Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

hello, i am selling a fully rebuilt vw 1300 single port engine. i have never done so before so i would like to know how much i can of out of it.

i have included the following in the rebuild:

turned crank
]]all new bearings
1600cc pistons and cylinder
new windage push rod tubes
all new shiny black paint
rebuilt pic 34 carb
new oils and fluids
all new seal kit
plus anything else i forgot

p.s. this is my first post so please give me tips for next time. thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

So it's rebuilt as a Single Port Engine (because a PICT-34 is a Dual Port carburetor)? Were those the original 1300cc heads? Is it an original F Case engine?

Last edited by Danwvw on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

also here are some other parts i forgot to add.

new belt
12v conversion or 6v if buyer wants
sport exhaust or stock if buyer wants
and swing or irs freeway flyer if buyer wants to pay more

my goal is 4k without trany and $4,500 with swing axle or $5000 with irs

thanks and please tell me if this sound rediculous
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

sorry i meant 30-pict
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

and yes it is a 100% original sp heads
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

yes it is a original f code case engine
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

I think you have to run head gaskets or cylinder shims to lower the compression on those engines when your install 85.5mm Pistons and cylinders. Depends on how many cc's the heads are after they get fly-cut for the larger cylinders. It might be worth that to someone wanting it original. Just have to find the right buyer. Most of us are putting in Dual Port engines that are more robust and they can be had for less. At least the long blocks Go for $2000 to $3000 and $4000 turnkey.
Mofoco,
Bus Depot,
JCS,
GTX,
Strictly Foreign.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Based on the description so far, I might go as high as 4000 Mexican Pesos.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

isnt 4000 pesos 200 dollars? is that a joke. if im doing something wrong id appreciate you telling me. remember, i have only been in the vw hobby for a year now
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Here's the honest answer. You're wanting to get four thousand dollars out of an engine that is your very first rebuild, the case isn't exactly desirable that it's based on, no information is given about what kind of machine work was done to the case or if it was done at all, the crank has been turned but you don't give specs on how much, no information given about any other internals, on the surface it appears that nothing may have been done to correct the compression ratio when using 1300 heads with 1600 pistons and cylinders, and it doesn't give a very good impression or instill much confidence in quality when you're stressing things such as "new shiny black paint" and "new oils and fluids" as highlights of your product. I'm not looking to pee in your cornflakes, but I think you're being extremely overly optimistic about what kind of money you're hoping to get from this.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

ok, thank you for your honesty. like i said i am new to the vw world and semi-new to the car world. i was going off of eBay prices that i saw for vw 1300 and 1600 turnkey engines. i will work on getting more specs tomorrow considering its 2 o'clock i GA. and yes i understand the lack of secs and how that can be an issue to people trying to help me. when it comes to the measurements on the crank i have a picture of the mechanics log. or if its magically lost then i will look at what size bearings i ordered. and like i said this is my first topic and im still learning very important skills. thank you
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

and yes i will admit it was a very cheap rebuild. i spent about 300 dollars on it.
i am 14 so the most i can get out of it the better. it will save me lots of time considering im working 2.5 dollars an hour. my plan is to use this money for restoring my chassis for my 66 bug then moving on to rebuilding my 1600dp.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Well I did my bus engine in 2002 cost about $500 back then, it had new heads, crank polished the case and engine tin boiled, the case alignbored etc then. In 2013 I built a turnkey from scrap for it because of the old engine form 2002 the only thing I was able to use was the tin and the rods and some things like the coil and rods distributor, gear etc.. It cost about $3000 for machine work and parts to do it myself buying a core for $100. It is the Webcam 163 cam engine below.
Last year I rebuilt the original engine as the Stock-ish 1679cc below still have not put it in. Playing with different carbs on it on the bench.

Many years ago I had a 66 Bug it was my first VW, the original 1300cc engine blew up on me a week later. A friend helped me take it out and we found a shop that rebuilt the bottom end for $150 and I had it running again as a 1300 within a week or two. Those were the days, The cars were like 4 years new!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Thank you for your experiance. Also cool story about the 66 bug
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

$1,000 if you are extremely lucky.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

you can get much more for any motor if the buyer can hear it run, better still drive a car powered by it.

Rebuilt, even with receipts for parts is a roll of the dice to buyers, was it built correctly is the question mark a buyer will have, and question marks effect price.

Now a receipt from a known, reputable shop that builds motors can help the price, cause then buyer can more safely assume it was built correctly.

Market area is important. is local economy good, are there many buyers near by. shipping can add a lot to the cost, thus lower sale price.

If someone needs a 1300 type motor for a 66 bug, are local and has extra disposable income, you may get top money. If the buyer is a super frugal, needing any Bug motor that will fit, and is across the country, thus high shipping cost, you'll get less for the motor.

think of this too if you walk into a motor shop looking for quotes to rebuild your motor, how much would you pay more for the rebuild at a shop with 20 years of experience building Bug motors, or a shop that claims your motor will be their first one ever to be rebuilt?

Price is also effected by how you sell it...

Say you can show the notes from when you cc'd the heads, and calculated compression ratio, the notes on your balancing both ends of the rods. Or rather than stating new pistons, state which brand pistons, and why that better brand is better, let the buyer know that you know what youre talking about when it comes to engines! Yeah tell then how you blue printed the oil pump, lapped the case flush and flat to the pump gears, how you checked line bore, which sized bearings are installed, etc.....
Add all the details of your build to your advertising.
A buyer is only buying parts if you dont advertise the skills and knowledge you put into that rebuild, so advertise all the details of the build, you will get better money that way,

Good Luck, bug on!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

By far you have been the most helpfull dude to answer my question. Like i said this is a first. You dont learn a new lesson automaticly in math class automaticly so people have to show you what your looking for. The samba needs more people like you. I will follow this like a guide line. Plus what you said actully makes sence. Thanks again
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
and yes i will admit it was a very cheap rebuild. i spent about 300 dollars on it.
i am 14 so the most i can get out of it the better. it will save me lots of time considering im working 2.5 dollars an hour. my plan is to use this money for restoring my chassis for my 66 bug then moving on to rebuilding my 1600dp.

With this statement alone I wouldn’t touch this engine unless you paid me to take it. I’m building a motor and the P/C’s, rebuilt rods, and machine work alone cost me close to $1000. Getting the heads rebuilt almost anywhere is going to cost $300+ minimum. More likely closer to $500. Define “rebuilt”. Taking apart a 1300, cleaning it up and slapping on some larger P/C’s and painting it isn’t “rebuilding” it. Rebuilding requires measuring the tolerances on everything and reconditioning or replacing any parts not in spec. While I appreciate your efforts, I don’t think you have a clue.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

I dont.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Sorry buddy - but this is not instilling much confidence. I applaud your efforts, but I wouldn't touch your engine with a 10 foot pole. We don't even know if the engine has been run. Keep in mind that a brand new Scat 1600 long block is only $2900. Your peripherals are not worth a grand.

And things like "rebuilt carb" don't mean much. Cleaned up and a gasket kit is not a rebuild - not saying that is what you did, but that's what many folks do.

And you started with a 1300, which is not the best case out there. I think I would look for a buyer in the $1500 range assuming you can prove that its a good running engine. Chalk this up as a learning experience and good luck.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: