Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gearbox 091 trouble
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevfromaustralia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: gearbox 091 trouble Reply with quote

does anyone have a workshop manual of the 091 gearbox or have any idea what my problem could be

last year i had my gearbox checked and parts replaced if needed,

after a few months it started popping out of 4th gear,

and a few weeks ago i didn't have 1st gear anymore at the red lights, it wouldn't engage, just grinding noises, anyway drove home starting in 2nd and wanted to reverse on my driveway and the reverse gear was stuck as well, seemed like my handbrake was pulled up hard and could barely reverse,

anyway got it all "fixed" again, under warranty,

put my box back drove it like max 100km in 4 different trips and today again couldn't engage first(grinding) and reverse is stuck again,

it starts to piss me off really bad as i rather have my bus on the road instead of the hoist

thanks in advance for anyone that can help me out or give me some info
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: gearbox 091 trouble Reply with quote

Yes, I have a Bentley; suggest you look for a used copy in the classifieds. Your problem could be with your mechanic or gearshift linkage. Did it get filled with proper oil after worked on?
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: gearbox 091 trouble Reply with quote

Sorry, I just checked and my Bentley does not cover the 091.
kevfromaustralia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: gearbox 091 trouble Reply with quote

Just us buses wrote:
Yes, I have a Bentley; suggest you look for a used copy in the classifieds. Your problem could be with your mechanic or gearshift linkage. Did it get filled with proper oil after worked on?

yes filled up with correct gearbox oil after "rebuilt" also complete gear linkage has new bushes etc from front to back...

only started doing it few weeks ago, i just think the mechanic that does my gearbox is getting blind and oversees things,
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: gearbox 091 trouble Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630932&highlight=091

What’s That Noise?!?
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: gearbox 091 trouble Reply with quote

Can you shift through the gears with the motor off?
If you can shift into first with the motor off and not when the motor is running then something isn't letting the main shaft stop spinning. Clutch isn't releasing, pilot bearing froze to main shaft or a stuck idler. 091 input shaft too long for T1 motor or aftermarket motor.

Stuck in reverse? I don't really know what to think on this one, but also not sure I can understand what's happening either. You try and put it into reverse and it just gets stuck? An 091 should have spring loaded shuttle, so the hockey stick stays in the middle with 1-2 shift rail. If not no big deal either, you can manually put the trans into reverse by pulling down on the passenger side of the coupler all the way and pulling it out with the rest of the linkage undone. If that makes reverse work....might try and leave it in reverse and put the shifter in reverse and move it around until it aligns at the set screw of hte coupler.

Hopefully someone else can chime in that had this experience as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: