Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inaccurate speedometer
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

I can't believe the suggestions to spend $$$ and get larger radius tires are serious advice for the OP. ...

Your issue is with the speedo unit itself, not the tires, stock tires are just fine.

Indeed, I was not intending to have OP do something that would not be in their best interest. Just wanted to say that if the tires were quite old, then they could consider a slight change. You are completely correct for calling me on this, as I also feel very strongly that the stock tire (at least the stock width and diameter) is quite important overall. I think a slight change would be on the OK side, but right, I actually advocate regularly to NOT go above 26" diameter as this is a cascading problem for both engine power and the effect on the spare clamshell. (Technically, I think a 26.5" tire will "fit" the clamshell, but I'd still stay smaller)

Thanks for the call-out Dave.

To the OP, I agree, there are places to send that speedo out to for calibration, and there are DIY threads, BUT, you should consider sourcing a spare and try it before going that route.

Hope things turn out well for you!

-bobby
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
MichaelCampingInVA wrote:
The problem I have is the needle is slow to move up

That's a common issue with Vanagons. Put in a more powerful engine and the speedometer will move up more quickly.
haha,

Thats on the “to-do” list
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

Everyone wants more power from the engine compartment. I got a '93 EJ22 and was moving towards installing it. I think the EJ22 has 40 or so more HP, so that was going to be great. Turns out that my kids overheated their 2.1WBX and I sicked 'em on the swap I was half way through. I got that Subi for $200, drivable. Not sure I would want the EJ22 OBD1 if I had to go through it all again. I'm looking for an OBD2, but I have come to the conclusion that as long as I can keep stock, I will. Even though I WANT more HP, stock has always treated me well, in my 30-ish VW's I've owned over the years.

Now, GW is offering a replacement Fuel Injection kit for the Stock, and their larger displacement engines based off the 2.1 WBX bottom end. Seems like a good thing. Also, Marco is nearly ready with his FI/engine management replacement that will allow for a turbo addition on top of the FI upgrade. Both of these options are keeping my interest in stock or stock based engines alive.

There is one thing that will need attention regardless; in your case, the auto trans, and in mine the manual. Your 3'rd might top out at around 65-70 with screaming RPM's. I can push my 4th to 85 with my stock diameter tires. It is not wise tho. There's a Ring and Pinion change or gears change that makes modern driving more reasonable, but consider your options, your budget, etc. before you start dumping money into any of it. For now, I got lucky to NOT be doing the conversion on my van... Let the kids do it Wink For the time being, I am concentrating on seam rust, kitchen rot, and general preservation, and that is taking up any spare change I have.

Good luck, and keep the great attitude you've got !!!

-bobby
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

WannaDriveFar wrote:
if I want to go 45 mph, my speedometer will read 60.

get the speedo calibrated, click to see where to take it.Smile
http://bfy.tw/GkpG
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

Again,
What are you using to confirm that your speed is off?

Craig
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

I was originally just using mile markers and my clock to do the math on my actual speed. Yesterday I downloaded a speedometer app to confirm, and yeah, my speedometer is about 20 mph higher than my real speed.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

[quote="WannaDriveFar"I downloaded a speedometer app to confirm, and yeah, my speedometer is about 20 mph higher than my real speed.[/quote]

that is way out of normal range. typically speedos read 5% faster than true, with stock tire size like you have

you may learn from a speedo shop that your speedo needs some new parts, it is definitely out of spec.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

But was the odometer off?

If the odometer is reading accurate and the speedo is off, then some calibration will be needed. If both are off, then the gearing is not correct for your tires.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Innacurate speedometer Reply with quote

If your odometer is off by a similar amount take a look where the mileage counter for the oxygen sensor resides and see if someone added a speedometer ratio adapter there. A PO may have run tiny tires and added an adapter to get the speedo to read correctly for him.

https://www.ebay.com/i/132343318658?chn=ps
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: