Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Thing Brakes Question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

Can anyone send me a link to a diagram of the front and rear brakes? I'm especially looking for the position of the big spring and the little spring that go between the shoes.

Does anyone know which bolt is correct for attaching the wheel cylinders to the backing plates?
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

Hope these help:

Front
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear

As far as bolts, I believe they are M8x1.5.

If you don't have it, the VW Thing Service Manual and parts manual under the Technical Section of the site is a huge help!

jay
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

Thanks Jay!
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

In the book How to Keep your VW Alive and in the Type 181 parts manual they show the Big Spring going under the Brake Cylinder. Here is a picture showing the correct placement.
GB
[/img]
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

Hmmm, the bigger spring on the wheel cylinder side. Higher tension on that side. That kind of makes some sort of sense. It has to push the brake fluid back into the MC.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

Yes, larger spring by the wheel cylinder.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

The bolt size for the wheel cylinder is actually m8X1.25
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

Another question about the rear brakes this time guys, well it actually a general VW brakes observation and question.

The connecting bar that levers the hand brake. When I install it with the "dimple" down, it makes contact with the backing plate retention bolts. When I try to center the shoes to make clearance for the drum to fit, when I tap the shoe that is messing up the clearance down (tap, tap, tap), the connecting bar levers the other shoe up because it is touching the backing plate bolts. This makes the other side keep the drum from fitting on. Does the connecting bar "dimpled" side go up or down?

Looks like I have two connecting bars from the same side. One ends up with the dimple pointing up and clears the backing plate bolts while the other side has to have the dimple pointing down and gets in the way like this. I guess I could grind off the dimple enough to make things work, or I could find another one that is situated for the clearance. What is right?

Picture coming next......
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing Brakes Question Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the Rear Brake installed, hope this helps.
GB

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: