Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ethanol-Free or Premium?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

For what it's worth....

I have 87mm cylinders which puts me around 8 to 1 CR. I've used ethanol and ethanol-free gas.

I burn 10% ethanol mid-grade (89 octane) most of the time. I'll burn 10% ethanol premium (92 octane) when I'm on long trips ladened; sustaining highway speeds all day, under all conditions.

I seem to detect a little detonation when using ethanol regular (87 octane) when I push it. I haven't noticed any significant difference between 100% gas or the gas with 10% ethanol, in performance.

On long trips I may 'blend'. For example, the first tank in the morning I may use mid-grade if I'm expecting to see lighter conditions. If the weather and road conditions alter or toughen, the second tank will be premium. And vice versa.
marty1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

its not IF you are going to have a problem with ethanol its WHEN are you going to have a problem with ethanol. It is frustrating- talk to 10 people- 5 will say " i run ethanol in all my stuff for years and years. never a problem" We have 8 cars in my collection and was having a bitch of a time keeping them running about 6-7 years ago. Switched to strictly no-E and ALL problems went away as far as a no start or gummy fuel pump or carb. Additives will not work. I did a lot of research on how to combat E and the best thing is to NOT use it in the first place.

I tried to come up with a "drain" in the fuel line ( kind of like a fuel pump in an old Ford with the glass bowl) to capture the water as a vehicle had sat. I was close but never did get that final idea.

I am fortunate that in upstate NY no-E is fairly common now.
1952 Ford Mainline
1960 VW Dune Buggy (frame is a 1966- motor is 1970)
1966 Ford Wagon Country Sedan
1966 IH Tow Truck
1978 Jeep CJ7 V8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

Find a local business that works on small engines, like lawn mowers, and talk face to face with the mechanics and ask them for their opinions of and experiences with ethanol.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

If you can get by with the octane of the non-ethanol gas, run it. Local non-ethanol fuel isn't convienient, or high enough octane, and runs about $.75-$1.00 more a gallon for me. With the exception of running proper ethanol rated hose, customers of two local engine builders have erased any other issues associated with ethanol with either of these two products.

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/safeguard-ethanol-fuel-conditioner-with-stabilizers

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/http-www-driven...rgenthtml/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

marty1835 wrote:
its not IF you are going to have a problem with ethanol its WHEN are you going to have a problem with ethanol. ...

Well, I'm still waiting for the problems to occur. 5 vehicles, 3 mowers. Only been using ethanol fuel about 35 years. I must be doing something wrong?

Or maybe I just haven't been using it long enough. I suppose fuel problems are coming my way ... any day now ... I can feel it. Rolling Eyes

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

has anyone tried the kits to remove ethanol such as ethanil (http://www.ethanil.co.uk/) - do they work, especially for overwintering? as far as I know we don't have ethanol-free option in the UK.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

You get better mileage with non ethanol gas, so if I had a choice I would know what my decision would be.

Unfortunately, I live in crap CA where the gov decides what you must run and the non ethanol stations are few and far in between
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

Just saw this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtCJS70sEf0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
marty1835 wrote:
its not IF you are going to have a problem with ethanol its WHEN are you going to have a problem with ethanol. ...

Well, I'm still waiting for the problems to occur. 5 vehicles, 3 mowers. Only been using ethanol fuel about 35 years. I must be doing something wrong?

Or maybe I just haven't been using it long enough. I suppose fuel problems are coming my way ... any day now ... I can feel it. Rolling Eyes

I got tired of having to take my riding mower, pressure washer, and weed eater every spring to have the carbs rebuilt and lines replaced. Switched to all no-E and haven't had a problem in years. It also ate the fuel pump diaphragm up in my 62 vw mechanical fuel pump.

The humidity in FL exacerbates the issue. My lawn equipment sits all winter and my cars sit a lot in summer. I put an inline cut-off switch on my mower to effectively run the carb out of gas. Perhaps I should do the same on my bugs for summer storage.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

Regular use of a fuel dryer can help. It may seem counter intuitive to add a dryer, which is alcohol to fix the problem of water build up in fuel system by adding more alcohol. But the dryer is dewetted, a dried alcohol, which will suck up water that has fallen out of solution and settled in low spots. Once installed, drive the car so the water absorbed by the dryer alcohol is sent thru the engine.

This will not help with long term storage much, as over time the fuel dryer itself can pull water out of the air. but it can remove water that has built up from use of alcohol laden fuels. the alcohol fuels usually are full of water already when you buy the fuel, and continue to collect more in you tank, once saturated to a certain amount, the water laden alcohol drops out to the bottom of the tank, carb bowl, etc.. and corrosion happens rapidly.

for long term storage, if you can, fill tank with real gasoline, after running a dryer thru the prior tank full.

Good Luck, Bug On With Real Fuel!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
marty1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

Q-Dog!!! there it is- the " been using it forever--no troubles" I agree with you and am glad it has worked out! I cannot explain why some guys have zero issues while others ( like myself) had fuel pumps/lines/carbs/anything rubber just melt away.

Over the course of about 2 years I must have had 5-6 no starts because of rubber parts breaking down. Went strictly no-E ( $0.25 a gal more) and no more issues.

I am not looking for performance or to save a couple dollars. I just want stuff to start when I turn the key.

Thanks!
1952 Ford Mainline
1966 IH Tow Truck
1978 Jeep CJ7 V8
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

Of course, we don't have humidity in South Louisiana. Rolling Eyes

I must have screwed something up ... My riding mower ran great for 2 hours on Monday after sitting since, I think maybe it was November? Started on the first crank. No engine problems on this engine, but I have replaced the rotted out deck, and some belts a few times, and some pulleys too. I can't explain it either. Sorry, I tried, but I can't blame the ethanol.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

I'd echo what a lot of other folks have relayed so far on this post -- main 2 points being:

1) I think that the "normal" unleaded gasoline sold at most US stations nowadays (i.e. w/ 10% ethanol content - or "E10"?) is generally ok in modern cars and other gasoline engines, if it is used up / changed out frequently. Letting it sit for long periods, however (e.g. winter storage, or similar) often seems to lead to problems w/ "gummed-up" carburetors / fuel systems, etc. Also can damage / cause problems with rubber components not formulated for use with alcohol mix fuels.

2) The 10% ethanol + 90% gasoline mix ("normal" unleaded) generally gets worse mileage than pure gasoline (due to ethanol having inherently lower energy content per unit volume, as compared to gasoline). The increase in mileage from using the 100% pure gasoline, however, still doesn't completely cover for its significantly higher cost (as compared to normal unleaded "E10" -- in my experience, anyway).

That said, nowadays I try to use the 100% pure gasoline ("ethanol free") in my VW, plus lawn care / chain saw / generator / etc. engines, but generally use the "normal" unleaded ("E10") in our modern, frequently driven cars.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

No ethanol in any of internal combustion engines at my place...$3.15 yesterday at the pumps here in upstate NY...our stuff here is 91 octane too...does not even smell like the other gasoline they sell...

my 2 cents...

MikeC
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

Sound like some haven’t got the connection yet that different blends in different areas of the country produce different results. To make a blanket statement I’ve done it this way for years no problem is anecdotal to one region. Hardly ever mentioned is the condition known as phase separation, google that term. The real answer is find out what works in your region by networking with other users. Best of luck Very Happy
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
To make a blanket statement I’ve done it this way for years no problem is anecdotal to one region.

True, but making blanket statements to the effect that one will have problems is likewise anecdotal. I fully agree the best way forward is to find out what the situation is like and how to deal with it as needed for your area.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
marty1835 wrote:

The only issue I ever had was when the Viton tip of a genuine Weber float needle came loose. The tip stayed within the seat, but that carb started flooding. This wasn't after storage, it was halfway through the Summer of about 7500 miles of yearly driving.

I know some complain Stabil separates, and does nothing, but I've had good results with it for Winter storage of a few months at a time. Run the tank down to 3/4 with Stabil in the fuel, run the carbs dry when parking, and top the tank off with fresh gas first run out.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
To make a blanket statement I’ve done it this way for years no problem is anecdotal to one region.

True, but making blanket statements to the effect that one will have problems is likewise anecdotal. I fully agree the best way forward is to find out what the situation is like and how to deal with it as needed for your area.

I am thinking is best if you can to avoid the stuff and thus never have any alcohol related failures, rather than to use the stuff and find out that the situation results in failure(s), damage.

Many good reasons to stock with what is known to work than test out something that can possibly cause lots of damage, that is if you have a choice. Some of us have no choice, and some of that group have had failures and damage. Thank the farm lobby and politicians wanting a green lable, for that.

Bug On, I dont drive while consuming alcohol, nor should my car!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
marty1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

Bluebus- thats a very good statement. What can you do if you are in a region that does not readily offer no-E? Storage is the issue. No-E starts to separate after as little as 6 weeks. If we are talking Bugs its pretty easy to suck out most of the fuel and run the carbs dry.

I think the best thing to do for storage is Stabil with a full tank and have a shut off near the tank to run the line,fuel pump and carb dry.
1952 Ford Mainline
1966 IH Tow Truck
1978 Jeep CJ7 V8
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-Free or Premium? Reply with quote

marty1835 wrote:
Bluebus- thats a very good statement. What can you do if you are in a region that does not readily offer no-E? Storage is the issue. No-E starts to separate after as little as 6 weeks. If we are talking Bugs its pretty easy to suck out most of the fuel and run the carbs dry.

I think the best thing to do for storage is Stabil with a full tank and have a shut off near the tank to run the line,fuel pump and carb dry.

I agree with everything bluebus said too, it’s too bad that crap is forced on people they should have a choice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: