Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Internet buy
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Bought this ghia sight unseen. While this looks bad, at least it's got metal behind it instead of some sort of non-metal lol. Just looking for the positive
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Could always be worse!

I've come to the conclusion that you're more likely than not to get a ghia with bondo on it in this era.

I went to school and learned how to work lead, and metal finish panels etc. for a hot-rodding degree, but that type of effort/knowledge is hard to come by any more, and so labor intensive that the $$$$$$$ is an obstacle.

Bondo can be on, sanded and painted in 48hrs. The turn around and actual labor involved have made it the go-to for time and efficiency.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Bought this ghia sight unseen. While this looks bad, at least it's got metal behind it instead of some sort of non-metal lol. Just looking for the positive

Say - you wouldn't be in the market for a 1996 Audi Cabriolet by any chance, would you?

If so, I can fix you up with a real sweet deal just because current circumstances force me to get rid of it rather quickly and unexpectedly.

It's in great shape though - no need to waste time/effort with sending deailed photos, though, when you can just take my word for it.

Trust me.

Wink
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Say - you wouldn't be in the market for a 1996 Audi Cabriolet by any chance, would you?

If so, I can fix you up with a real sweet deal just because current circumstances force me to get rid of it rather quickly and unexpectedly.

It's in great shape though - no need to waste time/effort with sending deailed photos, though, when you can just take my word for it.

Trust me.

Wink

Hey,just because I went against every piece of advice on buying a ghia doesn't mean I'm gullible...any chance it was formally owned by Steve McQueen?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Steve McQueen, lol, KG Coupes Audi was perhaps once owned by Marty Feldman.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Steve McQueen, lol, KG Coupes Audi was perhaps once owned by Marty Feldman.

That's funny the bodywork on my ghia was modeled after Marty Feldman
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

So I followed the vein of bondo.Any advice?

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

It just depends on how you like to do things. Some strip the entire car then go back to start repairs. I find it easier to work on one area at a time. In your case... the front. Work from the windshield forward to the lower valence. Get down to bare metal, epoxy. Get repair panels. On that particular area...a piece off a donor car would make sense. Cut and weld, prime Move on. The nose does not look too bad, just that one area of rust thru?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
It just depends on how you like to do things. Some strip the entire car then go back to start repairs. I find it easier to work on one area at a time. In your case... the front. Work from the windshield forward to the lower valence. Get down to bare metal, epoxy. Get repair panels. On that particular area...a piece off a donor car would make sense. Cut and weld, prime Move on. The nose does not look too bad, just that one area of rust thru?

One "Good" aspect to a plan like that is it does it help prevent you from becoming completely overwhelmed by the magnitude of total repairs needed when viewing a completely stripped bare metal body shell.

Plus working on only one area of the body at a time helps remind you of just what an awesome and special automobile the Karmann Ghia is, which can be easy to forget when all you see for years is just the broken and rusted shell as you plug away on what seems like an endless number of metal repairs/replacements.

It's also much easier to remember how the pieces of a single individual project are supposed to go back together, as opposed to trying to reassemble an entire automobile that has been in a thousand seperate pieces for a decade or so.

Working on a single repair through to completion also gives you that feeling of satisfaction which comes from successfully completing a project.
That satisfaction will fuel your motivation to keep plugging away and completing more and more individual repairs.
... at least that's what I've been told, anyway. Someday I hope to actually complete one of the projects that I start before becoming hopelessly distracted with other stuff. Embarassed
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

I think Darrel is right. One piece at a time. Thinking of the final product is just so demoralising that it's best - I think - to think of only one step at a time.

I once (twice, actually) ran a 90 kilometre (56 miles) marathon. At the start the finish line was so far away I couldn't envisage getting there. All I could see was the next hill, the runner ahead of me, the crowds cheering us on. When I eventually got to the finish line, I was spent. Physically broken, emotionally and mentally insecure. Shattered, in fact.

'Why are you doing this?" my mother asked.

I couldn't think of a rational explanation, but my brother had an idea: "If you can do this, you can do anything you set your mind to."

That's how I feel now. If you can resurrect a Ghia from the grave, you can achieve anything you set as a goal. And knowing that is good for the soul.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Yup, eat that elephant one bite at a time.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I have to be honest a lot of the nose sections for sale in the classifieds look like the need quite a bit of work, so I think I'll just patch mine. The only rust is where the overlapped the new front drivers fender so I'll have to address that. I guess this will be my build thread.one thing I enjoy when I hit a setback...buying parts. Just received some wheels that I plan on refinishing

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Cutting out rust and original overlap fender that caused all the rust. Seems as the car was involved in quite a few fender benders over the years, but other than the repaired sections isn't too bad. Hope I don't eat those words the further I go

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Cutting out rust and original overlap fender that caused all the rust. Seems as the car was involved in quite a few fender benders over the years, but other than the repaired sections isn't too bad. Hope I don't eat those words the further I go

I wouldn't worry about it - that almost never happens.

Liar
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Haha, yeah I'm sure we all know better
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

May we ask for some good side views of your Ghia?

Rocker rust is serious and often isn't visible until the death is well advanced.

It will begin to be seen as a few innocent paint bubbles behind the front wheels or in front of the rear wheels.
When this happens you've got some major work ahead of you, there isnt any shortcut for its repair.

Stay with the small piece plan but know your entire task before you begin. If you need rockers, it is better to know that sooner rather than later.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
May we ask for some good side views of your Ghia?

Rocker rust is serious and often isn't visible until the death is well advanced.

It will begin to be seen as a few innocent paint bubbles behind the front wheels or in front of the rear wheels.
When this happens you've got some major work ahead of you, there isnt any shortcut for its repair.

Stay with the small piece plan but know your entire task before you begin. If you need rockers, it is better to know that sooner rather than later.

Dave

Sure thing Dave, let me know if you'd like any others

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Rockers look amazingly solid. Drain holes on the bottom surface are supposed to be there; you really are lucky. Maybe drill a hole in the front and rear faces of the rockers in the wheelwells and spray a rust-preventative paint or wax in there with a long wand, to prolong them.

Left headlamp bowl and seal lip also look really good. Is the right bowl and lip also good?
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Rockers look amazingly solid. Drain holes on the bottom surface are supposed to be there; you really are lucky. Maybe drill a hole in the front and rear faces of the rockers in the wheelwells and spray a rust-preventative paint or wax in there with a long wand, to prolong them.

Left headlamp bowl and seal lip also look really good. Is the right bowl and lip also good?

I hope they're solid,we'll see. Good idea on the rust preventive. Here's the right side headlight bucket after I removed the mud, has some accident damage

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: