Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Internet buy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
advCo wrote:
Car is looking fantastic. I do love that metallic light blue Smile

Thanks! The finishing touches aren't as much fun for me, kinda just want to drive it, lol

I enjoy assembly but I get that, it is a stage that tends to drag on. Mine's so far away from driving that assembly sounds like a blast to me Laughing
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Figured I'd add a glamour shot...kinda
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Beautiful work... Can't wait to get my windshields in.
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Gorgeous. I love the color. Great work on the nose, too. Looks factory Wink
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Figured I'd add a glamour shot...kinda
Just wow! That color really fits. Considering what you started with makes it all the more impressive! Wish I had your metal working skills. Which wheels did you settle on? Applause
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Thank you all for the kind words. Unfortunately my metal working skills are severally lacking, but I learned how to sling mud from a friend at work, though frowned upon by professionals, works for my goals.
Going with repro detailed Fuchs, 4.5's up front and 5.5's in the rear, if I remember right. They're currently on a ghia I traded to my dad, hopefully I'll swap them out soon.
Anyway, thanks for watching!
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Managed to get the dash face installed thanks to the write up by rcooled. I need to tweak the glove box door still, but I think the rest turned out alright

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Oatmeal carpet and saddle tweed seat covers should arrive tomorrow and I just ordered saddle door panels. I've had black vinyl interiors in just about every VW and decided to go a different route this time.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Most of the carpet and drivers seat installed. I've never really been a fan of tweed, but tired of roasting in black vinyl. I have concerns as to how long the tweed covers will last as a driver, might have to re- sew the seems after some use, we'll see. Oh yeah, also removed the headrest, they weren't included, so just deleted them

Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

looks good, the only thing about fabric is it shows the dirt.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

If upholstery fabric and thread were used, then there's absolutely no reason to think that the seat covers will fall apart any time soon.
They should outlast your ass, unless you weigh 350+ lbs ... in which case, you'd probably have chosen something other than a Karmann Ghia to begin with. Smile

If you frequenty sit on the seats with soiled pants - or frequently drive around very dusty unpaved roads with the windows wide open - then the seats themselves may indeed begin to show the dirt.
If you have rug rats and frequently drive them about in your Karmann Ghia, then the cloth seats will no doubt begin to show the dirt.

The Good News is that the fabric is washable, and with a little effort can look (and smell) fresh and clean again.

I love the classic look of the tweed, and the color you chose coordinates quite nicely with that beautiful exterior color.

Keep up the Great work and stop worrying about choices that have already been made and implemented.
When something becomes a problem later on you'll find out about it quickly enough, and then you can start worrying about it.
If the problem is serious enough, then you can even begin to regret the choices you've made along the way that lead to that problem.
Until that time may come, though, relax and fully enjoy the fruits of all your hard labor as often as you can. Wink
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. The only reason I question the longevity of the tweed is cause it doesn't really stretch, just tears. But I am digging the look so far
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Looking great!! 100% Tweed seats? Looks expensive, like a more expensive option. Wink
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Ha, yeah thanks. It was the T optioned KG, very rare.
On a side note, I think the modern "cloth" seat covers used in new cars would be pretty cool, not sure what kind of material that is
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Had a talk with my upholsterer. They tried talking me out of tweed. It didn't work. Gonna buy the materials from TMI, and give it to them. The modern upholstery material doesn't seem right for a classic... Gotta go with vinyl and tweed. Will have a more stock took.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

I've always liked the vinyl/tweed seats, very classy imo
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Cleaned up the old tank, trimmed the sides to make it fit without scratching, then epoxied those sides to allow the sealer have something to contain it. Bought the red kote at oreillys, they didn't even know they carried it, lol

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Here’s the latest interior shot, still needs some detailing, but good enough to take an initial drive Laughing before pulling the engine cause im pretty sure the t/o bearing is on its way out.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Whoa!! Dude that looks awesome... Are the seats tweed??
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Thanks bud! Yeah all tweed. Cut off the headrests too, just cause the kit didn’t come with them
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: