Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 turn signal switch
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

The horn on my '60 never worked. After getting into it, it seems all the pins/contacts and whatever else that was necessary were missing. I have several other complete steering columns with the more standardized horn setup. However, the turn signal switches are all for the two bulb tail lights. Question is, can I take '60 turn switch and use it on the later year steering columns? Or, might there be an easier way? Thanks
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

Not sure if has original 6 volt or converted 12 volt..

12 volts
Use the 62-67 3 wire switch.. and a Hoppy trailer light converter.. done..
Search "snowflake conversions"..
The trailer convertor is by far the easiest way to adapt single bulbs to the the 3 wire turn switch and standard bulbs..

6 volts or !2 volts
Use the 62-67 3 wire switch and relays.
Switching relays are also another and very reliable consistent way.. albeit it takes more parts and wiring.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

The '60 six wire switch will mount just fine on a later column meant for a three wire switch.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The '60 six wire switch will mount just fine on a later column meant for a three wire switch.

True.. BUT !!!
User wants to correct the horn issue.. The turn switch pieces are slightly different for the horn circuit on the 62-67 switch that are different than 60-61 style.

One thing to note.. the 62-67 wheel would have to be used as well.

Not sure that's a deal breaker??

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

Not quite sure what horn parts you're talking about, all three wire signal switches I can recall seeing only have turn signal parts (and high beam switch on the later ones). Pics would help illustrate if you could point out what you're referring to.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

No pics.. just some clouds in the memory bank about .. 60/61 steering wheel specifically the horns not working on 62/67 columns and turn switches.. and vice-versa
Something about the contact points between parts. Think

If I'm wrong.. Im wrong.. just was trying to help the question at hand for lighting.

Found this???

danny gabbard wrote:
I have a 1960 bug with correct turn signal switch, Can you use a 62-67 wheel? If so, any info would help.
glutamodo wrote:
You can... but the horn circuit won't work. Not unless you convert the wiring to the 62-67 style.

Usually and often edited
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

I have what I believe is a 64 or 65 steering column in my 60 with a six wire switch, but I also have the 64/65 steering wheel as well. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much effort to wire the 60 steering wheel to function the same as the later horn setup, but I can't find any decent pictures of exactly what the 60 steering wheel hub looks like.

Not saying you're wrong, I swear I know less and less every day, just trying to get information together to help the OP fix their stuff.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
, I swear I know less and less every day, .

Feel that pain.. dont use it.. or write it down.. loose it..
I dont deal with these enough anymore to try and know it.. or remember it all.

Seems.. 60/61 do not have the wire down the shaft.. and use the shaft itself as the conductor .. hence wheel horn contact points... brass ring.. something rings a bell..

62-67 use the wire down the throat..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369613

Maybe its just the shaft wire vs the wheel and upper bearing assembly ??
Too many miles ago.. and too few 60-61's for me.. Laughing

Usually and often edited
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

It's possible my column may be the original 60 as it didn't have the wire down the middle, I even had to drill a small hole at the steering box end so I could fish a wire down through. I'd say installing the later style horn wiring took maybe an hour or so to do, wasn't really difficult at all. Having the fuel tank out definitely helped though. The question would be if the OP wanted to go that route to fix the horn, what would it take to adapt the original steering wheel? Would it be better to just swap the whole kit and caboodle then adapt the three wire switch to the snowflakes? Personally, I've had rather poor experience with the trailer converters lasting for any length of time and would recommend using relays instead if that route is taken.
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

I have no idea which steering column and tube is in my '61. I do know that I have a '61 6-wire switch and a '64 steering wheel with horn bar. I have snowflake taillights. Both the turn signal switch and horn work. I don't know if that helps answer your question, but I thought I'd offer up the information.
Redlines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

All of a sudden this post kinda became a bit confusing! Then looking down in the topics, I see, ironically, another post, by another author titled the same as this one! What a hilarious coincidence! Anyway, the gist of this( my ) particular post is this: the horn doesn't work. I have missing and hard to find needed parts. I have several other complete mid 60's steering shaft assemblies with steering wheels and turn signal switches. Will the 1960 turn signal switch and the later 60's shafts marry up properly so both the signals and horn will work. Hope this didn't come out sounding to confusing. Thanks.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

all you need to do is run a wire down the column and wire the horn system like 62-67. Install later steering wheel and horn ring. No need to swap the column out, keep your 60 switch and column.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

You may need to do more to run the later steering wheel. The '60-'61 setup insulates the steering shaft from the outer tube. You need to defeat that because the '62-'67 system relies on the tube and shaft being one electrically. Often enough that isolation between the parts has failed on '60-'61 Bugs, in which case it is as easy as swapping the wheel and adding the wire.
Redlines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

So what I've done so far, ( and it was along time ago ) was remove the wheel and shaft. The turn signal switch is till attached to the tube which is still attached to the car. So all that would be necessary then is pick one of the several shafts I have, insert it thru the tube, make sure it has a wire running thru it, make all the connections and attach a non 60/61 steering wheel on it and, it should work. Right?
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 turn signal switch Reply with quote

Yes, should be good. You didn't need to swap the shaft though, just needed the through ground wire. My 61 has the stock column and 6 wire switch, all I did was switched the wheel and added the ground wire per the 62 up wire diagram (end hooks to other side of steering box)
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: