Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
1966 is a "swing-axle" unless someone did a major modification!

You will need to pay close attention when anyone gives you advice . . . research it to see if it is true . . . or it could cost ya hard-earned cash!

Buy the transaxle in the link . . . it will NOT work unless someone did a major modification to the chassis!!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

Aslo what do people think about ranchero or something like that pro comp transmissions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

Is yours trans missing? Known bad?

If not get the engine to run first and see. You are putting the cart way before the horse here.

Was the car pulled out of that field to a dry place where you can even go over the car to really see what you have?

I'm all for youthful exuberance, but you need to slow down before you spend up cash on stuff you don't even know if you need. The way your going, your going to have a bunch of new parts stacked up in the corner, an empty wallet, and a rusty bug rusting away in a field.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

these pics of the heater channels look like their is rust converter sprayed on. is that so?

are the last 2 pics normal? the mounts for the shock towers are different is that normal? im replacing it anyways when i convert it.

the last pic is the very old dent i was talking about. will that require a patch or can it be brought to a body shop.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

and the pic of the inside roof has 0 rust. its insulater
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

also how to you take out the rest of the headliner on the side pillar? is their hidden pins or do i have to use bruit force?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Is yours trans missing? Known bad?

If not get the engine to run first and see. You are putting the cart way before the horse here.

Was the car pulled out of that field to a dry place where you can even go over the car to really see what you have?

I'm all for youthful exuberance, but you need to slow down before you spend up cash on stuff you don't even know if you need. The way your going, your going to have a bunch of new parts stacked up in the corner, an empty wallet, and a rusty bug rusting away in a field.

i am not spending any money on the chassis for a while. i was just planning. right now my priority id to rebuild the 1300 and sell it for 2k if possible or take the loss. and the swing trans is in the car. the car is in my yard. i own it. no the car was pulled from someones back yard. i kniw what i have and its gonna take alot of work but thats ok.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

First thing you need to do is order the Bentley manual for '66 Beetle. And Tom Wilson's book about rebuilding upright VW engines. If you're gonna convert it to 12V, then you need to read up on that and then familiarize yourself with deciphering electrical wiring diagrams. Samba has a wealth of info up above in "technical." Search through that, you'll be amazed. There's no wiring in what you have; you have a lot of work to do just get electric to the important parts that will start any engine once installed.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

their are questions by some of the photos. plz answer them
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

so i have heard that rancho transmissions are good. for my 2332 with dual carbs and c55 cam what would be the best trany i can purchase. i still want freeway gears but i also want a little kick on the street. thanks.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

That dent can be worked out by any body man. the captive nuts for the fender will have to be welded back in.

The cut pipes on the shock towers were probably for a engine cage. Not needed. Just unbolt the shocks and remove.

The headliner on the pillars is held there by the window rubber on one side, and metal teeth on the front side that can be bent open with a wide screwdriver or such. Do a search for headliner installation and you will find pictures of what I'm talking about.

However, that car is missing just about everything. The most expensive way to build a car is buying one piece at a time. Maybe find a car that's more complete and use yours for a donor? Or vise versa.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

it is missing alot ill agree but i have lots of parts in the garge like 2 engines,back seats,windows, baja kit,etc but iv seen a guy and he has 20 cars sitting in his yard. he had a nash, 65 or 66 bug, 68 camaro, second gen cuda sedan, late 40s or up to 55 chevy, etc and none of them have moved. i can probrely get it for cheap.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

pics of rear window frame
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

more stuff that came with the car
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

for the 1300 im rebuilding i have 2 pict 34s and 1 pict 30. can i run the 34 or do i need the adapter?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

Adapter but I'd use the PICT30
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

ok, thanks
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

so i have heard that rancho transmissions are good. for my 2332 with dual carbs and c55 cam what would be the best trany i can purchase. i still want freeway gears but i also want a little kick on the street. thanks
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

Yes, Rancho builds a decent trans. I would really think about what others here have said. I have built 3 66's. The one I built close to what you are looking at doing cost me over $16K. I did everything myself-body work, paint, engine, interior. The only think I didn't do was build the transmission. My car was much more complete than yours. I didn't have rusted heater channels or floor pans etc. Just had rear inner fenders and front and rear valances. You are going to be easily $20k if you do it all yourself. I know the south has rusty cars, but you would be miles ahead if you bought a cleaner car from elsewhere and had to ship it. my 2 cents.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: look at my 66 bug project+ please tell me resto tips Reply with quote

is the picture of the heater channels rust converted?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: