Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding a 6v Generator
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

I figured I'd take the time to document my try at rebuilding my generator and regulator off my 1300. The bearings gave way and started dragging but the whole thing needed cleaning up. There is a page on a 1967 website showing a little bit of tear down but he stopped when he could get the windings out. Anyway, pictures are worth more than words.

Fan side backing plate followed by the fan shroud plate
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bushing Orientation Couldn't get this off by hand. I had to use a bearing separator and puller from harbor freight.

These bolts go through the body and hold the bearing plates

With the bolts out, the rotor can come out... dirty

Brush side cap, springs are rusty but in good shape

This extra wire goes here

Orientation of the windings

I think Bosch deforms the screws from the inside so you cant remove them. I was able to drill through both sides amazingly straight and centered.

This paper has seen better days

Full of years and years of crud

Magic! Desoldered the two windings, removed the old paper and rewrapped using Tesa automative tape. Soldered the two back together and heat shrunk the connection just in case

Sand blasted and painted

Also sand blasted and painted

Reinstalled windings using M10x1.5-16 screws from McMaster P/N 91304A161
I also used blue loctite to prevent backing out.
I almost used Red but i didnt want to have to drill these out if I need to redo something.
If its not worth doing twice, why do it at all?

Re-enameled the windings on the rotor. Also purchased from mcmaster p/n 7437K19 "electrical insulating varnish"

I broke the fan side bearing plate by trying to use a three jaw puller before I bought the bearing separator/puller. Luckily only 1/3 broke and both of the mounting holes are on one piece so if I cant get them brazed together it should still work.

Next step is to clean up some of the smaller pieces and install the bearings
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

Before you go much further see if you can get the commutator back into the stator housing.

When I re-wrapped my windings with self amalgamating tape it was too thick and fouled the commutator. I ended up having to pull it all off again and use some thin masking tape. I could not get enough purchase on the bolts holding the plates in place to ever get the clearance needed with the self-amalgamating tape.

I'm not sure if you even actually need to wrap the windings or not. They should stay in place.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I'm not sure if you even actually need to wrap the windings or not. They should stay in place.

The field windings need to be wrapped, otherwise they'll ground to the generator housing.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

This is why I love these forums so much. The ingenuity of some people is fantastic. It’s great to see peeps take on some of the more challenging tasks, like rebuilding generators. I look forward to the finale!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

I will check max tape working temperature.

Field winding can become very hot, often a "paper-like" tape is used, as in AC transformers.

Thank you for the interesting photos; I will bookmark them!
Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I’ll definitely check the tape max temp.
The windings are enameled wire so the won’t ground out to the housing, I think they are taped to keep them mostly together. If they weren’t enameled they wouldn’t create a magnetic field, they would shortcut the windings and go straight to the other side.

So far the total investment is under $30 for the bearings, spray varnish, and new screws. The paint I already had lying around.
Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

I was able to silver solder the fan side end cap back together.

I reassembled everything with new bearings and brushes.

Now come the problems, I am still not able to polarize it. I used my multimeter to check continuity and I am getting connection between the brushes and the body, brushes and the rotor shaft, everywhere. The field windings are isolated. That is, until I connect the brush wire and field wire on the D+ side. Is this correct? I never traced continuity before I disassembled.

I’m going to tear it apart and poke around some more.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this. I have been waiting for a tutorial on this very thing. Your success will be ours!!
Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

So after watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAtPHANEfQo

Typically one brush and one field coil wire will be fed with the same wire DC source so I am good there, D+ and one brush are coupled.

I think I messed up by painting the whole thing. The brush that has continuity to the body NEEDS to ground through the strap to complete the connection. i'm only energizing one portion, the stator. The rotor also needs to complete connection so it can generate a magnetic field to move against.

I'm going to bench test this theory at work before trying to strip all the paint.
Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

Alright, so the bench test went as expected nothing.

Took it home and discovered that the commutator is doing too much commutating - all 30 terminals have continuity to each other. Luckily they are isolated from the shaft. I couldn’t get anything to beep on the shaft to the windings. When running the multimeter across the insulation between copper strips it doesn’t beep. I though maybe there was enough carbon built up to cause everything to short, might still be the case elsewhere. If washing and scrubbing it doesn’t fix it, my next guess is the solder joints melted and smeared or something.

Does anything look out of place?

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

That armature is heavily worn and dirty. I would not think that it would be machinable and/or servicable. Even if you could have it cleaned up and it remained in spec (above min. diameter), any remaining service life will be short. Take the armature to a generator repair shop and see what they have to say. Personally, I would consider that to be scrap and I’d look for a better one.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

Zorba2.0 wrote:
... all 30 terminals have continuity to each other.

That's how it's supposed to be. All the commutator bars are connected to the others via loops of wire, which have very low resistance.
If there was no "continuity", there would be no current from one brush to the other, and the generator wouldn't work.

That commutator is a mess, and needs to be machined back to round and smooth.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

I thought there is only supposed to be continuity between the terminals that are 180 degrees from each other? Why bother separating them at all?
Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

"Each conducting segment of the commutator is insulated from adjacent segments. Mica was used on early machines and is still used on large machines" “Commutator (Electric).” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 28 Feb. 2018, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_(electric).

So yes, they should be insulated from each other. I'm gonna spray the crap out of it with the insulation paint and hope for the best Laughing
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

Checking for continuity on a known good generator with the brushes retracted:
- segment to segment on the commutator: yes
- D+ to DF: yes
- D+ to gen body: no
- DF to gen body: no
- commutator to D+: no
- commutator to DF: no
- commutator to gen body: no

With the brushes in contact with the commutator, continuity can be found between any two points.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

Zorba2.0 wrote:
So yes, they should be insulated from each other.

Yes, there is insulation between the commutator bars, but that does NOT mean there is no electrical
continuity between bars. There are different ways of winding an armature, and typically each commutator
bar is connected to multiple windings on the armature. Google "lap-wound armature" and "wave-wound armature"
sometime. The windings have extremely low resistance, and that is what shows up as continuity between bars.

I don't know exactly how Bosch wound their 6V generators, but I doubt very much it is simply an isolated
coil between each pair of bars 180 deg apart. I have at hand a Bosch 12V starter armature, which came
from a functional VW starter, and there is continuity between each and every pair of bars on the commutator.

If checking the armature winding integrity was just a simple matter of checking for continuity, one would expect
such a procedure to be mentioned in troubleshooting guides for electrical equipment. There is no such procedure
mentioned in the VW/Bosch manuals, and I doubt anywhere else.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

Ok, so that makes the water less muddy, or at least explains why I get continuity between them all.

What I should have done is test resistance and record all the readings to see if there is a burned wire or short per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmjFzukDhqI
cab57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

Hi,

for those who looking for exact countersunk bolt (N 010 999 1) for field coil you can find here :

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/senkschraube-b209f9.html

and you can use a drag link socket to tighten it:

On my side I would like to know the original color of wires connected to regulator and if someone know the kind of welding here: (it's seems that's is not tin.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

Is there any reason Kapton tape could not be used? I am measuring my old paper at .008". I can get paper at that thick but have access to Kapton as well.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 6v Generator Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
viiking wrote:

The field windings need to be wrapped, otherwise they'll ground to the generator housing.

Yes you have said that before!

As far as I know and what I originally researched, the field coil wires use heavily insulated wire otherwise the magnetic field is diminished by internal shorting of the coil itself. The tape was used to keep the coils in shape so that the commutator can fit into the generator not to provide insulative protection to the body of the generator.

They used Egyptian cotton originally as it was resistant to oil and did not affect the magnetic field. The use of rubber or some other polymers can become swollen if oil-soaked and can affect the clearance between the commutator and stator. You need to check the Kapton tape. It looks OK.

I've seen generators where the ends of the field coil wires are touching the generator body with no effect. However, if those wires have been soldered or the insulation removed then yes, it can short the body or between the pairs of coils. Usually these junctions are insulated or shrink-wrapped to maintain the circuit.

If I am wrong, I'd like to get a definitive answer from someone who is qualified or experienced in generators, because I have a contrary understanding and would like to know the real answer. Maybe Ashman?

I'm not argumentative, just need to understand if my concepts are correct before I open my mouth further on this subject and perhaps give improper advice to people.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: