Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van prices go up and up.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

I have a 1985 I got 2 years back for $11,000. I had it looked at and told by a shop they would pay $12,000 last year and now $14,000-$15,000 for it this year. I said no thanks we love her but was in some shock.

How have they gone up so much in a year or 2?

Is it the hype of the NEW vans making the old more wanted?

I see 4-5 all over the USA right now for $20,000 or more with no subi engine they are very,very nice vans in their defense their is one in CAlI that is really something else and thinking or selling my house for it haha, but most have stock 1.9L or 2.1L or rebuilts in them.

What is the limit yall think in another 5-10years we will see $30,000 stock very nice vans for sale.

Sorry for the rant just blows my mind and makes me happy in my investment and buy.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

They ain't making any more....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

#vanlife
#millenialwanderer
#festivalhangover
#cutechickwithvaninthewoods
/marketing

and there is still NOTHING quite like them. sure there are Sprinters and Transits but those lose the cultural vibe with their newness
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
#vanlife
#millenialwanderer
#festivalhangover
/marketing

and there is still NOTHING quite like them. sure there are Sprinters and Transits but those lose the cultural vibe with their newness

My PO got a sprinter for more room and now wants another van but prices have jumped.

Think I will leave mine to my son who is 3 now.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

I think part of it, as far as westies go, is that the sprinter camper market is horribly expensive. A rising tide lifts all boats. The price of sprinters makes a $25,000 westy seem down right reasonable....

The Western Syncro build
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I think part of it, as far as westies go, is that the sprinter camper market is horribly expensive. A rising tide lifts all boats. The price of sprinters makes a $25,000 westy seem down right reasonable....

You are right cause we looked at them first and my wife said I know a guy selling his vw van. Ok lets look 2 days later not even paid for yet and it was parked in the driveway. From day 1 I was in love like a child kinda love. Now the 3 year old say he LOVES Maple and never wants to see her go.

I guess it's the appeal but I know people who grew up in them and HATE them like my parents but my grand ma loves that I have one to must skip a gen or so.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

andrew163980 wrote:
dobryan wrote:

You are right cause we looked at them first and my wife said I know a guy selling his vw van. Ok lets look 2 days later not even paid for yet and it was parked in the driveway. From day 1 I was in love like a child kinda love. Now the 3 year old say he LOVES Maple and never wants to see her go.

I guess it's the appeal but I know people who grew up in them and HATE them like my parents but my grand ma loves that I have one to must skip a gen or so.

I grew up in one and have had one ever since. Going on 40 years as an adult (in age) with one....

The Western Syncro build
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

There's a $45k syncro hi-top in Bend that looks like reasonable money compared to what's in this thread.... Check CraigsList.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

Then there are some whose mods exceed the original value. Not sayin' that's wrong.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/expedition-ready-vw-syncro/6490348842.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

I'm laughing, because I'll have about that total in my 2003 Sprinter 4x4 project, totally finished full camper with everything one could want. Cool
You can't compare old Vanagons vs new Sprinters, cost-wise. Old-old would be a better comparo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

It's entirely false equivalence to compare the T3 (or the entire T-series) with the Sprinter or LT/Crafter class of vehicles. It's true there's a Venn diagram of crossover between the owners and their shared interests, but the vehicles and their respective capabilities/limitations aren't directly comparable.

The T3 valuation curve over time is pretty unusual for most vehicles on the market, in that it's an inverted bell curve. But the truly unusual part is that those valuation markers are typically associated with restored or low mileage collector vehicles which rarely see road use. T3s with this valuation marker are purposely intended to be used frequently if not as daily drivers. I'm assuming this type of valuation behavior is only found amongst "lifestyle" vehicles like the Jeep, Land Rover, early Bronco, etc.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

I'd be much more curious of sold prices. I think knowing those would provide a little more balance as to current market prices. But no doubt; they've shot up in price in last while.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
#vanlife
#millenialwanderer
#festivalhangover
/marketing

How could you not want one... especially with those hashtags! Born in '95 here and the numerous peace signs from the ladies ranging in age from 20-> 75 years old, I LOVE THEM ALL.

And they're a dying breed from accidents to fires... fewer and fewer
nepawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
dobryan wrote:

I'm laughing, because I'll have about that total in my 2003 Sprinter 4x4 project, totally finished full camper with everything one could want. Cool
You can't compare old Vanagons vs new Sprinters, cost-wise. Old-old would be a better comparo.

It must have been costly to add four wheel drive to the Sprinter. I thought they just started producing them with 4wd?

Because of all the exhaust aftertreatment equipment new sprinters are going to be sidelined. Gasoline vans are going to be what people want to drive.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
I'm laughing, because I'll have about that total in my 2003 Sprinter 4x4 project, totally finished full camper with everything one could want.

Sounds like a good rig; can you post pics so we can see what 'everything one could want' looks like in a Sprinter? At past 70, I sometimes dream of a little more cubic footage.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

Hey riceye: Nice synchro you linked us to, but looks to me like it's got no air conditioner. For that close to six figures, that's not good. If anyone missed it:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/expedition-ready-vw-syncro/6490348842.html
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

On the other hand, on the "Westys for Sale" website today, in the Craigslist section, I see three Vanagon Westys asking under $5000. Two don't look bad at all, even the other, at only $2000, is way underpriced. You just have to be ready to go to get it, spend a little time getting a few things sorted out, and drive gently home. There are 2 or 3 others under ten grand as well. Happy hunting!
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

nepawesty wrote:

It must have been costly to add four wheel drive to the Sprinter. I thought they just started producing them with 4wd?

The T1N sprinters (2002-2006) were available the world over with 4wd, just not in the USA. There are several people who have put the euro 4wd drivetrain under T1N Sprinters, but not too many details online about the swaps. The NCV3 has been available with 4wd since 2015, and the NCV3 was available with a 4 cylinder engine that was great on fuel, but to get the 4wd you had to get the V6 which uses a lot more fuel than a T1N or the 4 banger NCV3.

As Westyventures posted, the older sprinters can be bought and built out for similar prices to a vanagon westy. Yea, there are plenty of $100,000+ sprinters out there, but there are plenty of DIY T1N $20,000-30,000 sprinters that are very functional as well.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:

Quote:
While not a true frame-off restoration

I hear those are pretty hard to do on a Vanagon.

I'd be interested to know what that van weighs, I'd wager it's past GVWR when it is empty.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Van prices go up and up. Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:

Sounds like a good rig; can you post pics so we can see what 'everything one could want' looks like in a Sprinter? At past 70, I sometimes dream of a little more cubic footage.

Due to being overwhelmed with the business (about to change!) I've not gotten very far in building the van, just collecting all of the parts and dreaming about finishing one day soon. It has sound deadening, all windows and skylights in, just waiting for time...but it will have: selectable 2WD/4WD, locking high/low fulltime true 4x4 (not 35/65 split with brakes as traction control like the new ones), 5-speed manual transmission. Heated floor, hot water, shower with cassette toilet, fulltime fullsize rear bed, foldout front single bed, diesel-fired furnace, hot water, and stovetop, lots of storage, 40 gallons of water onboard, 500Ah battery bank, 2500w sine inverter/100A charger, 3-stage water filtration, 512W of solar with 4-way tilt, 85-liter compressor fridge. Probably a couple other things I'm forgetting...but budget (not counting my hours) is still below 15K including what I paid for the van. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: