Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
engine compartment. Did a cursory cleaning.

This harness to the fuel pump can be reused, but I will replace with a new harness that FAS will supply. "While I am in here..."

Time today: 4 hrs
Total time: 12hrs

On my '88, while doing my I4 swap, I found a pretty corroded wire in that fuel pump harness. Ended up replacing at least 1/2 of that wire. Great to see the details and time spent. Thanks.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
i live in,,, califonia,,,,sigh

Diesel should be a-ok, no?
Some people call him Maurice...
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

I highly recommend using marine grade wire when replacing the old stuff. I have stripped back old wire both in Vanagons and boats looking for shiny copper only to find corroded brown the whole way. Marine wire has each and every one of the strands individually tinned prior to gathering into the final insulated bundle. This stuff will cost a tiny bit more, but will never give any trouble down the road.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

Try this link, but there are many choices.

http://www.bestboatwire.com/marine-wire
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

Great thread. Nice choice in the kit. I eyed it for quite some time.

Congrats on the child on the way! Your super-van may support years of adventure for the kids to learn from. Fun.

Enjoy the heck outta all of it!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

Day 3: Wiring, brackets, and misc

The kit comes with an additional harness from the new ECU under the rear seat to the dash which includes the OBDII port, to be mounted behind the glove box. It requires that you put a 1.5" hole in the transverse frame rail at the rear of the gas tank, and another in the firewall behind the front headlight.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The harness runs from under the rear seat on the drivers side, crosses over to the inside of the passenger frame rail, then over the gas tank to the front right corner of the van. Fishing the harness required dropping the gas tank a few inches.....again. Getting good at that. Then it runs through the hole you made in the front firewall to the area behind the glove box, where the solenoid for the cruise control and the obdII connector can be mounted.

From there, fish the harness through the dash to the instrument cluster area, where the cruise control module will be mounted. A few other connections are made with supplied connectors.

Following the install of the dash harness, I installed the intercooler and the bracket for the coolant bottle and power steering reservoir in the engine bay. Fairly straight forward, the manual is pretty clear about how to locate these:

Also replaced all the fuel lines with new line, installed the new fuel pump included with the kit, and new filter.

I still have the ECU to engine bay harness but I'll wait until the ECU, the engine, and everything else show up, hopefully in about a week.

Time today: 4hrs
Total time: 16hrs
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

Posting from work, wife sent me these pics just now....

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

It's currently 3:30 your time. We expect photos and excited posting in no less than 3 hours from now.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

That’s gonna be a fun box to open!!!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

I'm so glad to see your treasure is guarded by a lion 🦁. Have fun! Looking forward to viewing your progress FAS has got it going on IMO.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

I'm sure you're going to be super happy with the GenVT. I've been driving the NA drive by wire version for a couple of years now in an '86 Westy, and my turbo kit just arrived today Smile I got caught in the same wastegate backorder issue that you did. The NA DBW kit is really all the HP anyone *needs*, but boys 'n toys you know...couldn't resist.

Keith Hughes
'86 Westy GenV (Marvin)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

I live in Cali-handcuff-smog-a-fornia. sigh

Ok. Humor me for a minute. Drifting off topic . Sorry

So. A guy lives in Wa state with a bone stock Vanagon. Wakes up one day and wants to do a FAS . Drops the coin. All goes well with the swap. What goes down next time a smog cert is due? Is there a smog? What if he sells ?

Humble apologies . I’m wearing thick ass wine goggles at the moment and just don’t understand how you guys can have so much fun .

I’m kicking my weekender to the curb because I don’t see the end justifying the means . We have our share of legal transplants but I’m still in handcuffs

Moderator can totally delete my inquiry. It’s all good
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

I live in WA, and there are no smog inspections in my end of the Puget Sound. In the areas that do smog, I gather they're mostly interested in the tailpipe emissions and not what you're using to produce them, here.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

Yep, I really don't understand California. You can stuff a 600 hp engine in an older car but you can't put a cleaner engine in a newer car?

It should only be about what comes out the tailpipe.

(sorry about the thread-jack)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

How about an update on how you're liking the conversion? I'm starting to look at this engine as an option for our Westy, and would love to hear your impressions so far.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

Kirsche Wasserboxer wrote:
How about an update on how you're liking the conversion? I'm starting to look at this engine as an option for our Westy, and would love to hear your impressions so far.

Not sure about the OP, but I've been driving the Turbo GenV conversion in an '86 full Westy now for several months and couldn't be happier. Much more power, especially at altitudes, than the NA version. It's quieter with the turbo, and daily driving the mileage is the same - well, once you get past the lead foot stage - and in heavy climbing in the mountains I've picked up about 1 mpg over the NA version, staying in 4th gear much more.

Honestly, the NA GenV was plenty of power, especially going from a 2.1 wbx you'd be amazed (I was coming from a Tiico which was gutless in comparison, although more powerful than the 2.1 was). Both versions are smooth as silk with great driveability, although with the turbo its truly like driving a modern vehicle with a factory spec'd drivetrain. Running around town boost usually stays below 3 psig, and I haven't had it over 8 psig yet (both RPM and throttle position controlled). So stress on the engine from the turbo isn't really an issue unless you go crazy.

No problems with the NA base kit in over 2 1/2 years either. But after installing the turbo kit to an already installed NA GenV, I'd strongly suggest to go turbo up front if there's any chance that later on, like me, you decide you just have to have one. Much cheaper to do it all at once, and a bunch easier to install when installing the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Yep, I really don't understand California. You can stuff a 600 hp engine in an older car but you can't put a cleaner engine in a newer car?

It should only be about what comes out the tailpipe.

(sorry about the thread-jack)

Since you started the hijack ( Laughing ): OR, you can put in a diesel that is WAY dirtier exhaust wise, and not even have to test it. I'm all for cleaner air, but the CARB way seems pretty foolish to me. My conversion is illegal there, but has 1/4 of the CO, NOX, and HC that my WBX did. What sense does that make?
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

wait, so this is another one of these threads with no ending? So frustrating.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
wait, so this is another one of these threads with no ending? So frustrating.

Irony, so underused these days.
heynanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant: 2.1 WBX to FAS Gen V 2.0T Reply with quote

Okay! It’s mid 2019!

WHAT HAPPENED? Cool
1984 Westfailia Vanagon EJ22 “ Guinness”
2006 Dodge Sprinter (long/tall)
2006 Winnebago View (in case the buses aren’t cooperating)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: