Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tail light holes
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Tail light holes Reply with quote

Do you guys know if the tail light holes for a '57 are smaller or the same size as the '58 hole?
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail light holes Reply with quote

same size
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Coondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light holes Reply with quote

Thanks Ragtop! I'm currently restoring a '58 PGSG. Unfortunately my pristine decklid was stolen. So, I'm committing a terrible VW sin. I'm going to use a third brake light decklid I've had in storage. As a result of that I'll go ahead and use some old bubble tail lights I've had for some time. Makes me feel a little bit better knowing my bus was built in October'57, lol. I might go all the way and drill holes for the reflectors
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light holes Reply with quote

that is a good sin to commit. That extra brake light might one day save your ass

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light holes Reply with quote

I guess if you're using 58 wiring it could be a third brake light but you'll have to run a new wire so it doesn't flash with one of the turn signals.

With bubble tail lights it is your only brake light.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail light holes Reply with quote

'58 body metal has a screw hole above & below.
I'm not sure if '57 does... do you know if you'll have exposed holes?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Coondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light holes Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the replies. So, I'm just a tad confused. Were the bubble tail lights originally running lights only? And yes I figured I could just run a wire from the harness to the decklid light. Might not work. Hate to have that as my only source of brake light
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail light holes Reply with quote

Bubble tail lights were just running lights and turn signals. The only brake light was in the deck lid. If your bus originally has 58 wiring for silver dollar tail lights then the brake lights will be in the turn signal wires.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail light holes Reply with quote

It would be easy enough to have three brake lights. Just run a wire direct from the master cylinder pressure switch to the deck lid.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail light holes Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
It would be easy enough to have three brake lights. Just run a wire direct from the master cylinder pressure switch to the deck lid.

I did this on my nov 56 panel and it works great. I did use a 6 wire turn signal switch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Coondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light holes Reply with quote

Great advice. I'll give it a go!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: