Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Internet buy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

You can try a tool called a bone that’s made from plastic or make one yourself maybe with a plastic knife but I hate to say this you might need to start over with the install, it’s best to have the trim on before to make sure it seats properly, trying to put the trim on later you risked the chance of damaging it.

I have also found out through all the installs I’ve done it easier to start from the top with the glass as it puts less pressure on it while installing and it easier on the trim, use lots of tape to hold it together with lots of soapy water.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
You can try a tool called a bone that’s made from plastic or make one yourself maybe with a plastic knife but I hate to say this you might need to start over with the install, it’s best to have the trim on before to make sure it seats properly, trying to put the trim on later you risked the chance of damaging it.

I have also found out through all the installs I’ve done it easier to start from the top with the glass as it puts less pressure on it while installing and it easier on the trim, use lots of tape to hold it together with lots of soapy water.

Thanks, that's one thing I didn't try, top first
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

I had the same issue when installing my new glass and I had a guy with 50+ years experience do it with me.(I did very little) He was not at all concerned and just said "we'll remove it and pack it" what he did was use some of the cord he used to fit the window in as packing behind the rubber in the areas effected .... looks 100% perfect now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
I had the same issue when installing my new glass and I had a guy with 50+ years experience do it with me.(I did very little) He was not at all concerned and just said "we'll remove it and pack it" what he did was use some of the cord he used to fit the window in as packing behind the rubber in the areas effected .... looks 100% perfect now.

Interesting. So did he pack it after it was installed?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

I agree with Lonotch, it needs to go in with the T-trim. The trim has to be in the correct shape, if its off it makes it really difficult to get the parts to play nice together. Correct T-trim form/shape. If you can get the trim sitting well in the rubber on the glass, first...then try the install....with lots of soapy water or your lube of choice. Is there the gaps (like in your pics) on top and bottom? It looks like its the lower part of front windshield and upper part of rear.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I agree with Lonotch, it needs to go in with the T-trim. The trim has to be in the correct shape, if its off it makes it really difficult to get the parts to play nice together. Correct T-trim form/shape. If you can get the trim sitting well in the rubber on the glass, first...then try the install....with lots of soapy water or your lube of choice. Is there the gaps (like in your pics) on top and bottom? It looks like its the lower part of front windshield and upper part of rear.

Yeah, the gaps are only at the lower part of front windshield and upper part of rear.
Your probably right it needs to come out and tried again with the T-trim installed first, but we did try that and neither front or back glass would even fit inside the opening with the trim installed, so when I pulled the cording the inside lip couldn't bridge the gap all the way around.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

We have all been there. The night I installed my front and rear windshields I think I put them in and pulled them back out 3, 4 times each. Embarassed
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Are you using the generic rubber or the blocked rubber?

German Folks
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
We have all been there. The night I installed my front and rear windshields I think I put them in and pulled them back out 3, 4 times each. Embarassed

Hey that’s good to know it takes multiple attempts
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:

Its the molded repro. Kgpr seals
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
lonotch wrote:

So it has moulded corners or did the rubber have the same profile all the way around?

Another way for me to explain it when you got the rubber and layed it out did it have a rectangular shape or just a big circle, KGP&R sells both types afaik but the blocked rubber is a lot more expensive.

German Folks
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
We have all been there. The night I installed my front and rear windshields I think I put them in and pulled them back out 3, 4 times each. :oops:

I don't know, Darrel. My mate Dean called me over to help him install new rubber on his '68's front windscreen. We used the rope and soap method. Less than 10 minutes from the floor to the car, fully installed.

Driving there and back was 75 minutes.

My own car: Rear window, two tries, more soap the second time and it slipped in. Front went in the first time. Altogether 15 minutes.

But then, I had the moulded-at-the-corners rubber.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
But then, I had the moulded-at-the-corners rubber.
That's the ticket! I got my windshield in on the first try singlehanded. Of course it helps that you can be on both sides at the same time with a cabriolet Wink
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
Onceler wrote:
lonotch wrote:

So it has moulded corners or did the rubber have the same profile all the way around?

Another way for me to explain it when you got the rubber and layed it out did it have a rectangular shape or just a big circle, KGP&R sells both types afaik but the blocked rubber is a lot more expensive.

Yep, it payed out in a rectangle, cause I layed it out to see which side was top and bottom, unless I got confused as to the top and bottom, which very well could be
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

I'm thinking I'll let it sit installed for a few weeks while I work on other areas, maybe the rubber will succumb to my will after it's been compressed for awhile, sorta like punishment for being a pain in the ass, lol
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

I might go ahead and order the wcm rubber, it was more compliant I noticed on my last bug build. Also maybe I should remove the teeth that are pinched around the windshield, but not the back glass. Rubber for VW's suck, if only Oem rubber was still available, I've never had issues with fitment for American classic cars. I can install that shit by myself, first time every time
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
alansvwTwinCab wrote:

Interesting. So did he pack it after it was installed?

He removed the window and rubber cut a 3" length of cord and placed it in the corner then refitted. It seemed to me, looking on that it forced the rubber just in that area to be wider. I should have taken photos but I was firstly pissed that it didn't fit then excited to see it fit after he did his trick. Sorry I cant be of more help.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

^^^Basically shiming the rubber out so it covers the opening. Good idea. Idea
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Car is looking fantastic. I do love that metallic light blue Smile
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
Car is looking fantastic. I do love that metallic light blue Smile

Thanks! The finishing touches aren't as much fun for me, kinda just want to drive it, lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: