Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

This is a 356 that I am creating for the memory of my father who has been dead for 36 years. He owned the first 356 in Canada which was about the 8th 356 on this continent. He did not buy the car through Hoffmann but directly from Ferry who I met as a child. That is my father's signature on the dashboard replicated by the Zen Crow.

Here is a 600 page blog about the project which will be a documentary filmed by Animal Media titled Quantum Run 356. It is viewable on Vimeo as a trailer at the moment.

http://quantumrun356.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Eric Marshall Green on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

A couple exterior shots. The car is actually a green metallic similar to the 1954 Porsche color radium green. Not sure why it appears blue in many photos. It looks quite green in others.

Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Here are photos of the paint closer to reality.

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

How do I reserve a copy of the movie? This is one amazing tribute. What a lucky dad to have you for a son.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Vert, which is Green in French I think. I feel I am the lucky one to have such a father. Dead 36 years, I miss him every day. Did you go to Quantum Run 356? Some really cool photos of VERY early Porsches.

What do you drive? Is that your green bug in the photos with the wide whites?

I'll contact my VW guys and see if they have what you are looking for.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Yes, I did, but I didn't see any place to reserve a copy. If you can point me to where to do that, it would be much appreciated. I think you're striking a chord with me in that I miss my dad quite a bit and never felt like I did him the justice he deserved, although I did try. He died almost 20 years ago.

I don't drive a Porsche, I drive a 1962 Turquoise Beetle (yes, with the wide whites). Porsches are way, way out of my price range. But there are certain early Porsches that have such a charm and beauty to them, I can't get enough of looking at them, so I think I would enjoy this movie.

One of the prettiest Porsches I ever saw was a 1955 Pre-A. Not that I'm trying to make comparisons, just that yours has that certain beauty that reminds me of this one:

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

How weird. I own a 1963 turquoise bug as well. You can see an interior shot after the color samples of leather and carpet on Q356.

The movie hasn't been made yet except for beginning stuff. The second trailer is even cooler than the first but it's Animal's movie not mine. Besides, I need to drive my 356 across the country! They need to film it. We need to get along, the movie people and me, etc. Not sure I'm cut out for the movie business, but I guess I'm in it now. Ha ,ha, ha!

LOVE the 1955. A beauty. One of my HUGE inspirations was the 1955 Continental. My rear lettering will read PORSCHE CONTINENTAL.

Yeah, the price of 356s now is simply CRAZY. 1.2 million for a pre-A normal coupe? I wrote this 10 years ago! http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/eric-green-unfulfilled-desire-porsches-and-vaporous-past/63116

Last edited by Eric Marshall Green on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Eric Marshall Green wrote:
How weird. I own a 1963 turquoise bug as well. You can see an interior shot after the color samples of leather and carpet on Q356.

Yes, I did see it and my first thought was "Why is there a pic of my interior in here??" Laughing

Very cool story in the Penobscot Falcon.

Well, put me on the list for a copy of the movie when it comes out. I waited forever for "The Bug, The Life and Times of The People's Car" movie, so I hope this one is luckier. But I'm a patient man. I can wait.

Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

I'm not patient! I'm terrible, but as Popeye says: I ams what I ams.

My bug was in that movie. I wasn't so crazy about the movie. You?

My VW gurus sent me to this site for your parts. Kind of funny.

I'm half way up the Maine coast by the way. I see you are in NJ. My great and now dead fiend Frank Manno ran an Italian R. down there called Giamanno's.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Eric Marshall Green wrote:
My bug was in that movie. I wasn't so crazy about the movie. You?

Now I have a reason to watch the movie again! Laughing

I though it was OK for a movie made by and for a generation that did not experience the Beetle when it was everywhere and there were ads for it all the time. I became crazy about cars when the streets of Manhattan were full of Beetles, MG's, Citroens, Renaults, Simcas, Peugeots, Austins, Alfas, 2-cycle Saabs, Lancias, Fiats, and funny-looking little squashed Honda CVCC Civics. It would not be possible for a newer generation to understand the crazy variety of cars that were seen every day, nor how Beetles figured into that mix.

Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

I hear you! Me in 1963. Went to my first F1 race that year. Met a number of drivers. Wanted to race, of course!
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

To the 356 Registry: The producer of Quantum Run 356 was delighted by your comments. Stay tuned: you are all going to be famous. Nothing like a good antagonist. Cheers from your Celtic pal. And thanks! You guys rock.
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

To my Registry pals. Watch: https://player.vimeo.com/video/207718628

And to the rest of you:

40 years is a long time to wait to fulfill a dream of honoring your father who died broke and forgotten and denied his legacy in the automobile world, the model airplane world, and the paper-making world.  I am going to correct that as long as I am still alive.

Here, we will concentrate on my father's automotive history.  He created sports car racing in Canada with Jack Luck in 1951.  He bought a very early MG TC.  He raced a highly modified TD for the MG factory, which was undefeated until it came up against a very early 356 in 1951.  My dad immediately contacted Ferry Porsche in Germany and bought the first 356 in Canada in 1952.  Understand, he was still at home living with his mother (awful woman) in Montreal and accomplished this on an engineer's meager wages.  My dad never even knew what a silver spoon was.  Nor would he have cared.

These movies arrived yesterday.  This was the first time I saw the car actually driving, this 356 I'd envisioned over a 40 year period.  I had planned for about every detail, including the exhaust sound, but what I did not plan on was this:  I burst into tears on seeing and hearing it DRIVE.  And that's what this car is for and only for: to drive the open road.  "Cheers, Dad!  We did it!"

Clips here: http://quantumrun356.com/
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Don't forget to let us know when the movie is ready! Wink

356pre-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Cool tribute to your dad! I personally didn't have any problems with the registry guys. They helped me tremendously getting my 56A back on the road. I bought it in boxes, what a feat that ended up being.
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

The 356 is almost finished. Needs exterior badges and the amazing seats with the five-fold plaid inserts. My wife wove the Green Clan tartan cloth. First road tests went well. Here it is with a gorgeous 1959 coupe. They are good friends now.
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Excited to see the seats finally in with the Green Clan plaid tartan woven by my wife. "Thank you, baby!" And thanks you QC for the most amazing 356 seats ever. All completely handmade, even the leather was custom dyed.

Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

And the dash almost done with my father's signature and the perfect map light. Thank you, Zen Crow!

Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

And the original script from my 1956 coupe that I purchased in 1975 for $1,400.00 finally on the nose, straight and perfect! Most restored cars manage to get this crooked and off to one side, but not the Zen Crow!

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Moderator note:
This was moved to the Replica Forum as it's a Replica.
The site was not as clear as it could have been regarding where Replica threads belong so I have corrected that in a few areas.

To Eric:
Can you explain what "five-fold" means and why this is exciting to you?
Also, you said your wife made the seat insert material? Does she have a loom? I would be interested in seeing photo(s) of how that was done.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: