Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with 74 vert top install
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdz76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

I am having hell with the search function and am ready to tackle putting on a new headliner padding kit and top on a 74 super and have questions I can not find answers to. I bought a kit and the company it was purchased from will not supply any type of instructions or answer any questions for me

Can anyone point me to a good thread on a late install or can tell me how the headliner attaches in the rear as well as the front header bow? Also the proper orientation of the wood bow and what screws are needed to attach it to the top mechanism?

Thanks in advance
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

This sticky thread was a breeze to find. "Convertible top" is a good search starter. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508902

You will never get an expert, complete tutorial on such a complicated install. The best upholstery shops aren't going to give away their IP either.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
kdz76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
This sticky thread was a breeze to find. "Convertible top" is a good search starter. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508902

You will never get an expert, complete tutorial on such a complicated install. The best upholstery shops aren't going to give away their IP either.

Thanks for your reply.

I have read that stickyand there was a wealth of information however I am looking for info on a 74 which is a curved window super not a flat window the header bow is completely different as it is all metal is a different shape and has no wood. The rear does of the 74 also does not have a wood bow along the rear package tray area.

I have done my search of convertible top and it shows quite a few pages and have spent a few hours going thru them but have yet to find the info that is pertinent to the 73 and up cars this is why my thread for help.

If the company that I bought everything from would have provided the info that was supposed to come with the parts it would have been a much easier process. I will not name the company I purchased from but It’s a shame that I spent a half hour on the phone explaining my needs to a reputable business that took 3 shipments over two weeks to get my order correct and have yet to call me back after 6 voicemails and countless emails to address the missing info
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

Chuck's is the only one that prints instructions, quite good ones actually.

But

If you bought your top elsewhere?
He isn't going to sell them to you.

I had a set, like a fool I leant them to a nice old lady moon lighting in upholstery.

She screwed me over and I've never seen her or my instructions again!

Someone here with a very custom Beetle made a video he was selling.

Lime green? Custom dash, lots of mods.
Can't remember his name.

FLYBOAT !!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=220552

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503782&highlight=

He had it for sale for awhile.....

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarity- I'm used to folks not trying hard to find what they need. There really is not a whole lot of differences in the super beetle top though. Karmann didn't change much of their perfected beetle formula just because of a curved WS. But honestly, if you cannot draw comparisons it may be simply out of your wheelhouse. You can spot a less-than expert top job from 100 feet away. Just visit the late beetle vert classifieds and don't do what half of them did. Cool

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
kdz76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Thanks for the clarity- I'm used to folks not trying hard to find what they need. There really is not a whole lot of differences in the super beetle top though. Karmann didn't change much of their perfected beetle formula just because of a curved WS. But honestly, if you cannot draw comparisons it may be simply out of your wheelhouse. You can spot a less-than expert top job from 100 feet away. Just visit the late beetle vert classifieds and don't do what half of them did. Cool

Thanks for the negativity.... when you get a chance look at the differences in the top mechanisms there are quite drastic changes...

It may not be in my "wheel house" right now but how do you get better at doing something by seeking advice from others and doing it. The spending money aspect of buying parts a second time doesn't scare me I want to be able to say I can do a top and have it look great and be HELPFUL to others that run into the same and have questions.

I am pretty sure because of this response i wont be receiving any further help on this subject
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

Here is a link to a good description:

http://vwlinkan.se/cab/cabrio/new_top.html

I have installed three convertible tops, and I wouldn't be too worried about the differences between a flat window and a curved window super. Don't let that stop you, once you are into the process you will figure it out. The principles for the job and the difficult parts are the same on both cars.

Some lessons learned for me is to be really thorough when you staple the padding fabric to the wooden bow over the rear window.

And generally, take your time, of course.

Before you start, take good measurements of the rear bow and rear window position if you are going to replace the straps. After the old top is off, it will be just guesswork if you haven't measured the old rear window position.

And a very important one: Order the rear window tacking ring from Chuck. It REALLY makes a difference when you come to the point of re-installing your rear window. Reason is that your old nylon ring most likely is swollen and hard and you will struggle with getting the window in again.

https://chucksconvertibleparts.com/index.php/categ...ing-2.html

The screws you are asking about are standard flat head wood screws, buy them from your local hardware store. Orientation: The highest point on the bow towards the front of the car.

The headliner is mounted with steel rods which are held in place under the small bendable metal pieces that are tack-welded to the inside of the body (poor explanation, I know). Up front it is held in place under the metal profile that is screwed to the frame.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

Kdz- You have read way too much negativity into my words and not enough reality- big difference. You will receive plenty of advice here. I will stand firm on the idea that the basic work you are doing is not far off from what a '71 and previous top entails.

I am trying to be productive by suggesting that tutorials on the work will get you close enough that the year differences (1303s) will not be a hang up. If you choose to disregard the available testimonies from these other DIYers then you're intentionally limiting a full understanding of how to proceed.

I recently replaced my canvas popup on my '65 Westy and I compared several different threads on the subject. One installer really knew the folds, another knew what staples to buy- another DIYer found out which company to buy the canvas from, etc. The best advice came from someone with a bay window and a full top- the most unlikely source in my eyes.

FU#5
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

Good info....Will be doing this in a couple months
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdz76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

Boble wrote:
Here is a link to a good description:

http://vwlinkan.se/cab/cabrio/new_top.html

I have installed three convertible tops, and I wouldn't be too worried about the differences between a flat window and a curved window super. Don't let that stop you, once you are into the process you will figure it out. The principles for the job and the difficult parts are the same on both cars.

Some lessons learned for me is to be really thorough when you staple the padding fabric to the wooden bow over the rear window.

And generally, take your time, of course.

Before you start, take good measurements of the rear bow and rear window position if you are going to replace the straps. After the old top is off, it will be just guesswork if you haven't measured the old rear window position.

And a very important one: Order the rear window tacking ring from Chuck. It REALLY makes a difference when you come to the point of re-installing your rear window. Reason is that your old nylon ring most likely is swollen and hard and you will struggle with getting the window in again.

https://chucksconvertibleparts.com/index.php/categ...ing-2.html

The screws you are asking about are standard flat head wood screws, buy them from your local hardware store. Orientation: The highest point on the bow towards the front of the car.

The headliner is mounted with steel rods which are held in place under the small bendable metal pieces that are tack-welded to the inside of the body (poor explanation, I know). Up front it is held in place under the metal profile that is screwed to the frame.

This is great info in regards to what I needed thanks so much.
The car that I am restoring was a bucket of parts and figuring out what has been missing has been the biggest challenge. so I will be taking the measurements from the shop manuals as to location of wooden bow and double checking every measurement for window placement to make sure its centered in the top as well as proper for vertical alignment

I was able to find info on the metal rods that went in the header bow and along the package tray area and source some from a local metal shop but had no idea how it would have worked putting a headliner under the front metal rod.

It was not until yesterday that I found out I was missing the front screw in plate I was able to find a guy that lives about 2 hours away that had one I could borrow to make a template to fabricate one
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

Quote:
I was able to find info on the metal rods that went in the header bow and along the package tray area and source some from a local metal shop but had no idea how it would have worked putting a headliner under the front metal rod.

A little misunderstanding here. The steel rods up front hold the web straps, not the headliner. The headliner is held in place by the metal tim plate that is screwed into the frame.

Quote:

It was not until yesterday that I found out I was missing the front screw in plate I was able to find a guy that lives about 2 hours away that had one I could borrow to make a template to fabricate one

If your friend is able to reproduce that plate he is definitely an artist Wink

https://chucksconvertibleparts.com/index.php/categories/bug-convertibles/metal-trim-plate.html
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=151871049d

Be advised that the plate is very visible when the roof is down and should not be too homemade ...
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

would this help?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=587316
lacolin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 74 vert top install Reply with quote

I just finished a new top, pad and headliner for my 69 bug. I bought from Chucks Convertibles and it came with a book. He also answered several questions by phone. This was a really difficult project for me . I am more into the mechanical. Its been a month since the install and I can see imperfections and a couple staple bumps showing through the top on the back window bow. I think I am going to take it off and start over. I am also going to check prices on a couple of convertible shops in Los Angeles. This is one of those things where you will see every flaw if its not done just right .

Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: