Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

And I want to buy one for $10 actually bought a 40horse for that once!

As someone that likes to see what I am doing If I paid $4000 for it, I would want to see it apart. I would get some Plasti-Gauge and start checking all the fit's.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Wow what a tough crowd it’s been a long time since many of these experts were 14 but even worse I’d bet more than one couldn’t take an engine apart put it back together and have it run. If I was you I’d put it on Craigslist and be able to let them hear it run. Good luck and don’t let these tough talking bad hombres talk down to you. Very Happy
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Your engine is a "refreshed" 1300 (not a bad thing at all) and your car is a '66 , so why not just put the engine in the car?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
If I was you I’d put it on Craigslist and be able to let them hear it run. Good luck and don’t let these tough talking bad hombres talk down to you. Very Happy

Yes . . .
And consider something like this to help show off your nice work to potential buyers . . . https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Super-Pro-Oil-Pressur...mp;vxp=mtr
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
and yes i will admit it was a very cheap rebuild. i spent about 300 dollars on it.
i am 14 so the most i can get out of it the better. it will save me lots of time considering im working 2.5 dollars an hour. my plan is to use this money for restoring my chassis for my 66 bug then moving on to rebuilding my 1600dp.

Holly smokes, Only 14 and rebuilding a motor. Great for you. So many youngins dont have the skill nor ambition to do that. Your folks should he proud of you.

Ok, you got 300 bucks in it, thats not too bad. If you can show it running well, you could maybe double or triple maybe quadruple your investment in parts. But even though this is not the 4000 bucks you hoped for, as a first motor consider the labour as free, a good learning experience. the engine may not be perfect, nor last as long as a high end pro built one, someone may still find it a good deal for their needs.

I say three cheers for your talent hip hip hahrah, hip hip harah, hip hip harah!

So advertise the best you can and hope for the best, if you can run it, all the better for you and the buyer.

Please do tell us about your project Bug, we love photographs, lots of them. What are your plans?

I got my first Bug at 14, built the motor and tranny with my Dad. lot of fun. darn thing had four gears in reverse when I fired up, one gear forward. Opps, we slapped the ring gear on the wrong side of the tranny. We were using a VW Microbus manual for the rebuild, and the old busses had two extra reduction gear boxes, one on each axle at the tires to give better ground clearance and increase the gear ratio for the heavy Bus, this in effect caused the wheels to spin opposite to the axle,output on the tranny, so VW swapped the differential ring gear to the other side of the pinion gear in the tranny, thus changing the axle rotation direction. That was 40 years ago. I wont make that mistake ever again!

Keep a Buggin!

So good to see the youngsters taking up the Bug! Yellow 181 Red Bug Purple Bug Orange Bug Green Bug

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

what if i told you i lied about rebuilding it. i realy hated doing so but i wanted to see the your reaction( because i have learned that haters tell the truth.. however i do have a 1300sp and i am inquiring the parts to build it . thank you guys for the very honest reply. this helped from following the path that i faked. also if someone with a 66 wanted a 100% stock 1300 that was fully rebuilt with $600 put into it how much do you think they would pay for it. 600 is my goal for it. i am rebuilding a 1300 because i bought a 66 bug with the engine for 400 dollars.
i am creating a new forum on the complete list of what i need to do to rebuild the 1300.
i am looking for a literal list. and yes at this moment i have 300 bucks invested into it.

Last edited by Chickensoup on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

i am also creating a forum of my project with my plans. so check it out Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

the parts list will depend on condition of existing parts. also what is motor history, last rebuild, howd it run last, what failed etc....

these are thing we need to know for advice to be helpful.

let us know.

if many parts are reusable, 600 buck budget can be had. some parts may require lots of work or be shot.

you may not need to tear it all down, depending on its history and symptoms.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
...good to see the youngsters taking up the Bug!
Good on ya, chickensoup. Wasn't much older when I did my first-ever rebuild out of a JC Whitney catalog on the motor from my $75-dollar 1962 Bug. Then promptly drove it coast-to-coast. Ran very well and continued to do so, even after being sold over a year later.

As a recent point of reference, I couldn't sell a complete 40HP motor in need of a rebuild for any price. Even took a while to find someone who'd take it for free!

These are great cars to learn the basics on and this is a good place to ask questions. Welcome aboard...
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

when i got the engine i didnt and still dont know its history. it was 100% dissembled but when i look at it nothing was cracked,pistons look clean, and nothings was bent.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

an d yes many parts have been inspected by a local mechanic that is familiar with the vw's. many parts are good.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

this is the link for my project. check it out

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8695866#8695866
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

also if anyone has a engine stand adapter/hanger that you dont need PLEASE SELL IT TO ME. price is fine as long as its under $36 shipped. i can use my dads paypal. i live in good hope GA so if you are close i can pick it up. thanks

my email address is [email protected] .
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

1...An engine stand is very handy, but I did all my rebuilding on a bench for over ten years before I got a stand. Make sure you have stuff like torque wrenches, break in lube, a dial caliper, and any other needed tools.

2... Get the Blue Bentely Book, which is the Official VW Service Manual. Read and reread the engine section, understand every bit of it before you buy or assemble anything.

3... Ask questions.

4. For hopped up motor info, ask also on the performance engine forum on the samba.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
1...An engine stand is very handy, but I did all my rebuilding on a bench for over ten years before I got a stand. Make sure you have stuff like torque wrenches, break in lube, a dial caliper, and any other needed tools.

2... Get the Blue Bentely Book, which is the Official VW Service Manual. Read and reread the engine section, understand every bit of it before you buy or assemble anything.

3... Ask questions.

4. For hopped up motor info, ask also on the performance engine forum on the samba.

I’m still doing all my engine work on a sturdy bench I made and also using a heavy duty Wilton bullet vise. I have an original engine stand from the dealership which also doubled as transaxle stand but it’s been in storage for years. I’ve also got the common bench mount VW stands but still work off the bench using the vise because the bench and vise can accommodate countless other projects. How is your money better spent a single purpose tool or one that can multitask?????

I love the blue Bentley manuals but don’t you think Muir and Wilson’s books are easier to understand for the beginner????? When I was just starting out help of any kind was difficult to find, no internet and the independent shops were little help you had to bribe them with beer often times they gave bad or wrong info. The wealth of experience and info here is staggering thanks to all. Very Happy
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

yes, meant the engine stand/bench mount you can buy new for 37 bucks right now. i didnt word it right.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
...good to see the youngsters taking up the Bug!
Good on ya, chickensoup. Wasn't much older when I did my first-ever rebuild out of a JC Whitney catalog on the motor from my $75-dollar 1962 Bug. Then promptly drove it coast-to-coast. Ran very well and continued to do so, even after being sold over a year later.

As a recent point of reference, I couldn't sell a complete 40HP motor in need of a rebuild for any price. Even took a while to find someone who'd take it for free!

These are great cars to learn the basics on and this is a good place to ask questions. Welcome aboard...
I had already rebuilt a few go kart engines by the time I got my first bug at 15. At 16 I rebuilt my first engine using the Muir manual. That engine was a 1641 that lasted over 3 years and was still running great when I sold the '57 it was in.
I wouldn't tie up too much money in an engine you plan to sell anyway. That money could be tied up a while, all the time you're wanting to get to work on the pan.
As others stated, best way to sell the engine would be in your car and "hear it run".
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

$500 for a good engine with a compression test and documentation of new parts. $1000 if you have a good reputation and offer a warranty

Good on you for getting into something off your phone at 14. Those skills will serve you well the rest of your life. I retired at 50 onto my yacht and still change my own oil because working with my hands is rewarding and humbling.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: how much can i sell a fully rebuilt 1300sp engine Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

3... Ask questions.

I’m still doing all my engine work on a sturdy bench I made and also using a heavy duty Wilton bullet vise. I have an original engine stand from the dealership which also doubled as transaxle stand but it’s been in storage for years. I’ve also got the common bench mount VW stands but still work off the bench using the vise because the bench and vise can accommodate countless other projects. How is your money better spent a single purpose tool or one that can multitask?????

I love the blue Bentley manuals but don’t you think Muir and Wilson’s books are easier to understand for the beginner????? When I was just starting out help of any kind was difficult to find, no internet and the independent shops were little help you had to bribe them with beer often times they gave bad or wrong info. The wealth of experience and info here is staggering thanks to all. Very Happy

for me the Muir book was entertaining, the Official VW Service Manual ( Bentley) was the most useful for working on the car. real photos are a big help.

get both books if you can. if choice of one book, for me the Bentely is most useful of the two.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: