Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mild performance heating system
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Mild performance heating system Reply with quote

Hi! As i became really tired over exhaust smell inside the car when i used the heater, and the poorly heat, i decided to do something with it. So i decided to change my heating boxes to some "new" original ones without internal leak, which is in better shape, and to convert some original pre-heating boxes to the mild performance exhaust. It all would be wrapped in exhaust bandage to help prevent leaks, keep some more heat and protect from rocks and stuff on the road in general. So after had cleaned the heating boxes i started to narrowing the exhaust, because the engine is 2.6mm shorter. I would also weld on some flanges where the heating boxes meets the 4-1 exhaust. After this i started to adapting the right preheating box. This takes a lot of time and it being my first time adapting anything and only being 17 with limited welding knowledge and a abilities it looks ruff, so keep that in mind. As well as the fact that the boxes had really thin metal and poor quality, so i kept burning through.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And rufley finished it looked like this

Then i did the same thing on the other side and got this as a product Smile

Then i wrapped everything up in exhaust bandage. Note the zip ties are only for mounting purposes as i ran out of hose clamps. So i will change them when i get to buy more clamps.

I painted the preheating boxes to protect for rust.

This is for my sp kadron engine with around 65-70 hp. I am currently gathering parts for a 120hp 1776 with dbw and efi, which i will do the same to with 1 5/8" exhaust. And maybe make my own heating boxes. We will see Smile

When i get finished with installing a full flow system i will try the system, and looking forward to try out the heat. Theoretically it should give some more heat, due to the stainless header going through the preheating boxes will give away some more heat. But in practice i do not know.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

Good job-please post the outcome.

Scat used to make those headers, but no longer. I have some preheaters sitting for years that I have meant to adapt but have not gotten around to it. Please do mine as well :). Did you just use a cutoff wheel to open them up then slide them over your header then weld everything back up?

FYI that exhaust wrap will hold moisture and rust out your exhaust much quicker.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

The plastic zip ties are gonna melt and the header will rust badly every where you have it wrapped.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

Bailing wire might be a good option instead of clamps.

Loooks good
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Good job-please post the outcome.

Scat used to make those headers, but no longer. I have some preheaters sitting for years that I have meant to adapt but have not gotten around to it. Please do mine as well Smile. Did you just use a cutoff wheel to open them up then slide them over your header then weld everything back up?

FYI that exhaust wrap will hold moisture and rust out your exhaust much quicker.

I will do! Hopefully ill get it full flowed in next weeks weekend:)

No, actually original preheaters have those metal flaps which you can bend up and then you can seperate them into two pieces. Then i cut in them because the header didn’t have the same shape as original exhaust has. Then i did my best in welding the opening that was left from where the original exhaust would have gone. And then i welded dem back to one piece to get them sealed as well as i could.

I have thought about that that they will keep moisture, but at the same time i think the exhaust will become so hot that they will vaporize the moisture. I will try it like this on this exhaust, and then ill do it different on the 1776 if the result is bad. If i were not to use exhaust bandage, what would you use to seal between the preheating boxes and header?Smile
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Bailing wire might be a good option instead of clamps.

Loooks good

Never heard of that, will need to check that out Smile
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The plastic zip ties are gonna melt and the header will rust badly every where you have it wrapped.

It is rust free, but now i am concerned about the preheaters and heatingboxes. What would you guys have used instead to seal the gap between preheating boxes and header?
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

It is stqinless steel*

Another question, can i weld the preheating boxes to the header? The reason i didnt do this is because it comes «loose» from the factory. But if there really isn’t a problem welding them in place, then ill weld them onto the header.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

The exhaust wrap will deteriorate your header quickly. I would take it off and tack your preheaters to the header. There is no need for the exhaust wrap. The preheaters are meant to heat the air as they pass the #2 and #4 pipes prior to entering the heater box. If you are using OEM heater boxes then put out some 40 degrees more heat at the footwells compared to aftermarket Dansk boxes during my testing. They are much heavier when you hold them due to the added fins inside.

If you do decide to keep the exhaust wrap for whatever reason you can get metal zip ties (ebay) or use a hose clamp. I would strongly recommend removing it.

I did a test where I wrapped a heater box in exhaust wrap to see if it would help add more heat and it did not. Dealing with that fiberglass or synthetic wrap is more trouble than it is worth plus add the moisture retention and that is a bad thing unless it is a drag or sunny driving vehicle.
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
The exhaust wrap will deteriorate your header quickly. I would take it off and tack your preheaters to the header. There is no need for the exhaust wrap. The preheaters are meant to heat the air as they pass the #2 and #4 pipes prior to entering the heater box. If you are using OEM heater boxes then put out some 40 degrees more heat at the footwells compared to aftermarket Dansk boxes during my testing. They are much heavier when you hold them due to the added fins inside.

If you do decide to keep the exhaust wrap for whatever reason you can get metal zip ties (ebay) or use a hose clamp. I would strongly recommend removing it.

I did a test where I wrapped a heater box in exhaust wrap to see if it would help add more heat and it did not. Dealing with that fiberglass or synthetic wrap is more trouble than it is worth plus add the moisture retention and that is a bad thing unless it is a drag or sunny driving vehicle.

Ohh nice! With tach them to the header you mean weld the preheating boxes to the header right?

Looks like i will remove them then. If i can weld the preheaters to the header to get it air-tight
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

Is it okay to weld the preheat joxes to the header?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

TheViking wrote:

I don't think it is necessary.
Keep in mind . . . the heat exchangers and those "pre-heater" boxes are pressurized . . . even when you have the heater controls off . . . fumes will NOT enter through any gaps.

The "engine smells" are entering through the fan . . . concentrate some effort to prevent that.
Be sure that ALL tin pieces are in place as well as all the engine compartment seals . . . and that all are in good condition.
Stop any engine oil leaks.
And keep your deck lid closed.
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
TheViking wrote:

I don't think it is necessary.
Keep in mind . . . the heat exchangers and those "pre-heater" boxes are pressurized . . . even when you have the heater controls off . . . fumes will NOT enter through any gaps.

The "engine smells" are entering through the fan . . . concentrate some effort to prevent that.
Be sure that ALL tin pieces are in place as well as all the engine compartment seals . . . and that all are in good condition.
Stop any engine oil leaks.
And keep your deck lid closed.

Yes i know:) the thing is i am
Not woried about fumes getting in, byt air from the heating system getting out of the pre heating boxes, due to gaps from the exhaust manifold. That is why i am wondering if it is okay to weld the preheat boxes to the exhaust manifomds
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mild preformace heating system Reply with quote

Anyone?
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mild performance heating system Reply with quote

I listened to your advice and removed the exhaust bandages from the preheating boxes and heating boxes. I did also weld the preheating-boxes to the header to get it air tight.

Didn’t become pretty, but pretty solid it is Razz
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mild performance heating system Reply with quote

What were you using for a welder, rod, etc...that heater box metal is super thin!

Get that engine in the car and the heater running!
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mild performance heating system Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
What were you using for a welder, rod, etc...that heater box metal is super thin!

Get that engine in the car and the heater running!

0.8mm with gas set at 8 bars. The steel i had to replace i used 1.3mm thick steel. I used a lincoln electric or something, it auto adjusts everything, but you can control some voltage from -2 - +2 volt, so i used -0.9 - -1.5 when i welded. It adjusts the voltage and amps by itself. But everything st lowest setting i kept burning through.

I will! And i can keep you posted if you want? About the heat? Just need to get it full-flowed first. I get the parts on sunday so maybe in a week or two Laughing
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mild performance heating system Reply with quote

This is the welding machine i used
https://www.premierwelding.com/lincoln-electric-sp...YcQAvD_BwE

Lincoln electric speedtec 200c
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mild performance heating system Reply with quote

When this engine breaks, i will build a winter engine with efi and use this exhaust. Just because of the heat. Hopefully around 90-100hp. A buddy of mine built a 1679 with same exhaust (without the modifications for heat), used a 34 pict 3 as tb and got 88 hp. So with dual tb i think i can get 90-100hp. Neat little winter engine with good heat:)
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mild performance heating system Reply with quote

It is looking good for sure lots of work you have going on there for sure. I did consider doing what you did. My alternative was to make these and the result is more direct air flow thru the heater boxes.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: