Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

It's about time that I started a project thread after scattering questions around here for years. I will try to keep my explanations short and include lots of photos.

My grandparents bought this bus from its original owner in 1979. There is a story floating around in my family that the original owners brought it over from Germany. I'm pretty sure that's not true. I will post an M-plate pick at some point. My mother sometimes tells people that they drove this bus to Woodstock. They did go to Woodstock, but obviously not in this bus. They wanted to catch some of the country and folk acts but cleared out as it started to get rainy, muddy and carnal. They were squares, square dancers actually and fairly conservative. But they were fun and did road trip shit you might get killed doing today. They had planned to drive the bus to Salt Lake City to visit my aunt, but my grandfather was diagnosed with bladder cancer and died before the year ended. My grandmother kept the bus and drove it occasionally until she totalled her Plymouth Duster in the late 80's. It then became her daily driver. My grandmother worked nights as a nurses aide and drove a ten mile round trip year round with the heater boxes not really working. She was pretty tough, under 5' tall and had a club foot from having polio as a child. The inside door handle is still loose from her hauling herself up into that bus so many times. She never complained about it, wasn't interested in another car and wouldn't part with the bus. In my late teens, I bought a scooter, a PGO 150. It was a knock off of a VESPA PX150. It would do about 60 mph and I scared the hell out of my entire family taking it on long road trips. While driving in downtown Toronto, a cross shaped piece in the gearbox disintegrated locking the back wheel and sending me into a surprise skid. I mananged to stay upright, but that was the end of the scooter. I began saving for a real bike. When I was just about buy one, my family intervened with an offer I couldn't refuse. My grandmother would give me the van and my mom would take my bike money to put towards a K-car for my grandmother. So in 1990, I took posession of the bus and drove it from Poughkeepsie New York back to school in Toronto. I will try to keep the rest of the story short and include a few pictures.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Goofing around with my sister and a good friend, Toronto 1990

First road trip, Winship's hill, Fairlee VT, early 90's. The spare tire mount and ugly mirrors are long gone.

Return trip from 3-Pistoles, Quebec to Toronto

Flaming Gorge, Wyoming on the way to San Francisco, 1996. Looked good, but brazed in patches under bondo sculpted panels.

Last summer in Old Orchard, Maine. Looks awful, but no more bondo...

Now that I finally got this project thread started, I will try to get it up to date with how things are going with it now.
Marleybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Great write up. What school did you go to in Toronto?
1981 Vanagon Westfalia (Sold)
1969 VW Beetle Convertible (Wifes)
1977 VW Westy 2.0L FI Chrome Yellow
1978 VW Westy 2.0L FI (Under Restoration)
1973 VW Westy 1.7L Tourist Delivery Orange
Check out my thread!!http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Upper Canada College, grades 10-13, then U of T, 89-92.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

In the summer of 1996 I drove to San Francisco from Northern New Hampshire. I had recently replaced the original engine with a crate engine from a company called ECI. I had driven it a couple thousand miles and had it checked out by an old school be mechanic before leaving. We were doing ok until somewhere around Omaha when it started running rough and losing power. We had the valves adjusted in Omaha but the engine continued to lose power and run like crap. When we got to San Francisco it was Bailey moving. We took it to a VW Audi Porsche mechanic who told us the engine had zero compression on one cylinder and was at 50% on another and that our engine was a slappped together pile of shit parts. The garage told us that they were going to order a factory authorized rebuild from a company in Holland. What we got instead was a GEX “premium rebuilt” engine. We knew of the GEX reputation but we were completely stuck. We drove home with no issues and I ended putting 45,000 miles on it until I tore it down in 2013.

One of my friends on the trip insisted on taking one of these photos every time we crossed a state line.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Rebuilding the GEX engine wasn't absolutely necessary. I drove my bus fairly often until starting a family in 2004. 45, 000 miles is not a lot of mileage over an 18 year time span, but they were mostly trouble free miles. I had kept up with the maintenance during that time.

I pulled the engine to replace a dead fuel sender but also because of a lot of small problems piling up, years of half-assed repairs, carbs leaking gas into the oil, old hoses, aftermarket band-aid fixes. The GEX engine always had lowish compression in the #1 cylinder, like 95, when the rest were 110. Getting 45,000 miles out of one is like winning the lottery. I wanted to build a better engine, know what was in it and feel like I could rely on it. One night my neighbor was over for beers, the engine was on the bench, an impact wrench was in arms reach...

The GEX engine was really unremarkable; bearings were ok. An odd rod with a different balance pad, the usual Type 4 cam lobe wear starting. I had a local machinist do the heads, hone the cylunders, polish the crank. I replaced all the bearings and put in a WEBcam (stock grind). I had broken an ear off the stock oil pump trying to pull it (before the night of drunken disassembly) and it would not build pressure. The welded on ear quickly broke off, as well as the other one. The pump had always been tight. We took it out in pieces.

The pump probably would have worked if I had not packed it with Vaseline as per the Wilson book, yes he does say packed. I packed it like a CV joint.

I replaced it with a sucky CB performance pump. I got a summer out of this engine, then one day a terrible noise...

This little bit of metal had found it's way into the number 3 cylinder and had beat up the piston top and combustion chamber. I think it might have been a piece of a small screwdriver used for glasses...which was on my keychain...which had been next to the engine hatch...when I was adjusting the carb.

I took the head back to the machinist and he replaced the valves and cleaned up the combustion chamber with a die grinder. He said he was not equipped to do fly cutting. My new pistons and cylinders wouldn't fit. The sleeves were thicker even though the pistons were the same size. Looking at them more closely I saw that he had ground the ends of she valve stems so they were level with each other, probably to compensate for sinking seats. There was a crack in the spark plug boss I had never noticed before. Compression on the number one cylinder was lower than before, probably because the head was warped and the original head gaskets made it seal better. I had lapped the cylinders to the heads, but lapping won't cure a warped head.

I really wanted to give up. I realized that I was...a butcher. And a really sloppy one at that. And that the local machinist...sucked. And seemed to put VW engines in the same category as riding lawn mowers. Even GEX would not have hired me...
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Even GEX would not have hired me...

Laughing

My 1968 Campmobile
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

I love the pics, and subject matter. I thought I had seen your pics before, and realized you posted them in Feb, and now an update in Nov. Don't make us wait until aug for your next post! Wink
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

This is getting good! I’m already forming some opinions... of course.

More, please!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
This is getting good! I’m already forming some opinions... of course.

More, please!

When I tried to replace my oil pump, I realized that I was still living in the 90's. But who could blame me?

Back then you could get a new stock oil pump. And engines came in crates with a fresh silver paint job. Back then, there was no internet full of people telling me that removing an oil pump with a sledge hammer was bad.

My bus was really shiny and serving its intended purpose. The 90's have been over for a really long time...

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

I never really knew for sure where the metal debris in my engine came from. I ended up completely disassembling my engine to check for more debris and possible damage. I also thought it would be a good idea to check and recheck all my measurements as I reassembled. Everything looked fine. I kept everything obsessively clean and organized. I kept a notebook as I went and wrote down the steps I needed to do and checked things off as I completed them. As a new engine builder, I found measuring hard and would have to measure things a number of times before I felt confident I had measured correctly. As discouraged as I was with how my first engine build went, I was glad that I had not spent any serious money or ruined any good parts. My new AA pistons wouldn't fit my heads without flycutting. I considered the cost of having them flycut, the time I would spend driving them around to farflung machine shops or shipping them somewhere. Not to mention the potential time I would have to spend replacing them if they failed. And they would still be shitty heads.

I decided to get Blueprint specials from Len Hoffman. All my past engine failures had been due to head failures; burnt valves during long highway drives. Nothing spectacular, just that slow death as an engine lost power. Len was really helpful in explaining his work and with cam recommendations. He answers his phone and is straightforward and unassuming. He answered my handwringing, obvious questions without making me feel stupid for asking him.

The heads themselves are works of art. They made me realize what complete turds my old heads were. I don't mind spending good money. Good money often solves a problem and ends up being much less than bad money in the long run. I also installed a Webcam 73.

One of Len's heads with way too much Coppercoat. I torqued them and removed them to check the seal with the cylinders. Cleaned them and applied a more reasonable amount of coppercoat. My old #1 cylinder had not sealed well in spite of extensive lapping on the first rebuild. I suspected a warped head but also worried about the case deck. The new heads and cylinders sealed perfectly.

I find that new engine builders become really focused on one specific measurement. It is a forest for the trees kind of thing. I was really focused on deckheight and valve geometry as I had problems adjusting a valve during my first rebuild (one adjuster had to be backed out a lot to get clearance).They were fine on this build.

I also had the rods balanced end to end and new piston pin bushings installed. I reused the 26mm CB performance pump and had to remove a little material from the drive gear shaft to make it fit.

My Empi progressive with homemade throttle linkage. I couldn't relocate my throttle cable far enough over. The linkage works well despite its looks. (More about carbs later).

My girlfriend complained of a gasoline smell in the bus. I always thought that it was just the smell of victory. I had already replaced the fuel filler tube and connected up the fuel vent lines behind the gas tank firewall. So I replaced the charcoal cannister and ran the oil breather through a small electrical junction conduit box filled with brass wool. The fuel smell went away.

I installed the engine in June of 2016 and so far have put about 4,000 miles on it including a 500 mile round trip to Maine. I have been pleased with the performance, especially with accelaration and hills. The list of things I wished I had checked and measured keeps getting longer as I learn more. I have a long list of things I would like to change on the engine which I will get to in my next post. Thanks for reading.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Nice, solid update.

What are your details for your progressive carburetor? I have a Weber DFEV on my 1700 in my '73 bus. I have made it work pretty good, but I will eventually put the dual carbs back on.
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Good job on the rebuild.- it looks fantastic!

One thing I enjoy very much is these stories and old pictures, I always secretly wish I could jump back in time to those days where our buses were much younger
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks! The progressive has been on my bus longer than anticipated. I ran Weber 34 ICT’s and was happy with them when they were still newish. I had problems with them leaking gas into the crankcase even after replacing the needle valves and floats. The progressive has been simple and reliable, though it suffers from hesitation off in idle and is limited to warmer seasons without setting up some kind if preheat. I did the power valve mod, but have not played with jetting, which I may do depending on when I am able to install the stock carbs.

I have not run stock carbs in decades. At one point, they ran well after having new kits installed. That lasted about 5 minutes after which they spit their accelerator pump jet nozzles down the carb throats for the second time since I’ve owned the bus. A few years ago I found them in a box and looking them over, realized their potential; adjustable accelerator jet pump stroke, preheat, chokes, quieter air intake with better filtration, etc. There is also a lot more good information available since I first started dicking around with them.

I had them rebuilt by Tim at Volkzbitz. Another expense that goes in the good money column; superb workmanship and attention to detail, reasonable money especially when compared with after market carb kits which often end up being a compromise anyway.

I am a little daunted at the prospect of setting these up. I am planning to do them in the course of my next engine drop which will include a lot of other back to stock improvements. Not something I want to slap on the night before leaving for a road trip.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Gee... THANKS for the porn! Tim's carb work looks GREAT!

This is how I preheat my Progressive... I just use the VW preheat ducting off Cylinder 1 and piped it into the carb intake.

I cut strip of aluminum roofing flashing to wrap around the screen, forcing a majority of the intake air to be drawn from my ductwork. The caveat is that I live in a temperate/Mediterranean climate. Have no idea how well this would work in Fargo, ND in February.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Gee... THANKS for the porn! Tim's carb work looks GREAT!

This is how I preheat my Progressive... I just use the VW preheat ducting off Cylinder 1 and piped it into the carb intake.

I cut strip of aluminum roofing flashing to wrap around the screen, forcing a majority of the intake air to be drawn from my ductwork. The caveat is that I live in a temperate/Mediterranean climate. Have no idea how well this would work in Fargo, ND in February.

That looks like a good solution. I am pretty much a May through October driver, though I may consider making more of an effort to dial in the progressive depending on how things go. Thanks for sharing.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Look up bill Fowler on the distributor. Call Tim to get in touch, how good Tim is with carbs bill is on the distributor. You will love life with a matched set.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Look up bill Fowler on the distributor. Call Tim to get in touch, how good Tim is with carbs bill is on the distributor. You will love life with a matched set.

Thanks,

That's on my list too. I have a rebuilt distributor from Bus Depot with the correct dual vacuum can, but there is no way of knowing exactly what the advance characteristics are of the distributor. It should get me closer than the Bosch 050 mechanical advance distributor that I have been running forever until I can get the correct one. My original distributor turns out not to be original according to the stack of receipts that came with it from my grandmother. I have a stack of my own too..
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

In addition to the original dual carbs and distributor, I am also planning to reinstall the stock heating system and oil pump. The heating system is not really crucial. I have a BN4 installed that works well and it is more than adequate for extending my camping season. I have a lot of spare parts and am pretty good at troubleshooting it. I'm actually curious about the stock heat and it's one of those things that just would be nice to have working. I am currently repairing a couple heater box tins as a kind of tin knocking, fiddly welding practice side project. I have 2 sets of the matching headers and will have the best ones machined flat at the flanges. I've been slowly acquiring the missing cables, flapper valves, tin, etc. I still need to find some accordion tubes or functioning substitute and blower fan.

I have a persistent oil leak that I need to track down. I will probably end up pulling the engine to inspect the front seal area. I never did anything with the oil gallery plugs as I was unaware of this potential issue until after my engine was built. I would like to at least peen the case around their edges as I doubt my ability to tap them without causing harm.

I am also planning to replace my CB performance pump with a stock pump. My oil pressure isn't what I would like it to be unless I run 20-50. The CB pump is clearly a loose fit in the case compared to the stock pump. I bought a few used stock pumps last winter and mixed and matched the best gears and pump body. I did a quick and dirty lapping of the pump body and plate to tighten it up. An automotive teacher at work made up a quick lapping plate with some high quality sand paper and shaft plate from another pump. We got it pretty tight without having to do much lapping.

My biggest fear with this job is test fitting the pump. I will have to measure the clearance with the cam gear bolts and the idler shaft boss. I know the general idea of how to do this but not the specifics. I have visions of getting it stuck in the case full of putty and not being able to get it out again. I don't know if my issues getting the pump out before were the hamhandedness of a beginner or something else. I will get back to these questions when I'm ready to do the work.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

A couple last things for my engine...

I am currently running a 2 tip monza style exhaust. I have no idea why I chose it...maybe because it looked cool...I am going back to the extractor stlye. I was going to go for the stainless steel version, but cheaped out and went for the regular version. It's not like going cheap on a cam. I get a few years out of them. I think the top end performance is a little better. Mostly it's probably the best exhaust for installing an AFR sensor. I may use it to try to dial in the progressive carb as much as possible as a sort of jetting 101 kind of learning experience.

Like many of you, I have ended up with my own parts department. I have been working on getting it organized. It makes a project a lot easier when you can put your hands on the parts you need without overturning your entire garage.

I have always enjoyed bodywork compared to mechanical work. Engine building started as a means to an end, but I find I really like that too. I would someday love to do a Subaru conversion, but for now am happy with stock performance. For many years my bus was reliable. Beyond keeping after valve adjustments, tune-ups and oil changes, I kept the engine bay clean, made sure everything was tight, fuel and vacuum lines in good condition and well secured. I plan to have the automotive teacher at the school where I work go over the steering, suspension and rear brakes over the winter. I did my front brakes a year ago.

I would also like to test out my automatic transmission. It seems to work well, but I would like to put pressure gauges on it and run through the shift points. It has about 150,000 original mile on it, so I will have to plan for it's eventual rebuild or replacement. When I got the bus in the early 90's it would surge between 2nd and 3rd gear when shifting. I changed the fluid and it went away.
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Grandma Mildred's 73 Automatic Perpetual Restoration Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

I had them rebuilt by Tim at Volkzbitz. Another expense that goes in the good money column; superb workmanship and attention to detail, reasonable money especially when compared with after market carb kits which often end up being a compromise anyway.

I had mine restored by Tim for my '73 and converted from baby webers back to the original stock setup. If you run into any snags, let me know. The biggest issues I had were getting the float to 12-14mm, and aftermarket solenoids being unreliable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: