Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Turn Signal Switch
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

I have a 1960 bug, the turn signals work, the turn signal arm is broken, can this be swapped out? or do I need to find the whole turn signal switch? if so which one will I need to look for 3 wire, 4 wire? It's all original with snowflake taillights, converted to 12 volt though.

Thanks,
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

The signal arm is cast as part of half of the switch assembly. Assuming your current switch is original, you can disassemble the switch and swap it out with an unbroken one, but it'll have to be a six wire 60-61 switch you get the part from. Swapping the whole thing out with another six wire switch is also an option. Yet another option would be to install a three wire switch and wire in some relays to replicate the function of the six wire switch. And one final option would be if you still have the broken off arm, to reinforce and reattach the arm to the switch using a bit of metal rod and epoxy.
Bryan S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The signal arm is cast as part of half of the switch assembly. Assuming your current switch is original, you can disassemble the switch and swap it out with an unbroken one, but it'll have to be a six wire 60-61 switch you get the part from. Swapping the whole thing out with another six wire switch is also an option. Yet another option would be to install a three wire switch and wire in some relays to replicate the function of the six wire switch. And one final option would be if you still have the broken off arm, to reinforce and reattach the arm to the switch using a bit of metal rod and epoxy.

Thank you for the different options, I really appreciate it. Very Happy
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

The turn signal arm was a weak spot on the 60-61’s. Mine was broken when I purchased my ‘60. I ended buying a NOS one from the Samba classifieds. Not cheap but it works perfectly. I am very careful when I use it. The 60-61 switches are available new but there have been some quality issues raised about them.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D953%2D517%2DB

One option but I notice that it is showing as presently out of stock. Wolfsburg West is also showing the 60-61 switch as out of stock.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

The one in the link is a modern reproduction. I have one and made it work with some minor modification, but the quality isn't really any good and it needs adjustment often.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The one in the link is a modern reproduction. I have one and made it work with some minor modification, but the quality isn't really any good and it needs adjustment often.

Agree. I initially bought the reproduction switch before I was able to find an original. It would not always self cancel and sometimes the left turn signal would not come on unless you jiggled the switch. I would point out that this was my experience in 2010. Maybe the quality of the repro switches has improved??? I don’t know.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

i have a 66 bug. what type do i need. i snapped mine LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
i have a 66 bug. what type do i need. i snapped mine LOL.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D141%2D953%2D517%2DF
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D141%2D953%2D517%2DF

1966-1967 switch. Looks like both versions are out of stock. Quite a price difference.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

holly cow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Turn Signal Switch Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
holly cow
Welcome to vintage vehicle ownership.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: