Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what??
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

Someone please tell me I don’t have to remove the generator to fix this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

•’67 Type I mostly original semi daily driver (temperature permitting 🔥☀️)
•’74 Type I work in progress.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

A new nut and a cleanup of the shaft threads with a die might make it usable. If it won't hold torque, it's time to exchange the generator for a rebuilt unit.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

The armature threads look like it's mostly just the remains of the stripped threads from the nut stuck in them, I'd say there's a pretty good chance they'll clean up just fine. Might want to try a bit less torque with the new nut.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

I used a die, and then a new nut to fix my generator shaft (can't remember now which VW I did that on).

Remember: no law says you need to stay the original size or thread either !!! Mine's not the factory thread anymore !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

The 21mm nut is toast, replace it.

As for the armature shaft, try cleaning it with a thread file. Then chase it with a die
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

So the consensus from others is that this should be an M10 thread but no one seems confident of the thread pitch.
Can anyone enlighten me so I know where to get the correct die?
....In North Phoenix???
....Cusser???
🤔

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

M12 1.50
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

I don't have access to a Type 1 parts book but the Type 3 parts book shows the generator nut as p/n 111 903 181 (111 prefix indicates part originally a Type 1 part) and some google-fu shows that as an M12 nut with thread pitch 1.5.

I can't vouch for any of that. Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

Jrm1080 wrote:
So the consensus from others is that this should be an M10 thread but no one seems confident of the thread pitch.

The following diagram shows the stock thread for the generator pulley threads for Type 1 VWs to be 12mm x 1.5mm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jrm1080 wrote:
Can anyone enlighten me so I know where to get the correct die?
....In North Phoenix???
....Cusser???
🤔

I cannot remember whether it was on my 1600cc engine or my 1835cc engine which I had this issue with my generator threads, this was definitely over a decade ago.

OK, here's what I know:Sunday/Monday I was up near Prescott, R&R'd the engine of my 1970. Its generator nut took a 19mm socket, but I don't know its thread or pitch. It tightened fine, I don't have an issue with it.

Right now I'm back in north Phoenix. My 1971 with 1835cc engine also takes a 19mm socket for its generator nut. For you, I just went out and removed it, THIS ONE is a 12mm x 1.5mm thread but definitely NOT 10mm for the 12 volt generators !!!

OK, that said: I am in North Phoenix and I do have 12mm x 1.5mm die and tap in my set. I'm near Tatum and Greenway, and I plan to be in the valley Wed. but cannot "promise" I'll be here for all of Thurs.-Sat. So if you want me to help and bring over my tap/die etc., PM me here with your E-mail address.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

you can measure the pitch with a ruler, or caliper. pitch is expressed in mm for metric. simply measure peak to peak. best to measure several peaks, and divide

say 5 peaks are measured, thats 4 full pitches ( 2 peaks is one pitch) measure across the 5 peaks and say you get 6 mm. 6 mm divided by 4 pitches is 1.5 mm pitch. ypu can look up on thread tables what pitches are offered say a 1.0 mm, and a 1.5mm, select the closest fit. this way you wont come up with 1.4 as a pitch if your measurements are a bit off, you can figure the correct answer is 1.5 mm as only a 1.5 or 1.0 is offered.

for english threads the pitch is expressed as threads per inch, metric is expressed as length of one pitch

Bug On, Metricly, its German after all,

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

This is Awesome. Thanks everyone. I found what I’m looking for.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

Using a thread chaser instead of a threading die is much better. Chaser will reshape the threads. The die will cut the threads and if off set will cut the threads thinner, causing the nut to be loose/fall off.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

Russ - I have responded to your PM.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Using a thread chaser instead of a threading die is much better. Chaser will reshape the threads. The die will cut the threads and if off set will cut the threads thinner, causing the nut to be loose/fall off.

Agree that IF one actually had a 12mm x 1.5mm "thread chaser die" that would be best, but those things are not like readily available, not sure I've ever seen one (just thread chaser taps, usually for spark plugs). This might be one, from Snap-On https://store.snapon.com/Rethreading-Tap-and-Die-S...51936.aspx

That said: I think the 12mm x 1.5mm would do fine if threaded on correctly into the existing threads. Of course any shards of the old nut (if any) would need to be removed from the shaft threads with a pick, and using lube/thread cutting fluid the die would get turned clockwise then counterclockwise as needed.

Sometimes even a stainless steel or hardened nut can be used similarly to clean up slightly damaged threads.

The plan is to avoid generator replacement cost and R&R to salvage what he has.

I'm not a butcher, don't want to cut to 7/16-inch threads !!!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

Here is a kit for less than $15.00 that has that size.

https://www.amazon.com/METRIC-THREAD-CHASER-RETHRE...ser+metric

A single tap will cost as much.. With the chaser kit one has many more possible tools to fix the next messed up thread.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Here is a kit for less than $15.00 that has that size.

https://www.amazon.com/METRIC-THREAD-CHASER-RETHRE...ser+metric

A single tap will cost as much.. With the chaser kit one has many more possible tools to fix the next messed up thread.

I like that kit myself, I always like to get new tools. So I think I'll order such kit for myself; in the past I've always just used my tap & die set for this, and think that I've only cut "new" threads once (to make a bolt full length for my Frontier).

I'll leave it up to original poster Russ if he wants to get a set of those and try it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

That said: I think the 12mm x 1.5mm die would do fine if threaded on correctly into the existing threads. Of course any shards of the old nut (if any) would need to be removed from the shaft threads with a pick, and using lube/thread cutting fluid the die would get turned clockwise then counterclockwise as needed.

I went to Russ' house this morning, and in less than 10 minutes we had used my 12mm x 1.5mm die to repair his 1967's generator threads. Was straightforward, no issues; his new 12mm x 1.5mm nut screwed on readily.
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

That said: I think the 12mm x 1.5mm die would do fine if threaded on correctly into the existing threads. Of course any shards of the old nut (if any) would need to be removed from the shaft threads with a pick, and using lube/thread cutting fluid the die would get turned clockwise then counterclockwise as needed.

I went to Russ' house this morning, and in less than 10 minutes we had used my 12mm x 1.5mm die to repair his 1967's generator threads. Was straightforward, no issues; his new 12mm x 1.5mm nut screwed on readily.

Thanks again Cusser.

Russ.

fly2kads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Where is that "like" button?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Generator Shaft and Nut. Now what?? Reply with quote

fly2kads wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Where is that "like" button?

Wrong Social Media, Fly. Lol!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: