Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Get Barb and Elwood back on the road!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

Ten and a half years ago, Barb and her lovingly faithful bus Elwood (Elwood-Bluesvan on here) took a trip to the Arctic Circle by themselves when twenty or so other bay window forum regulars bailed on the trip.

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2168

Since 2007, Barb has relied on her '69 bus just like back in the seventies when she was on the center-folds of "Dune Buggies and Hot VWs Magazine with Bruce Meyers and all the vintage VW legends.

Last summer I made a trip up with Colin and installed a new starter, clutch cable, and a few other bits and pieces to get her back on the road.

Next Saturday, Brian and I are helping Barb get the car prepped for two seasons of driving. Sunday morning is the Pomona swap meet, and we'll be selling off Barb's surplus parts stash to help her out financially. Sunday night we'll be back at Barb's bus to finish the job with any parts deemed necessary.

I am asking this forum, as a group of VW enthusiasts who are following in Barb's footsteps from the '60s and '70s, to consider donating $5 or so to her bus fund now that health and life have taken a toll on a veteran Samba member.

PM me as needed; I'll be updating this thread with our progress as we wrench.

Robbie and Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Done, text me info. Won’t be much. But more then 5 F’ing dollars. Looking forward to the updates. Good on you guys. I might even put more $ in the fund for you two being cool millennials. Back in my day we just walked elders across the street Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Robbie,
What's the donation process?
I assume it is not just 'Mail a shoe box full of cash to Robbie and Brian".
How could that go wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

We don't think Elwood (the bus) needs too much in terms of parts, and Brian and I will be donating the labor.

Right now, I think just PayPal at my address: asiab3[at]mac.com since I've already made one order. Surplus funds will be used to fill her gas tank.

I would like this visit to atone for my past sins in abandoning Anna's bus in Utah.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

is this the bus that hauls chickens around the small farm? I thought from the last thread she didn't have a license to drive on the street anymore?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
is this the bus that hauls chickens around the small farm? I thought from the last thread she didn't have a license to drive on the street anymore?

Ha! There were no signs of chickens when I was there in July… Another thread perhaps?

Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Ha! There were no signs of chickens when I was there in July… Another thread perhaps?

Robbie

might be. I was thinking there was one thread where someone used an old bus to haul produce and chickens to the market, and a go fund me was set up to get it back on the road and deal with all the issues.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I was thinking there was one thread where someone used an old bus to haul produce and chickens to the market, and a go fund me was set up to get it back on the road and deal with all the issues.

Yes, that was Anna’s bus in Utah that I terribly neglected when I was driving through the area and was too afraid to shut my engine off after the Colorado Rebuild.

Robbie
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

PayPal sent. But it will cost you 1 hour video consultation on how to remove snow from a 72 bus. I’ve figured out how on the 76. But I’m thinking it’s a one year only process for the 72. All I could find was the procedure for 68-71 Laughing If this snow keeps up I have no idea what I’m going to do

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Just sent a giant shipment of thoughts and prayers. Might take a day or two to turn up.
Good luck.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
PayPal sent. But it will cost you 1 hour video consultation on how to remove snow from a 72 bus. I’ve figured out how on the 76. But I’m thinking it’s a one year only process for the 72. All I could find was the procedure for 68-71 Laughing If this snow keeps up I have no idea what I’m going to do

Xevin - that is some serious snowfall. How will you ever get that bus out of there? Maybe wait until spring and when the snow thaws?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
PayPal sent. But it will cost you 1 hour video consultation on how to remove snow from a 72 bus.

Yea, '72 is very different from the one year only parts. I'll make sure we do a video including all the snow that we get down here Cool of course, there will be plenty of beers drank beforehand.

Any help is appreciated for helping Barb out. If you send thoughts and prayers, just make sure you get the correct stamps from the post office.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Xevin wrote:
PayPal sent. But it will cost you 1 hour video consultation on how to remove snow from a 72 bus.

Yea, '72 is very different from the one year only parts. I'll make sure we do a video including all the snow that we get down here Cool of course, there will be plenty of beers drank beforehand.

Any help is appreciated for helping Barb out. If you send thoughts and prayers, just make sure you get the correct stamps from the post office.

Maybe you could simulate with Sand? Steve’s right I’m in dire straights here Laughing The snow keeps coming and I’m about to melt down.

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Here you go, this will do it: https://www.boringcompany.com/not-a-flamethrower/

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Here you go, this will do it: https://www.boringcompany.com/not-a-flamethrower/

That didn’t work out so well last time on the 76. So I’m hesitant to use that cheap Chinese junk on the 72 Wink

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

I’m late to the party. Brian, call or text me if I can help. Robbie, eat shit.

Just kidding Robbie. If you guys need something just let me know.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Just sent a giant shipment of thoughts and prayers. Might take a day or two to turn up.
Good luck.

spit the captain morgan right outta my nose....

that is funny shit....well played!

don't have much to offer, but if you need a part or piece I have no use for let me know.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like this visit to atone for my past sins in abandoning Anna's bus in Utah.
Robbie

As the one who dealt with Anna's bus I'm glad you remember your sins! I'll throw you a bone for your cause even though you drove three blocks from my house and Anna's bus without stopping.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Thanks Gary, I'll let you know if anything pops up along the way. Shouldn't really be too much that we need. It's a T1 dual port, so everything should be tuned by ear or by throwing chicken bones on the ground.

Skills, we could always use a few more thoughts and prayers.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Now what the hell am I going to do. What kind of broom do I use? Do I start at the bottom or top? Front or back? Should I do the 72 first or practice on the 76? I’m just so confused. Laughing

Nice to see people offering a hand to Barb and Elwood

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: