Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug dies while downshifting --timing weird
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedbird73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Bug dies while downshifting --timing weird Reply with quote

So, I have been searching the forums for a while now, but haven't been able to find exactly the same issue so here it is:

While driving my bug ('72 1600 DP manual with an 009 distributor) over the summer, all was fine. I went away to college, and came back to drive it about 2 months later. It was still fine.

I got it out of the garage a few days ago and the engine doesn't want to idle when downshifting if I keep the clutch in too long, so I have to work the gas while slowing down. The engine also bogs down or stumbles when I try and accelerate in different gears.

This is where things get interesting: I fumbled with the carb and idle and nothing seemed to help, so I turned to the timing. I plugged in the timing light, and found that the timing marks are nowhere close to where they should be. Instead the timing marks are probably 40-50 degrees to the left of the center of the case (Near where the fan belt leaves the crank pulley heading up to the generator). I tried turning the distributor to get them back towards the split in the case, but it bogged down and died.....But, in the past when I had adjusted my valves, lining up the marks with the split, brought everything to TDC.

Starting to think that the stumbling/dying is because of points not advancing properly. Lots of issues, but any help would be nice!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug dies while downshifting --timing weird Reply with quote

Could be condenser. Could be dirty carb. Could be.....
I would clean up the carb. Couldn’t hurt. I had a dirty carb that had that same symptom once.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug dies while downshifting --timing weird Reply with quote

Ground strap?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug dies while downshifting --timing weird Reply with quote

I'd start with setting the engine valves. Then, set the timing to 7.5BTDC or 30* rev'd up till all advance is in.

Yank the carb and take it apart. Soak it carb cleaner overnight. It sounds like your idle circuit is clogged. Blow out all the passages with carb cleaner. Reassemble and adjust it correctly. 2.5 turns out is a BASE SETTING. Sometimes you have to turn them out further to achieve a good idle.

Then, ditch your 009 and get a Bosch SVDA or DVDA that is matched to your 34-3. You'll enjoy driving your bug so much more without flat spots or off idle hesitations. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug dies while downshifting --timing weird Reply with quote

What Bill said. Here is some fine video for your enjoyment

Link

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug dies while downshifting --timing weird Reply with quote

Before you do any changes to your timing... set the point gap/dwell. It sounds like the gap has changed. Did the rubbing block on the points come off?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug dies while downshifting --timing weird Reply with quote

^^^
This.

Also, check the wires coming out of the distributor cap. Pull all of them out, one at a time, and inspect them for corrosion. Especially the coil feed. Also, check the coil one, at the coil. Sometimes a small amount of moisture gets down in there and stews. If you parked it and it was left wet, and put away, it may have grown a flower under those boots.

If that all checks out, change your fuel filter. Then put a wrench on the two nuts that hold the carb on the intake manifold. Also check your intake boots. Check the nuts at the end castings too.

If any of those items change the idle speed, you will need to reset all the basics at the carb.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Speedbird73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug dies while downshifting --timing weird Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I was starting to think that it was the points...But, I am back at college for two weeks, so I won't be able to work on the bug until spring break. Looking at putting dual carbs (Dual Empi 34 pict 3's) on there, along with a new distributor, the 009 on there now is in rough shape. I am thinking of going vaccum advance with electronic ignition...

What do you guys think about my timing issue, as that has me baffled.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug dies while downshifting --timing weird Reply with quote

Speedbird73 wrote:

What do you guys think about my timing issue, as that has me baffled.

I think Ashman answered you above. Check your point before you do anything else.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: