Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

I was at Freds Garage yesterday, for an oil chance in my daughters Jetta.

I also wanted help with a CEL light that says there is a code for injection timing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They referred me to this resource, for the injection pump issue, but said this person is not just for oil changes, he specializes in more advanced problem solving:

I have always received excellent service from Freds Garage. Im also happy for them to have the opportunity to retire from servicing old VW's.

Suggestions welcome on an alternative shop, near Stanford, for oil changes and other general maintenance for a 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Freds Garage is closing Reply with quote

Bummer.

My van is now far removed from Fred's, but I've got a pile of receipts and compression reading stickers on the hatch from Fred's thanks to the 2nd owners. My van spent a fair amount of time at that place. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Freds Garage is closing Reply with quote

I was there today, saying hello and goodbye to John (one of the owners, I was told). Another great service provider, saying good bye and hello to retirement. Can't blame them for that.

Craig
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Freds Garage is closing Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

Suggestions welcome on an alternative shop, near Stanford, for oil changes and other general maintenance for a 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon.

Bit of a drive to San Anselmo, but this guy has been a TDI enthusiast for many years, his signature has a link to email him http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3770236&postcount=40

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Freds Garage is closing Reply with quote

Jon
Next time you're in town come and buy me lunch at least. Miro is a super sharp Diagnostician, he found a problem with my 96 Tdi that no one could. I don't know if he is goin to want a flood of Vanagons or Air Cooled cars. But on late model VW-BMW-MB and the like he can fix anything.
Having Fred's gone will be a shame, they have a steady clientele but by their own admission the new cars were kicking their Ass and their Techs which are actually Mechanics could not keep up with today Technology.
I have a great relationship with them and have referred many people and they have sent quite a few jobs my way.
It's a sign of the times that they can make more or easier money by renting out the property with less headaches then running a business.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Freds Garage is closing Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Bummer.

My van is now far removed from Fred's, but I've got a pile of receipts and compression reading stickers on the hatch from Fred's thanks to the 2nd owners. My van spent a fair amount of time at that place. Cool

Thanks to Manfred, I can tell you that my plugs were changed in 1995 and the engine compression was good at that time.

I don't think this kind of service has existed for a long time.
jb144
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Freds Garage is closing Reply with quote

It's sad to see Fred's go.
Any recommendations closer to San Francisco or Marin for a replacement shop?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Freds Garage is closing Reply with quote

jb144 wrote:
recommendations closer to San Francisco...?
... buslabs too expensive for me

I agree buslab is expensive, let us know if you find something that works better for you.

If you dont do your own work, and cannot afford to pay a professional, maybe owning a Vanagon is going to be too expensive for you. If so, maybe think about buying something newer and more reliable.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

Having had the (mis)fortune of sampling all of the aforementioned shops - I would steer you to Valley Wagonworks, and it's not even close
jb144
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

Thanks Jon, extremely helpful comment.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

its tough love here on the Samba but a labor rate of $130 in urban CA is probably low. Anyone charging less and you will end up in a thread about how they busted your Bus....I mean, Van.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

jb144 wrote:
Thanks Jon, extremely helpful comment.

youre welcome

I see you started your own threads and asked the same question in October last year
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687760&highlight=

and again in March this year
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695940&highlight=

each time you have received recommendations, you have found reasons why you dont want to use the suggested shops

I hope you get to the end of your research soon, and tell us who you found acceptable for your needs
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

What's interesting is that a couple days before they closed, Fred's Garage told me that they were working with Redwood General Tire of Redwood City in taking over Fred's customer list and that a couple of Fred's employees might be moving over there as well.

Then yesterday, I received a postcard from Redwood General Tire, that it was time for me to have my Vanagon tires rotated, oil changed, brakes inspected, etc.

Hmmmmm. Maybe this is the beginning of a new vanagon repair center.

Craig
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
What's interesting is that a couple days before they closed, Fred's Garage told me that they were working with Redwood General Tire of Redwood City in taking over Fred's customer list and that a couple of Fred's employees might be moving over there as well.

Then yesterday, I received a postcard from Redwood General Tire, that it was time for me to have my Vanagon tires rotated, oil changed, brakes inspected, etc.

Hmmmmm. Maybe this is the beginning of a new vanagon repair center.

I hope youre right. I have not received that notice (yet). Thanks for sharing info.

When I asked Freds if they wanted to sell the repair shop location and business, they said no, that a non automotive tenant was going to be Leasing the property and that the only thing they could sell was their phone number, but that the service shop location would not be available.

I just checked and Redwood General Tire already has a location, 1.5 miles away from Freds Garage. From which I infer that Redwood General Tire bought the customer list, but is not going to be operating from Freds location.

If my conjecture is correct, we basically have a tire shop that is inviting Vanagons to go there for oil, tires and brakes, same as any other tire shop, such as BiG O.

I do find it encouraging that some of Freds staff may be on site at the tire shop in the future.

I do not think I am hearing that this will be a new Vanagon repair shop for major mechanical systems such as motors, electrical, heating and cooling systems, lift springs, canvass replacement, tuneups, transmission repair, nor lighting upgrades.

iow no overnight or multi day jobs that will tie up a lift.

afaict
Its just a tire shop willing to do tires, oil and brakes. Roll in Roll out, same day service.

I look forward to more info
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

I only know at this point that it was talk back when they were getting ready to close. Don't know for sure that anyone was actually hired. Would be cool, if so.

Craig
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

East coast version of Jon’s comment

If you don’t have money or ability to fix your Vanagon, you will be off the road in 5 years. In 5 years, even money won’t help you.

That should be useful for planning purposes at least.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

Yes, but in a real world there are those who in fact do buy these rigs and might not have the ability to repair their own rigs, at certain degrees and are seeking for professional help. Just trying to help them.

Craig
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
in a real world there are those who in fact do buy these rigs and might not have the ability to repair their own rigs

There are different types of van owners, some are good with wrenches, others are not, and have to pay to play. I resemble the latter.

in the Harley world, the latter are referred to as Posers.
Wrenches, spend less money and more time on the road.
Posers spend more money, and less time on the road.

It is no easy task to keep a 30 year old van roadworthy,
but they sure are a beautiful platform when they are working Smile
If you can afford to play.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

If you guys are having trouble finding Vanagon expertise in urban CA, it’s a harbinger that the pro help is ending. If you look at the reviews of guys who claim to specialize , they are still screwing up routinely; translation, the old guy who knows the stuff is now managing rather than turning the wrench, and that means you Van won’t be fixed right. My partner has a toy in Tiburon, and flat beds it to shops to fix, but he has the coin to do that. His running costs are probably $5 per mile.

The message here is that you will have to come to mechanics terms with the ass that bears you, as in 5 years I think you will be on your own

There are still way too many “it was running great yesterday and it stopped...where is the distributor ?” Threads.
daytripper1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fred's Garage is closing ~ What shops to use in Bay Area? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
East coast version of Jon’s comment

If you don’t have money or ability to fix your Vanagon, you will be off the road in 5 years. In 5 years, even money won’t help you.

That should be useful for planning purposes at least.

I believe that time has already come in the southeast. My hometown aircooled/T2 shop doesnt have techs with real experience anymore. After moving away I havent found anyone here who works on this stuff.

Trying to learn all I can as fast as I can.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: