Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

hello, last year i purchased a 1966 vw beetle. my plan is to do a body off restoration. However their is a big twist. somebody chopped the bugs butt off and its face off(aka baja)
But luckily im saving the bug and converting it back. and yes i know you guys are going to say... why dont you just get a original one for a grand or two. well that answer is easy. its because i want a challenge.my plan is to build a 2332 dp. but i want to add a cb performance fuel injection and turbo kit if i feel the need. but for now im saving money. i want to paint it sea blue and install disk brakes. i also want to make it handle better as much as to my ability.the car is a GA car so yes its rusty but not too bad. yes the rear floor pans are gone but thats normal in the south. i think someone sprayed rust converter on the heater channels. PLEASE TELL ME IF SO. I AM GOING TO POST A PICTURE OF IT VERY SOON. the only other rust spot is on the left rear bottom corner. i will also post a pic of that too. the original color of the car was red. i do have the original engine still. also please tell me how much i can lower it without hurting my handling. and yes the previous owner was a dumb ass and put bondo where their wasn't and body damage. to be exact on how much bondo he put LITERALLY half of an inch if bondo lol. their is one minor tent that i am going to have to patch. i want a blue and white interior from TMI/jbugs. i will add on to this but PLEASE tell me tips on anything. this is my first resto and i want to make as little mistakes as possible. thank you and have a blessed day Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

also if anyone has a engine stand adapter/hanger that you dont need PLEASE SELL IT TO ME. price is fine as long as its under $36 shipped. i can use my dads paypal. i live in good hope GA so if you are close i can pick it up. thanks

my email address is [email protected] .
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

You're talking thousands and thousands of $ to do what you want with what's shown pictured. Best of luck.
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

1. Make it run and drive safely.
2. Make it handle better.
3. Make it faster.
4. Make it pretty.

Step 3 and 4 can be switched.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

OK - interesting project...and don't be afraid to ask. But I would suggest being straight with your questions (not like the engine thread) and have thick skin if someone says something that offends. Most folks on here are wanting to help, particularly kids.

Right now you are working on more of a wish list. What you want to do eventually is put together a "punch list". This is a series of tasks on a logical order to achieve a goal. Excel spread sheet is a nice tool for this.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

well, right now i want to rebuild and sell that engine so i can restore my chassis. that i know for sure. then if i have any money left over i can get a head start on my 1600dp. then i will have to work my ass off to restore the body and install all of the interior.this is just a short summed up list.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

You won't make a nickel rebuilding and selling off the 1300 so get that out of your head. Either rebuild it and run it, or sell it as is and get whatever you can for it.

Your plans for the car are going to cost you 20k+, a full shop, and tons, and tons, of hours. Maybe you should think about just getting what you got moving under it's own power, and roadworthy first. Just getting that car roadworthy will take you to your 16th birthday, and a driver's license. After getting the car roadworthy you might begin to understand what kind of labor it takes to restore a car.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

Good point....Get your 1300 working and use it in your car. I doubt if you will make enough from selling it and you will still need to build another engine for the car.

And what is real tough for someone your age is to get a job that generates much money.....Look into your local VW scene. There are plenty of folks that are thinning out their parts and seeing stuff go to a good home is better than sending it to the scrap yard. Start asking around.

Every couple months I hear about someone getting out of the hobby and liquidating. Example....A year ago I got a call from an older lady to see if I may be interested in some of her husbands stuff since he needs to get the garage cleaned out some. Set up an appointment - drove over to check it out. Boxes of brand new small parts.. Some seats, fenders, decklids AND a rebuilt 1500 or 1600 plus various other odds and ends. I tested the waters and made an offer of a grand....They said that was the magic number...Came back later that day and hauled it all to the shop.

There are also instances where someone will just stop by the shop with a pile of parts and ask if I want them.....Hell ya! Now, probably 30-50% end up in the dumpster, but what is left is gold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

yes i fully understand what your saying. i just had a guy in south GA ask me if i wanted 100s of parts. seriously hundreds. he wanted 120 bucks for all of it. he had a 40hp engine, porsche 914,1600dp,and lots of parts. like you said, most of it was junk because it was sitting in a shed for years but their were good parts like fenders, steering wheels, stinger exhaust, windows,etc. i agree
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

also from other peoples experience how much does it usually cost to restore a chassis.(not including rebuilt transmission)i already have a new master cylinder and rebuilt rear brakes. yes i want disk brakes in the front and most likely coil overs in the rear. adjustable if possible.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

also please check this out.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694694&highlight=
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

also please check this out.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694694&highlight=
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

All depends on the amount of rot.

The beam needs inspected closely. Look for rot on the vertical members between the tubes and at the bottom. If all good, then all you need to do with it is new seals for the control arms ($20), ball joints (Febi at CIP1 about $13 each) Tie rod ends (about $10 each) and shocks of your choice. Shop charge to press in ball joints is usually around $10-20 each. Couple cans of paint. If its rotted, center sections arent that expensive with adjusters - I just got one in for a 67...I think $250? I cant stress enough carefully inspecting....I "repaired" a rusty one a couple years ago. Left the control arms in and welded and patched the rust pretty well. Nice paint job as well. Pulled the control arms and it was rotted in the lower tubes. Real pretty piece of scrap metal.....

Rear suspension - new bushings (about $30), would suggest axle bearings seals, etc (about $50),

Then do the shift rod bushings and coupler ($30?).

Decent pan halves are about $150 each... And then just add another $100 for misc stuff.

Couple quarts of POR15 or Chassis saver - about $60

And a couple hours of work and its all done...Well maybe more than a couple Laughing

Here is something you should do - log on to CIP1.com or a similar site and go through the stuff. They have sections with the complete front suspension for example and you can just click on the part and get the price.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

THANK YOU, this makes me feel more confidant considering i had someone else tell me that its gonna cost 4000 bucks for restoring the chassis. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

also is this link worth the 150 bucks??

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C12-22-2002
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

also should i go with the 18 pound floor pans or the 14.1 . does it make much of a difference.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

so i went on cip1.com and went through everything. i think i have it all. if someone would take the time to look at the links that would be great. everything to restore the chassis expect rims,tires,and upgraded tranny turned out to be just about $1000+100 for mics.and a pro street tranny for 1200 bucks. thanks

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-90-6900
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4005
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-501-283
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-311-598-051-DLX
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4075
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4121
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-111-701-062-MT
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-111-701-061-MT
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-898-061-2
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4076
https://www.google.com/search?ei=iUiPWpzqEYHtzgLB5...oDj-451pg8
https://www.ebay.com/i/272386766898?chn=ps
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

On your shopping list above . . . looks like you are buying parts for two different cars . . . one I.R.S. and one "swing-axle"!
1966 is a "swing-axle" unless someone did a major modification!

Chickensoup wrote:
also is this link worth the 150 bucks??

No . . .
Because you will NOT use the urethane steering coupler . . . and you will NOT use the urethane transaxle mounts.
You will not use the I.R.S. bushings.
The rest of the stuff will squeak!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

Yes i did that in case i end up buying a pro street trany for a 2332.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: