As for this wire and terminal. That terminal was crimped by the same tool that crimped the other wires. I can tell from the indentations that the tool made. Im in the business of electrical terminals, tools, crimpers, wire and such. www.hi-line.com

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

I guess it's a good thing Im snooping around before I drive this thing. Nice crimp job using a terminal on a hot wire under the dash...YA, RIGHT..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

My guess is that someone removed the insulated shield from the original terminal because it interfered with the piggy back terminal. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the double barrel terminal on the added red wire has been prised open and reused, it certainly doesn't look like it was crimped down over the insulation very carefully.

Getting rid of PO old add-ons that are left dangling and very often unfused should be one of the first steps taken after buying a used vehicle. The wiring left from horns, lights, stereos, etc that PO have left running everywhere around the vehicle account for a lot of wiring harness melt downs and some vehicle fires as well.
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

Wildthings...agreed.

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
It appears the cut wire has a "piggy-back" type terminal. Remove it, and connect the secondary wire back to the switch. The schematic shows only one red wire going to the switch.

Note: this wire is "hot" all of the time. Might want to disconnect the battery before surgery...

Use heat shrink or something to insulate the terminal on the "hot" wire as well.
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: identifying this loose wire under the dash Reply with quote

That's another good idea. I also sell terminals that have heat shrink already on them. And terminals that have solder in them with heat shrink.

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: