Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Internet buy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

When shaping filler, do you use a "cheese grater"? It is a valuable tool to use in those few minutes between "wet and gooey" and rock hard.

If you get one, it is easy to form the shape and saves countless hours of sanding dry putty.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

A little bondo/filler isn't a bad thing (most people overuse it). Your just using a non-metallic filler instead of a metal filler (lead).

Factory did the same thing to cover certain welds (especially since welds tend to pucker/shrink).
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Nice work but can I make two safety observations? Your failed grinder looks like you had been using it after the cable had been cut and taped up which is not very safe. Also, the area where you are welding and grinding is a mess with combustible materials such as timber off cuts which can catch fire and the plastic sheeting over you chassis is combustible as well - sparks from cutting and welding is a very common source of fires.

Thanks for the reminder on safety, I've been pretty lax lately and definetly don't want a fire. I'll have to remember to do a check for combustibles next time I weld and generally tidy things up. As for the grinder cord...well yeah, not my proudest moment.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

crazy tarzan wrote:
A little bondo/filler isn't a bad thing (most people overuse it). Your just using a non-metallic filler instead of a metal filler (lead).

Factory did the same thing to cover certain welds (especially since welds tend to pucker/shrink).

I agree, though I tend to rely on it more than I probably should. Just never could get the knack of metal work, usually just would end up with a oil canny mess.

As for the cheese grater. I try to work the filler before it hardens, so have never felt the need, but I wasn't paying close enough attention when I did the above work.

Thanks for watching, I'll try to get some more done later
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Tonight's work, a couple skim coats and sanding and this portion is ready for epoxy and some 2 part primer. I just wanted to show this process a little cause I had the opportunity to have a body guy come over about 15 years ago and absolutely had my eyes open as to how ingenious their thinking was, they think in 3D and it's hard to grasp without witnessing first hand. I've always had the utmost respect for body guys, nothing is a problem to them. Any way I probably won't show the rest of the work unless there's interest, its pretty much more of the same
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Continuing on with filler work, 40 grit to shape for now. Just showing my work cause I rarely see body shop progress photos...patched up cars enter and beautiful sculptures pop out in the end, lol

Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

nice job
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Basketcase wrote:
nice job

Thanks it's just a 72, so I'm not trying to preserve history, just a nice driver. My goal is to be in paint before the end of spring and enjoy it, I'd like to install AC to really enjoy it during summer
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

my road runner is supposed to get color in the next month (been waiting since 2014) and I'd really like to get started on my wife's '72.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Better get that 72 done first, lol
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Basketcase wrote:
nice job

Thanks it's just a 72, so I'm not trying to preserve history, just a nice driver. My goal is to be in paint before the end of spring and enjoy it, I'd like to install AC to really enjoy it during summer

Very Happy It may just be a Fat Chick, but I've got news for you, pal.

While you've been busy with "life", some 46 years have now gone by since 1972. Shocked

If you're as old as me (old enough to be some hot coed's father, but not as old as dirt ... and nowhere near as old as iowegian), then 1972 doesn't seem all that far back.
However, if you don't consider forty six years ago as being long enough to be called "history", then you may want to reconsider that notion. Wink
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Looking good. I always enjoy seeing the process photos of these kind of repairs. Helps make it a bit more manageable when I start thinking about future repairs of my own.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

If you're as old as me (old enough to be some hot coed's father, but not as old as dirt ... and nowhere near as old as iowegian), then 1972 doesn't seem all that far back.

Hello there, Daryl Trump. Laughing
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

lol.
Daryl #1 said "old enough to be some hot coeds father" not "my daughter has a nice figure and if not my daughter, perhaps i would be dating her".
Ivanka has the impressively improved Dagmars. Cool
Keep sanding Onceler.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Onceler wrote:
Basketcase wrote:
nice job

Very Happy It may just be a Fat Chick, but I've got news for you, pal.

While you've been busy with "life", some 46 years have now gone by since 1972. Shocked

However, if you don't consider forty six years ago as being long enough to be called "history", then you may want to reconsider that notion. Wink

I probably should change my perspective about cars from the 70's, I grew up in the 80's and 70's cars were always considered pretty much worthless, I guess that's changing a little but doubt I ever get rich fooling around with them,pretty sure it's the opposite Very Happy but I enjoy them
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

The term "Fat Chick" is so inappropriate anyway.... Sad

They are Ghia's! Get over the year. Razz

Yup, I have a '73.. Very Happy
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Moving around front to the nose, it's pretty wrinkly, but I'm sure I can work it, Tijuana style,lol

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

Here u can see the low spots revealed after the 80 grit. Once I get these areas built up I can start to form the peak

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

"Fat Chick".........

In Beetles I know that refers to the much bigger and rounder Super Beetle. Big elephant tail lighrs, curved Windshield, big bumpers, etc. like my 74 Super Vert was.

In Ghia's, you've got essentially the same body only as the earlier years only with larger lights and bumpers. Honestly a much safer unit to drive. You can be seen at night or when stepping on the brake.

On my Vanagon I put an LED brake light in the upper rear glass PLUS I installed a flasher unit that pulses the LED unit everytime I touch the brakes. Flash - flash - flash - ON. Probably as annoying as all get out to those behind....... but I haven't been rear ended when braking!

This all being said, as I rebuild mine I could keep the rear 70 brake lughts but....... I'm old........ I like the smaller 69 style...... Rolling Eyes Wink

Anyway, thanks for keeping us updated, love it!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Internet buy Reply with quote

I like the led idea, I remember reading about a member that put an led in the vents in the engine lid, seemed like a great idea but don't remember who it was.
Tonight's work, I think another skim coat in the next night or 2 and I'll be ready to start forming the peak. I now realize how boring it is to look at bodywork pic.'s, lol

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: