Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWcollector1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
vwnut_98 wrote:
I just got done reading this thread, wish I could have added to it during it's heyday. Brendan and others were spot on in their diagnosis of what this bus was really. I own a couple Brazilian buses, and the pictures you took of the undercarriage is spot on to what my buses look like underneath.

Brazil never produced 21 or 23 window buses, they were all kombis and pieced together. After '67 when VW made the change to the bay window buss, many of the heavy presses and equipment were shipped to Brazil and built to '75. One thing that stands out on my buses, is that when two pieces of metal are to be seamed together, the Germans welded and hid the seams, the Brazil ones are two pieces of metal overlapping each other. You can clearly see this on the drivers side vent window frame. Underneath it is a scary scene. Seems like everything is grossly welded, cuts in the sheet metal, and some horrendous painting. Other things that stood out on my buses is the rear decklids were from 55-58, the cargo doors were barndoor and had the door handles from same era. Front noses were pressed with VW logo. I also got barn door middle seats in my bus.

My guess is that this is a full Brazilian bus to start with. It looks pieced together, but that wasn't done here, that was in Brazil. That's how they made their buses. The vin number in the back is a fake, probably welded in. All Brazil vins are stamped in same places as German, but they start with "BH". The fact that no m code plates are present, is a sure sign that the legitimacy was questionable from the beginning. Mine came similar but with "Brazil" clearly stamped on them. All those signs, the burnt spots, crappy welding, etc. that is all done in brazil. That boogery welding Brendan is talking about, is a tell tale sign of Brazilian.

Great job everyone and I hope Nestbedding is able to buy a legit bus and be happy with it.

We actually believe the Bus came out of Mexico some years ago. It doesn't seem to be a post 1967 15 Window conversion but just a monstrous Frankenstein patchwork quilt of unrelated sections.

It's almost as if somebody had a bunch of parts Buses, clips, and sections laying around and made the leap to cobble them into a Bus.

It's a horrendous piece of shit and many of us are hoping it gets crushed so the fraud chain comes to an end.

It's definitely from 3rd world, but I believe this is how they build buses there. They use what parts they have available to put together. The combination of boogery welding and bondo over rust is prevalent among a lot of these buses. If it was from Mexico it would also make sense since Mexico built bugs not buses, so finding pieces in their wrecking yards may have been when happened. Really difficult to believe Octavios didn't know anything about this and it sounds like this shop and the owner have been doing this more than one time. It's simply crazy to think one can spend 6 figures and not look "under the hood". I'm glad Nestingbed got his money back or ? (he didn't mention that), but man everyone knows to get down on your back and look under the bus before you spend any amount of $$. You did a great job for him and also educating a lot of people on the Samba. Hopefully more people like him will read these forums or hire someone to go with them when looking a new ride.

Wanted: VW dealership items: giveaways, advertising pieces, literature, postcards, business cards, photos, signage, books, badges, pins, coins, pens, lighters, keychains, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

I can definitely say now that the history of the bus has been traced and it was NOT from out of the country. In fact, it was tracked down to the inland valley and the rear windows were cut into it, the front end was replaced due to a crash. It was purportedly originally a 21 window with the apparently likelihood that someone who acquired it after the guy who had the windows cut in welded in a different VIN number.
60 RHD Subhatch
62 Cabriolet
63 double cab
63 patina bug
64 notchback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

nestbedding wrote:
It was purportedly originally a 21 window...

That's curious: that would mean that whoever cut in the corner windows also had to narrow the rear hatch opening and install the earlier hatch (thereby widening the rear corners to make room for the corner windows). Not impossible by any stretch, but a significantly larger amount of work.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

So, hopefully without ruffling too many feathers. Does anyone know where this frankenbus ended up?

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sash_Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

An awesome read! Great story and goes to show I know nothing of the split world of these type 2's. I am happy the owner got solvent and I believe a lot of people learned a thing or two by following this.

I have asked this question for sometime now. The point was raised many times in this thread, but it still hangs heavy over my head. At what point do these restorations no longer represent what they originally were and thus the value should reflect the altered change in model. The going rate for a 21/23 ragtop bus is outlandish, but in my opinion only the original model is worth the ownership. I see a lot of bus builders/owners that take a standard and turn in into a 21/23 rag. Example: what is happening at Skinner with Kona the bus. That bus is no longer what it was made as. It should have a altered title. I respect Skinner to the nth degree. I also respect Bergsma's choice of what to do with his bus. HOWEVER, his choices havw made his VW a fake 21/23 ragtop. The title, in my opinion, should reflect this drastic change.

I just bought my first split, a 65. I plan to make the metal as it came from Germany. The suspension, color, motor, transmission, interior will all be mine and able to make stock at any given time. If I were to make a 13,15,21,or 23 then I believe my title should be marked as "altered"

Maybe wrong thread, maybe wrong place. But this thread links to a lot of discussion of late in my VW friends circle...at what point is it not what it was??? And how should that be officially be acknowledged?

Last edited by Sash_Bay on Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

Sash_Bay wrote:
An awesome read! Great story and goes to show I know nothing of the split world of these type 2's. I am happy the owner got solvent and I believe a lot of people learned a thing or two by following this.

I have asked this question for sometime now. The point was raised many times, but it still hangs heavy over my head. At what point do these restorations no longer become what they originally were and thus there value should reflect the change in model. The going rate for a 21/23 ragtop bus is outlandish, but in my opinion only original is worth the ownership. I see a lot of bus's that take a standard and turn in into a 21/23 rag. Example: what is happening at Skinner with Kona the bus. That bus is no longer what it was made as. It should have a altered title. I respect Skinner to the nth degree. I also respect Bergsma's choice of what to do with his bus. HOWEVER, his choices has made his VW a fake. The title, in my opinion, should reflect this drastic change.

I just bought my first split, a 65. and I plan to make the metal as it came from Germany. The suspension, color, motor, transmission, interior will all be mine and able to make stock at any given time. If I were to make a 13,15,21,or 23 then I believe my title should be marked as "altered"

Maybe wrong thread, maybe wrong place. But this thread links to a lot of discussion of late in my VW friends...at what point is it not what it was??? And how should that be officially be acknowledged?

As for the “Kona” bus the Mcode will always reveal it for what it is underneath the makeup.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Sash_Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

I agree, but most people have zero clue what a Mcode is, where it is located, and how to decipher it. IMO, the title should be "altered".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

Sash_Bay wrote:
I agree, but most people have zero clue what a Mcode is, where it is located, and how to decipher it. IMO, the title should be "altered".

that would require self reporting your changes - so that's a nonstarter right off the bat. those that would intend deception would never report it
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:
So, hopefully without ruffling too many feathers. Does anyone know where this frankenbus ended up?

When LEO seizes stuff for VIN fraud usually it gets toastered
Roger Lockhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

as long as "kona" or any ohter bus isn't listed as a real 21w/23w bus I don't see the problem. My bus will be converted from 11w to 21w. but it will always be a "fake" 21w with the original 11w title.
just like MicBergsma, I want it to be a 21w bus insted of the original 11w.
and yes, we know it's not going to be as valuable as a real 21w. but it dosen't matter. I'm not in this hobby for the money. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sash_Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. I believe anyone should be able to do with their property as they see fit within the confines of the law. I am just saying that down the road when the bus is sold or there is a transaction of ownership there should be a concrete way to identify that it went from an 11 window to a 21/23.

With the panels and technology today you don't even need a bus to get a 21/23 window. You can just order one from Classic Steel Body and add a Mcode tag to it. In 50 years even less people will know the difference and be able to identify the stamped VIN. Or presumably care if it is German or not, considering the market of the Brazilian buses of late. And again, if I fell into a cool Brazilian I wouldn't hesitate to own one....for the adjusted price.

Is there ever a concern that someday the Standard 11 window will be more rare than the Deluxe 21/23? lol, could you imagine that. I find the story in this thread, combined with the current trend in restoration a very interesting topic and an indication of where the hobby is headed.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

Sash_Bay wrote:
Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. I believe anyone should be able to do with their property as they see fit within the confines of the law. I am just saying that down the road when the bus is sold or there is a transaction of ownership there should be a concrete way to identify that it went from an 11 window to a 21/23.

With the panels and technology today you don't even need a bus to get a 21/23 window. You can just order one from Classic Steel Body and add a Mcode tag to it. In 50 years even less people will know the difference and be able to identify the stamped VIN. Or presumably care if it is German or not, considering the market of the Brazilian buses of late. And again, if I fell into a cool Brazilian I wouldn't hesitate to own one....for the adjusted price.

Is there ever a concern that someday the Standard 11 window will be more rare than the Deluxe 21/23? lol, could you imagine that. I find the story in this thread, combined with the current trend in restoration a very interesting topic and an indication of where the hobby is headed.

As Erik said - self reporting is a big part. This is just one example of misrepresentation. Twenty-five years ago, frankendubs were all over. It was and always will be part of the VW culture. I can buy a 73 bay window bus title from another state - right now and register my 77 bus as it with some creative tagging. Just so I can pass California smog exempt. Its not hard to do fraud.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34
Jump to:
Page 34 of 34

Jump to: