Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Beetle - dual port and transaxle swap ???
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Anderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: 1959 Beetle - dual port and transaxle swap ??? Reply with quote

I am a newbe and tried to do a search but didn't come up with anything comprehensive. I would like to replace the original 36 horse engine and transaxle with a more powerful dual port engine and freeway flier transaxle, if possible. I understand there are a lot of considerations like the mounting points of the transmission and length of the axles, etc. Is there a kit available that makes it a bolt-on conversion or can somebody tell me exactly what I need and where to get it? I am in the Bay area California. Thanks.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle - dual port and transaxle swap ??? Reply with quote

Here's a start. Install this transmission nose cone onto the later trans you intend to use. Appears to be a straight bolt-on conversion to use your '59's front trans mount. You'll also need the "hockey stick" shift link that goes inside that nose cone, as listed in the description:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Transmission-Nose-Cone-211-301-205H-p/211-301-205h.htm

The '67 and '68 transmissions which are still swingaxle would be the basis for your desired transmission. Originally those had 4.12:1 final drive ratio. If you want lower engine rpms at highway speeds, you can order such a replacement/rebuilt swingaxle trans with the later 3.88:1 factory final drive ratio. You could buy just the transmission and reuse your '59 axles which have the narrow track. The '67/'68 transmissions originally had the wider axles. If you install a '67 transAXLE into your '59, your rear wheels will come closer to the edge of the fenderwells. This makes for a slightly more stable cornering behavior if you drive the car hard in turns, but the wider rear track is noticeable to a practiced VW hobbyist from 50' away.

If you go for the complete transaxle with the longer, '67 style axles, you'll also need longer emergency brake cables for a '67.

Once you have the transmission installed and ready for the engine, you'll need to take the dual-port's heater boxes off prior to installing the engine. The engine will not slide forward with the HB on because the tops of the HB will hit the bottom of the firewall. Install the HB after the engine is in place. A few years later VW changed the shape of the bottom edge of the firewall so that the HB clear it when already installed on the engine.

You'll also need to deal with the '59 body being originally 6V and the DP engine being 12V, unless your 36hp engine and the body have already been converted to 12V by a PO.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle - dual port and transaxle swap ??? Reply with quote

This is the one i purchased for my 56 rag top, it came with the gasket, bushing and hockey stick already drilled.
Dave
http://ranchotransaxles.com/shop/type-2-nose-cone/

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick Anderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle - dual port and transaxle swap ??? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I will probably have Rancho build the transmission for me so I can have them incorporate their nose cone and hockey stick link along with the 3:88 final drive that Rome recommended. My girlfriend lives in Orange which is right around the corner from Fullerton so I can pick it up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: