Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Good for you; it's rare, if ever, anyone reads of outcomes like this.

Whoever bought the Yumos 70's model Brazilian bay conversion passed off as a Turkis 1959 23 window from Mecum earlier in this thread would be wise to contact you.

If this isn't the same Yumo's fake, it's just like it...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2208937

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

way to go guys, glad this one had a happy ending
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Sorry I wasn’t more clear: I got all my money back Smile
60 RHD Subhatch
62 Cabriolet
63 double cab
63 patina bug
64 notchback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
Good for you; it's rare, if ever, anyone reads of outcomes like this.

Whoever bought the Yumos 70's model Brazilian bay conversion passed off as a Turkis 1959 23 window from Mecum earlier in this thread would be wise to contact you.

If this isn't the same Yumo's fake, it's just like it...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2208937

That's a Yumos replica, but not the same as the one Mecum sold. At least it's listed as a "tribute" and based on a 1980 Brazilian baywindow chassis. The Mecum one had bench seat interior, and the biggest giveaway is the lower nose trim fit....and passed off as a "1959".

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0518-326977/1959-volkswagen-23-window-bus/
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Glad it worked out for you. Sorry you had to go through it, but your documentation of the ordeal in this thread will probably save at least one other person (and probably more than that) from the same fate.

Good luck on your search, and I hope you post what you end up with - I'm sure it will be a nice bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Good to hear you prevailed. Thanks for keeping us updated till the end.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

nestbedding wrote:
No, the owner met me and inspected the bus, agreed it was in good condition and handed me the DMV form to sign it over to them. Once I signed it over, the TARP Division of the LAPD swooped in with badges out and took the bus!

Thanks for the final update and glad you won.

What's the TARP division and why did they take the Bus?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
nestbedding wrote:
No, the owner met me and inspected the bus, agreed it was in good condition and handed me the DMV form to sign it over to them. Once I signed it over, the TARP Division of the LAPD swooped in with badges out and took the bus!

Thanks for the final update and glad you won.

What's the TARP division and why did they take the Bus?

Assuming it was TRAP - Taskforce for Regional Autotheft Prevention (TRAP)

Quote:
The Taskforce for Regional Autotheft Prevention (TRAP) is Los Angeles County’s regional, multi-jurisdictional, multi-agency taskforce that investigates, prosecutes and deters vehicle theft and vehicle fraud on a coordinated and cooperative basis. It is authorized by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, and administered through the Countywide Criminal Justice Coordinating Committee with cooperation from the Los Angeles County Chiefs of Police. TRAP has been highly successful in combating vehicle theft and vehicle fraud by focusing on organized rings and illegal business operations.

TRAP is dedicated to informing the public about common auto theft schemes and recent investigations. This site will contain little known facts about how thieves and smuggling rings ply their illicit trade and provides insight into their modus operandi. It is the Department's hope that the public will take advantage of this timely and late breaking information to protect themselves and their property through the knowledge and street sense provided on the site.

http://www.lapdonline.org/commercial_crimes_division/content_basic_view/6325
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Black hound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Wow I did not predict that outcome! Congrats!
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Finally, a Hollywood Happy Ending. Congratulations. Applause

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Hey, you know this is really great to see you all rally around like this. This is exciting and depressing all at once to see someone get taken by the hobby.

Ill give the present owner $100 if anything tangible in the way of justice comes from all this effort. Other than calling a spade a spade, I think you'll be pissing up a rope.

I hope Im wrong - and Ill back it with the hondo. Wink

Jason, I think you'll need Joe's address!

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Great ending! Now who's going to end up with it at a police auction and start a new thread to bring it back to stock?
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Glad it worked out in your favor. Maybe people won't try to fake the funk now knowing whats in store for them if they get caught trying to pass off a faux bus
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Not illegal to build clone 23 windows. Illegal to tamper with vin#, I am guessing the latter is why the cops took the vehicle.
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

TRAP, yes, not TARP, sorry.

Jason, rest assured that $100 will go towards the new rack on the trunk of Pedro's old Notch I now own.

They took the bus because it was represented as a real 1959 bus worth $150k with funky VIN, removed body tag and codes, and they knew it was simply go back on the market somewhere else as the same thing again. Fraud in the $150K range is a whole different level of prosecution and attention.
60 RHD Subhatch
62 Cabriolet
63 double cab
63 patina bug
64 notchback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Sad to say that vehicles with altered vin/serial numbers often end up at the crushers here in Cal.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if anyone will get a crack at stripping it before they make it into a Kia or if it’s now a “other side of the fence” kind of thing. The parts would be kind of valuable given enough time.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

nestbedding wrote:
TRAP, yes, not TARP, sorry.

Jason, rest assured that $100 will go towards the new rack on the trunk of Pedro's old Notch I now own.

They took the bus because it was represented as a real 1959 bus worth $150k with funky VIN, removed body tag and codes, and they knew it was simply go back on the market somewhere else as the same thing again. Fraud in the $150K range is a whole different level of prosecution and attention.

You bet brother! Ill hit him up now. Have him make me one too. Forgot I said that since these things don't seem to pan out. Anxious d'oh! Very Happy

Still glad I can put my money where my mouth is on this one. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Yeah it would be a shame if all those nice parts were wasted by just crushing the bus. All of those rare parts would be reused ,except for those bogus numbers.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Congratulations! I never doubted for a minute that this would end in your favor. Mecum and the sellers doubled down and went for broke, and it backfired. They should have gave your money back and unwinded the deal long before it went to court. Ripping off someone for a few hundred or thousand bucks is one thing, ripping someone off for $100k plus another. A guy with $125k for a bus also has money for lawyers lol.

Hopefully all the shady vw bus scammers, and “buyer beware” mantra repeating types are taking all this in and comprehending. Some of the posts from these folks basically blaming the buyer, and defending the fraudsters, look even more ignorant now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 34

Jump to: