Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inaccurate speedometer
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Inaccurate speedometer Reply with quote

Hey there. Fairly new to my vanagon. My speedometer runs about 10-20 mph above the actual speed of the vehicle. For example, if I want to go 45 mph, my speedometer will read 60. '83 Vanagon automatic. Any ideas?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

Its all over the map, AFIK, regarding the accuracy of said spedo... Many many many say exactly the same thing as you with ALL STOCK tires, rims, etc.

Considering that its HARD to put stock tires on a Van these days, it might be something to do with that too..
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

So it isn't repairable? What if I bought another instrument set?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

It is also possible it is a replacement from another vehicle, I guess. There are a few repairs threads for speedos' tho. I could try to dig some up, if nobody has more // better answer for you soon.

It might be good to know what tire size you have, for starters... Usually, folks with tiny tires say stuff similar to you..

Last edited by bobbyblack on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

WannaDriveFar wrote:
So it isn't repairable? What if I bought another instrument set?

It is certainly repairable with a replacement cluster assuming your tires are near stock in size.

What size tires are you running? A teensy tire used on a dropped van is going to cause the speedo to be way off.
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

185R14C
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

If you have a Bentley repair manual, check the Speedo section. It actually says that the speedo reads above actual! And by quite a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

WannaDriveFar wrote:
185R14C
185r14's will cause the odometer to read about 5 % fast, which is normal for a vehicle of this vintage.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

WannaDriveFar wrote:
185R14C

Damn, you must be the only person to actually have the STOCK tire size... Hope they are not originals.

If you need new, problem will be solved when you decide on 15" or 16" rims, and a larger overall diameter...

Hope you get 'er done!

-bobby
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
WannaDriveFar wrote:
185R14C

Damn, you must be the only person to actually have the STOCK tire size... Hope they are not originals.

If you need new, problem will be solved when you decide on 15" or 16" rims, and a larger overall diameter...

Hope you get 'er done!

-bobby

When I bought the van last fall it came with these tires, and they're practically brand new. Why is it that the stock causes problems and larger, aftermarket ones wouldnt?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

WannaDriveFar wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
WannaDriveFar wrote:
185R14C

Hope you get 'er done!

-bobby

When I bought the van last fall it came with these tires, and they're practically brand new. Why is it that the stock causes problems and larger, aftermarket ones wouldnt?

Pretty sure there was and likely still is a law the says a speedometer can not read too slow. For the automakers this meant that they had to make a speedometer that read too fast or risk having a slew of legal problems.

The speedometer is totally mechanical and basically registers the rotating speed of the front left tire and unless the tire is a bit larger than stock will read too high because of the above given reason.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

The speedometer can be calibrated. There are shops that will do so for a fee. Otherwise it is possible to DIY the adjustment but it is a bit tricky. I have successfully adjusted a couple to read within a couple MPH throughout the range of speeds even with non-stock tires.

If the reading vs. actual speed is off by the same amount across the range of readings then the needle needs to be moved on the shaft. If the difference between reading and actual is progressive, then the spring tension needs to be adjusted and usually the needle to shaft orientation adjusted afterward.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

How accurate is the odometer over a 100 mile run? The l/f tire spins the speedo cable. Taller or shorter tires affect how many actual revolutions per mile. If you attempt to adjust yours, I would have a spare on hand.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

What are you using to compare your speedometer's accuracy? There is a great app called Speedbox, which I use for my fleet of vehicles. Highly recommend it.

Craig
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
How accurate is the odometer over a 100 mile run? The l/f tire spins the speedo cable. Taller or shorter tires affect how many actual revolutions per mile. If you attempt to adjust yours, I would have a spare on hand.

This thread is about speedometer, not odometer. Adjusting the speedometer has no effect on the odometer accuracy.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
WannaDriveFar wrote:
185R14C

Hope you get 'er done!

-bobby

I am running the 185R14C also. When i use a speedomeder app on my phone, the speeds match. The problem I have is the needle is slow to move up
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

MichaelCampingInVA wrote:
The problem I have is the needle is slow to move up

That's a common issue with Vanagons. Put in a more powerful engine and the speedometer will move up more quickly.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

Hi
Cheap fix: instead of recalibrating or whatever, print a speedometer background with the numbers where you want them, stick it on top of the existing, and voila!
bizarre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

or get your self a GPS Heads Up windscreen display

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adventure-kings-h...xfEALw_wcB
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

WannaDriveFar wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
WannaDriveFar wrote:
185R14C

Hope you get 'er done!

-bobby

I can't believe the suggestions to spend $$$ and get larger radius tires are serious advice for the OP. OP before you make any changes in tire size, you will not correct a 20% error by changing tire size 20% without having very bad results on performance. Don't think about it.

Your issue is with the speedo unit itself, not the tires, stock tires are just fine.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: